Pre-paid credit cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre-paid credit cards

One of our obstacles for him to come visit is cash. He wants to be able to spend money while he's here without going through exchanging currency back and forth. He has access to a credit card, but it needs to be paid off (in process of). But I was wondering if a pre-paid credit card might be a better idea? I don't know what the requirements are (he's in the USA) or if he'd be able to use it to pay for his flight. Anyone have any experience with this? I also don't own a CC, so I have no clue which ones have better interest or if pre-paid cards have interest... ^^;;

He could use them, but it'd still be subject to the conversion rate, which could make things very tricky. He should talk to his bank about his checking account. We have check cards that can be run as credit through systems (even in Canada, I know you guys have a different system for debit cards, but ours in the States can be run as credit), and many banks don't charge a fee for international purchases - it just draws straight from their account and converts the money.

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

I don't know if its the same with Canada/US, but for me, the exchange rate I get at the bank is way worse than in the exchange office. If he exchanges the amount he think he's going to need in the very beginning, it's really not much hassle.
      I always take cash when I'm visiting my boyfriend, cause it would really cost a lot more if I was using me credit card to pay for things over there.

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

He can use the prepaid debit card to pay for his plane ticket - it works similar to a credit card/bank debit card. Prepaid cards don't charge interest.

I agree he should just exchange at the exchange office than using his card. The exchange rate on the card will be horrible - that's the extra charge for the "convenience".

When we love, it isn't because the person's perfect, it's because we learn to see an imperfect person perfectly.

True love does not worry about the distance between, for the heart and soul travels through one's words

When two people are meant for each other, no time is too long, no distance is too far, and no one can ever tear them apart.

1 universe, 9 planets, 7 continents, 194 countries, 50 states and 10 provinces...and I had the privilege to meet you.

Comment

@Silviar
          The main thing is he doesn't want to exchange x amount into CDN, not spend it all, then have to exchange it back to USD. I'll definitely ask him if his bank has check cards and if there are any fees. That could solve it, thanks! ^^

@Dziubka
          I know nothing about exchanging money hehe. It's good to know that it could cost more at the bank because that's where we'd go if we went that route. ^^;; We definitely don't want to pay more fees/money if was can avoid it. Thanks! ^^ It probably would be easier to exchange cash because the things he'd be buying here I would be hesitant to use my debit card with or couldn't (public transport fare). :/

@BabyGund
          Thanks, I'll tell him that prepaid might be a better idea 'especially without the interest. Also he wouldn't have to worry about paying it off and juggling money around, so it'd be one less thing one his mind. Yeah, I can imagine the fees could get high. I'll talk to him more about all the options. Exchanging money might be the best (if the check card that Silviar said can't be done) even if it's a little inconvenient.

Comment

Working...
          X