First time flyer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time flyer.

I'll be flying for the first time when I go to meet my SO and I'm a bit nervous about it. I've already been researching different sites online to find the best price for my ticket so that really isn't a problem. Does anyone have any tips or advice when I actually get to the airport or when I'm actually on the plane? I really have no idea what to expect. Thanks.

Leave yourself the recommended time by your airline + 1 hour + extra travel time if its rush hour, a busy route etc.

For international flights be at the airport at least 3 hours before your flight departs. For internal at least 2. That's my general rule of thumb.

I always end up getting to the airport WAY early, often before baggage check even opens! But its ok, it means I have plenty of time to familiarise myself, get some coffee or food and generally not have to stress out

Check your airlines baggage weight and size restrictions. Some of them can be particularly strict, although again general rule of thumb I've found on international flights (BA, Virgin, AA) is up to an additional 4 or 5 pounds they'll sometimes let slide, but its better to be within the weight limit when you get there.

Bring some snacks with you if its going to be a long flight. Even though they provide things on most aiirlines its nice to have some stuff you know you like to snack on (chocolate, fruit etc)

Be aware that there is very strict restrictions on fluids. I tend to not pack any in my carry on and put all my shampoos etc in my checked bag. Also make sure you have cash to get a bottle of water etc once through security, airports can be very dry and the plane especially.

Bring plenty to read/do (magazine, book, laptop, handheld game etc) especially if you followed my first tip!

As for being on the flight, I dont know if your nervous about flying or not. Not wanting to undermine anyone who is scared or unsure of flying but personal I find there's nothing to worry about, and I actually really enjoy it.

Take off and landing in particular. Especially as once that plane takes off I know the wait to see my SO is SOOOO nearly over! And once it lands I know its only another hour tops to get through security and baggage claim etc and then I see him!

Oh and also I wouldn't recommend drinking on your flight if its the first time, even if its only a short flight.

Hope thats all helpful for you.
    Tea and hugs make the world go round - don't ever discount the little things in life.

Smiling away to oneself brings an obscene amount of joy when only you know the reason why your smiling. Pick something secret to smile about and let it light up your face all day long!

And remember....Love really IS all around.

Comment

Thank you! It's not an international flight. I'm going from Ohio to Texas.

Comment

If you've got a cold or are otherwise stuffed up, bring gum for the takeoff. Heck, maybe bring gum anyway, just in case. It helps relieve the pressure in your ears-- once you're up in the air, you can spit it out whenever (but not wherever, please, that's just rude ). It's been a while since I needed it, and I don't remember if the pressure does the same thing during landings. Sure, you could just swallow repeatedly, but that gets tedious when the gum does the same thing pretty much subconsciously so you can focus on how cool it is to be up in the air.

Stretch your legs as best you can, every so often. If you've got an aisle seat, it's easier, but pay attention to people walking past.

It is easier to get too cold on the plane than too hot. Given how little room to maneuver there is, I keep the fleece lining of my jacket on the entire flight with the outer shell over my knees and if I get too warm, I turn on the fan overhead instead of taking off the fleece. Usually, it isn't long before I can turn the fan back off.

Read the Skymall magazine. Laugh at some of the utterly ridiculous things people apparently will buy. Someday I will get up the nerve to ask a flight attendant if they've ever seen anyone actually whip out the enormous inflatable pillow that rests on your lap and allows you to sleep while leaning forward.

There are differing opinions on whether you must ask first before leaning your seat back, but do be aware that laptop screens have been cracked before, so at least move slowly enough that the person behind you has time to react.

Comment

Originally posted by Gelfling View Post
          If you've got a cold or are otherwise stuffed up, bring gum for the takeoff. Heck, maybe bring gum anyway, just in case. It helps relieve the pressure in your ears-- once you're up in the air, you can spit it out whenever (but not wherever, please, that's just rude ). It's been a while since I needed it, and I don't remember if the pressure does the same thing during landings. Sure, you could just swallow repeatedly, but that gets tedious when the gum does the same thing pretty much subconsciously so you can focus on how cool it is to be up in the air.

Stretch your legs as best you can, every so often. If you've got an aisle seat, it's easier, but pay attention to people walking past.

It is easier to get too cold on the plane than too hot. Given how little room to maneuver there is, I keep the fleece lining of my jacket on the entire flight with the outer shell over my knees and if I get too warm, I turn on the fan overhead instead of taking off the fleece. Usually, it isn't long before I can turn the fan back off.

Read the Skymall magazine. Laugh at some of the utterly ridiculous things people apparently will buy. Someday I will get up the nerve to ask a flight attendant if they've ever seen anyone actually whip out the enormous inflatable pillow that rests on your lap and allows you to sleep while leaning forward.

There are differing opinions on whether you must ask first before leaning your seat back, but do be aware that laptop screens have been cracked before, so at least move slowly enough that the person behind you has time to react.
          Love these tips/suggestions! Thank you. I'm not at all looking forward to being crammed into a tiny seat. I'm fairly tall so I know I'll be uncomfortable, but he's worth it.

Comment

Definitely bring something to do. I usually bring a book, but if there's something else you like to do that's easy to transport, bring that. I would definitely buy a bottle of water once you get through security. Airplanes always dry me out for some reason. I definitely recommend the gum that Gelfling said. Either gum or some kind of hard candy. Also, make sure to eat something before you leave home. Most airlines charge you for snacks on domestic flights.
            When you check in, see if you're able to upgrade. Some airlines allow you to do this for a minimal cost. I've seen it as low as $20. That way, you get a little bit of extra leg room and a little bit more comfort. Depending on how long the flight is, it can be worth it.
            "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
            Made it official: September 17, 2010
            Got engaged: January 15, 2012
            Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
            Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
            Got married: November 21, 2012
            Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
            Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

Thank you.

I do have a more specific question. Once the plane has landed and we're told to get off the plane, do I go directly to the baggage claim area? I am so clueless as to what to do. I can't say thank you enough to everyone who's responded here. I had another question beside the one I just asked, but I can't remember it now.

Comment

If you're tall, you may want to ask for the exit row to get some extra leg room. I'm not tall and I try to sit there anyway. However it being your first flight, maybe not. Not that any type of emergency would happen but it might make you nervous.

Once you get off the plane, you can ask the gate attendant how to get to baggage claim, or just follow the people off your flight; they are going the same way. There will also be signs overhead, you know, "Baggage Claim -->" or something like that.

When we love, it isn't because the person's perfect, it's because we learn to see an imperfect person perfectly.

True love does not worry about the distance between, for the heart and soul travels through one's words

When two people are meant for each other, no time is too long, no distance is too far, and no one can ever tear them apart.

1 universe, 9 planets, 7 continents, 194 countries, 50 states and 10 provinces...and I had the privilege to meet you.

Comment

I'm 5'8" and I'm uncomfortable for long car rides so I have no doubt I'll be uncomfortable on an airplane. It's worth it. I was sort of wishing I could pack all my stuff in a carry on, but that's not going to work. Not when it's a 5 to 7 day trip and the whole limit on liquids thing. I'm ready to go now!

Comment

Those are all great tips for the actual flight and arriving at the airport, but I think there are also tips to be had for going through security so you don't become "one of those people." First off, if you have a choice between security lines -- some airports have inexperienced traveler, general traveler, expert traveler -- obviously skip the expert traveler line your first few times through until you get the hang of it. Next, I recommend removing everything from you pockets and self -- belts, hair clips, watches, wallets, cell phones, etc. -- and put them in your carry on bag so you don't have to worry about forgetting something in one of the bins when you leave. Its also easier to get out of the way when you're done and re-situate some where other then at the end of the x-ray machine. Remove your shoes and any sort of jacket of sweatshirt. They'll want those to go through the x-ray. Make sure you keep your ID and boarding pass in your hand regardless of what anyone says. That's the only thing that gives you permission to pass through the checkpoint without a big hassle. Finally, put all of your toiletries in a quart sized bag. Be sure it is quart sized because if it is bigger you may get called out on it and not be allowed to bring it or its contents through security. Check out the TSA website here for more details: https://www.tsa.gov/311/

Hope you have a great trip!

Comment

Thank you, Thad.

Do you think purchasing my ticket a month in advance is a wise idea? I have to wait until at least March so I can't do it sooner than that, but I was questioning whether I should wait until 2 weeks before I want to leave. I want to fly out on April 13.

Comment

Purchase your ticket as soon as possible to get a good price, and to ensure you get the departure times and seat locations you want. 30 days out is a good rule of thumb. Two weeks is too soon.

Also - great tip: look online for fares on Tuesday or Wednesday, usually Tuesday afternoon is when discounted fares are released. Those fares are usually pulled by Thursday afternoon, so booking on a weekend is the most expensive.

April 13th is a great day to leave; it's a Wednesday. The cheapest days to fly are Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturdays. If you can leave first thing in the morning, during/after lunch or flights at the dinner hour, those are usually the least expensive as well.

When we love, it isn't because the person's perfect, it's because we learn to see an imperfect person perfectly.

True love does not worry about the distance between, for the heart and soul travels through one's words

When two people are meant for each other, no time is too long, no distance is too far, and no one can ever tear them apart.

1 universe, 9 planets, 7 continents, 194 countries, 50 states and 10 provinces...and I had the privilege to meet you.

Comment

I just read an article about what days to fly so I guess I picked the right time before I even knew it. And thanks for that tip. I'll have to do that.

Comment

I don't believe I'll get a non-stop flight. Do you just wait in the waiting area until the next flight is ready to take off?

I feel dumb for not knowing this stuff, but I guess you only learn if you ask.

Comment

My take on purchasing tickets...
                              I've purchased tickets months in advance before -- actually most times I fly I buy months in advance. A caveat to that statement is that I almost exclusively fly Southwest, so if I need to cancel or change plans, I don't pay fees or loose the value of my tickets. However, if you are flying on another airline, and your plans are 100% (or nearly 100%) certain, most definitely buy as far in advance as possible for best seat choices, cost, connections, non-stop possibilities, etc. In general, the closer to your travel date, the more expensive the tickets will be.

Comment

Working...
                              X