Alcatraz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alcatraz

Anyone been to Alcatraz island? (For those who don't know, it's near San Francisco, CA.) My SO and I are planning to go on one of the tours and I was just wonder if anyone here has been on one. If you have, did you enjoy it?

I was there in the summer. It was really cool. We did the audio tour. It was a little busy when we went, would have been cooler to be the only ones there. We listened to a couple guided tours as we walked by, the guides seem to know what they are talking about and had some stories to tell that the audio ones didn't mention.

Comment

you should totally go!!! thats what every tourist from around the world does when they go to SF. Plus its near the wharf too, so you can get delicious seafood!! You might have to get your tickets in advance!!

Comment

I went there about 10 years ago (my god, 10 years already), and I had a wonderful time on the tour!

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

I loved Alcatraz!! I've been there twice and it is definitely cooler when there are fewer people so maybe try and go on a weekday (?)

Comment

I haven't actually been there, but I'd love to go! I say go for it! =]

"Do I love you? My God, if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches."

Like a drum, my heart never stops beating for you.

Comment

Originally posted by OliveOyl View Post
              you should totally go!!! thats what every tourist from around the world does when they go to SF. Plus its near the wharf too, so you can get delicious seafood!! You might have to get your tickets in advance!!
              Maybe we'll be able to go to the Wharf too. Except I'm not a big seafood eater, lol. Someone suggested on my SO's Facebook page that we should book as far in advance as possible.

Originally posted by mllebamako View Post
              I loved Alcatraz!! I've been there twice and it is definitely cooler when there are fewer people so maybe try and go on a weekday (?)
              I'll suggest to my SO that maybe we should go on a weekday. I'll be there from late Saturday afternoon to Tuesday morning (probably), so maybe we could go on Monday.

Comment

I'm from SF and know that a good time to go to Alcatraz is during the weekdays!

Comment

Originally posted by paulawriteslove View Post
                  I'm from SF and know that a good time to go to Alcatraz is during the weekdays!
                  I'll make sure to let him know!

Comment

I went there with my parents and we loved it! The audio guide is VERY interesting! But if you want to save $ you can go in the island and do not take it, you will have 8$ back.
                    Also, I recommend you to watch the movie Escape from Alcatraz (1979) before going there, because then you have the impression to be in the movie!

Comment

Alcatraz was awesome! We took the night tour with the audio tour and it was really fun. The only poopy thing was that the book store was closed. Even the boat ride was fun and I'm someone who gets very nervous on boats, lol.

That said, if anyone here is planning on visiting South San Francisco, don't stay at the Travelodge hotel on South Airport Blvd. It was kind of sucky. There was no mini-fridge, the shower leaked (although Joe did figure out how to fix it), the tv only got like 20 channels (and three of them didn't work at night for some reason), the internet didn't work, and most annoyingly of all, our key cards only worked intermittently. Also, Joe requested a king size bed and we were put in a room with two double beds. I can kind of let that slide though since maybe they didn't have any rooms with king beds available or something.

Comment

I have been to Alcatraz twice, Never knew that did a night tour, Would love to do that. Even in the day that place is kinda creepy, would be so cool to do a night tour. Mind you not sure about going over there on a boat at night, I am not a boat person.

Comment

I did the Alcatraz tour recently. It was a powerful experience. The audio tour blew me away! Completely immersive and well executed. Afterwards, I tagged on to a guided tour which helped me get a different angle more info.

Comment

ah amazing!
                            my first visit to my S/O (in June), we went to San Fransisco and Alcatraz, it was AMAZING! but VERY COLD and windy! So bring sweaters and check the weather before hand.
                            We did the cruise under the golden gate bride and alcatraz, it was gorgeous and amazing.

https://www.alcatraztrips.com/baycruise.asp

this is what we did

Comment

Working...
                            X