airline help please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

airline help please?

In a couple of weeks, we will be looking to actually PURCHASE plane tickets!!!! Its been sooooooooo long of a wait! So, I need to know, what websites do I find the best prices? and is there a secret to getting the best deals?

any advice? We are both in the United States...but I honestly have never purchased an airline ticket..and know nothing about it.

There are lots and lots of different websites, and as I'm not from the States I'm sure other people have plenty of suggestions.

This is a site I use and find it very helpful. https://www.skyscanner.net/

Also, check out the airlines websites directly if they are having a sale. They dont always advertise their sale prices through third party websites. Bit tedious I know but worth it if you can save some money

Best of luck!
    Tea and hugs make the world go round - don't ever discount the little things in life.

Smiling away to oneself brings an obscene amount of joy when only you know the reason why your smiling. Pick something secret to smile about and let it light up your face all day long!

And remember....Love really IS all around.

Comment

I'd suggest making sure you check who charges fees for what things. Southwest Airlines (southwest.com) doesn't charge any hidden fees, which means you don't get charged for a checked bag, and their prices are competitive. I used to use Expedia, as they had the best prices, but now I'm using Southwest a lot more due to the same pricing with more (can change tickets, check bags with no fees)

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

Thank you sooo much! I just checked out that website and I found some for only $208 round trip!!!

Comment

Silviar...have you had experience with American Airlines? How do I go about seeing who charges what? On the same days, I found at south west the price to be $265, and american airlines was $208...but I don't know what the fees are for american airlines.

Comment

kayak.com is the greatest website EVER (minus the fact they don't show Southwest Airlines)

Definitely be flexible on dates (kayak will let you search within like a 6 day radius)

And you just have to go to the airlines website and look under Baggage to find out weight limits and how much they charge for overweight or extra luggage.

Comment

Originally posted by agentholli View Post
              Silviar...have you had experience with American Airlines? How do I go about seeing who charges what? On the same days, I found at south west the price to be $265, and american airlines was $208...but I don't know what the fees are for american airlines.
              The big one you want to look for is baggage - they all charge for baggage, and here's AA's fees: https://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/041208_CheckBagFee.jsp - one bag is $25 each way, and the second bag is an additional $35 each way.

If you want a snack or drinks, check to make sure AA doesn't charge for those, or that whoever is flying has their food needs met before getting on the plane. Some airlines charge for those. Other than that, I doubt you'd buy anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by mllebamako View Post
                kayak.com is the greatest website EVER (minus the fact they don't show Southwest Airlines)

Definitely be flexible on dates (kayak will let you search within like a 6 day radius)

And you just have to go to the airlines website and look under Baggage to find out weight limits and how much they charge for overweight or extra luggage.
                See, I've tried using kayak, and they haven't shown me better prices than expedia yet. I don't know if it's the destinations I pick or what, but I was disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by Silviar View Post
                  See, I've tried using kayak, and they haven't shown me better prices than expedia yet. I don't know if it's the destinations I pick or what, but I was disappointed.
                  Kayak searches hundreds of travel sites and airline websites. Since it searches Expedia, if expedia has the best rate than nothing will show up as cheaper on Kayak. But that way you're covered if there is something cheaper than expedia.
                  I just like Kayak's website. I find it really easy to search, change dates, eliminate certain airlines, search multiple dates, etc.

Comment

I've been using Southwest for my flights, if I can. The ability to check a bag (or 2) without extra fees usually outweighs the cost of another airline. Plus, I like that you can change your ticket at any time up until the flight leaves. You can't always get a complete refund, but you can use the funds for a different flight altogether if you need to.

Comment

I use Southwest because I signed up for their frequent flyer plan to try and earn a free ticket. Plus they have flights out of Orlando all day long so it's easy to grab a flight out of here to go see him. The no baggage fee is a big one because those can get expensive, especially if you go over the weight limit. I also suggest paying the $10 extra for early bird check in. Southwest doesn't assign seats, it's first come first serve, so you want to try and get on as quickly as you can. I've not been past Aisle 9 with my early bird check in. Plus I think their flight staff is friendlier than most others. I flew United about 2 years ago and wasn't impressed but it seems like the Southwest flight attendants are always having fun.

Comment

Thank you so much ladies! See if the baggage is that much to have then its WAY cheaper to fly SouthWest...we would pay more with American Airlines. I was suprised to see that it was so cheap. Last time I looked the tickets were closer to $600. So..im thinking that maybe southwest is the way to go. I learned so much from you guys answering this forum. Thank you! American Airlines you do have to pay for food/snacks.

Comment

Southwest is DEFINITELY the way to go. I had awful experiences with American Airlines! I did use Expedia and Orbitz a lot until I really dug down to see what else I could find. My family had been using Southwest for their vacation flights to Vegas so I decided to check Southwest for my flight to Orlando. I was AMAZED by how cheap they can be! Now, of course, it always depends on what time of the year you fly/what day.

The no baggage fees are FABULOUS! And yes, when you finish the math, Southwest is the better way to go! Not to mention, they are excellent, cheerful people (or at least the flights I've been on). Some people don't like the "seat wherever you like" and the lack of seating assignments...I think it feels more easy-going, come-on-in-make-yourself-comfortable-enjoy-your-flight feel to it

*~*~*Forever & Always*~*~*

Comment

$208 roundtrip is an amazing price! I would buy that ticket as soon as I was able, since like I mentioned, you can easily change your flight if needed (though you do need to pay any difference in ticket price if the prices have gone up).

Comment

i don't have any advice with inter american flying, but i just wanted to say i'm so excited for you!!
                              Don't be dismayed at goodbyes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again.
                              And meeting again, after moments or lifetime, is certain for those who are friends.
                              ~Richard Bach

“Always,” said Snape.

Comment

Working...
                              X