Airfare 101: How to find the best airline deals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airfare 101: How to find the best airline deals

Some of the best tips to find great fares in the US.

Airfare 101

When we love, it isn't because the person's perfect, it's because we learn to see an imperfect person perfectly.

True love does not worry about the distance between, for the heart and soul travels through one's words

When two people are meant for each other, no time is too long, no distance is too far, and no one can ever tear them apart.

1 universe, 9 planets, 7 continents, 194 countries, 50 states and 10 provinces...and I had the privilege to meet you.

well.... since I work for an airline.... um.... the easiest way to save money on tickets... is:

1. check for flights leaving Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays-- typically because corporate commuters are traveling on Mondays and Fridays... sometimes on Saturdays and Sundays...

2. the 5am flight is not always the first to be booked... cause most travelers don't want to be at the airport at 3am... which allows you to get the cheaper seats...

3. Bookingbuddy.com is a good one stop shopping resource to shop on most of the bulk ticket fares that are offered by kayak.com; travelocity.com, hotwire.com... etc...

4. shop for flights early.... 2-3 months in advance is always good... avoid going at high traffic times in the year such as Golden Week in April, Spring Break between March-April, or during any major entertainment events such as Film festivals, sporting events... think you get the idea...

5. Always find out which airlines are most common on your routes... usually if you enroll for their Frequent Flyer programs-- you'll get good discounts, or they usually notify you of special promotions that will allow your fare to be cheaper...

Well if you have any questions let me know... but I can't think of anything else at the moment.. but if I do.. I'll add them!

Comment

Wow! VERY helpful advice! Thank you! :P I was just lurking around the travel section, and saw this, and had to say, it's probably the best advice I've found so far when it comes to airfare. ^^

Comment

I would recommend flying with these guys! Not sure if they are the cheapest but it would definitely make for an exciting flight.

Comment

Originally posted by snow_girl View Post

I would recommend flying with these guys! Not sure if they are the cheapest but it would definitely make for an exciting flight.
          Totally! One of the biggest things that has helped me get through the last three years in an LDR. At one point early in our LDR after I had just been introduced to them, I wrote them a letter saying how much I enjoyed them. I got a response back -- but no just any canned response. I got a personal response from them. I love Southwest! I'll have to admit I'm a little sad that last weekend I flew my last flights with them in my LDR. Although totally happy because its almost over, but they have made what could have been a huge pain in our relationship to be fun. Go Southwest!
          Last edited by Thad; April 24, 2011, 02:26 PM. Reason: Spelling Error

Comment

I find Orbitz.com is a GREAT site for North American LDRs. With our visits so far, they've been very helpful and usually the cheapest compared to cheaptickets.com and hotwire.com

Comment

Originally posted by fiestydyste View Post
              well.... since I work for an airline.... um.... the easiest way to save money on tickets... is:

1. check for flights leaving Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays-- typically because corporate commuters are traveling on Mondays and Fridays... sometimes on Saturdays and Sundays...

2. the 5am flight is not always the first to be booked... cause most travelers don't want to be at the airport at 3am... which allows you to get the cheaper seats...

3. Bookingbuddy.com is a good one stop shopping resource to shop on most of the bulk ticket fares that are offered by kayak.com; travelocity.com, hotwire.com... etc...

4. shop for flights early.... 2-3 months in advance is always good... avoid going at high traffic times in the year such as Golden Week in April, Spring Break between March-April, or during any major entertainment events such as Film festivals, sporting events... think you get the idea...

5. Always find out which airlines are most common on your routes... usually if you enroll for their Frequent Flyer programs-- you'll get good discounts, or they usually notify you of special promotions that will allow your fare to be cheaper...

Well if you have any questions let me know... but I can't think of anything else at the moment.. but if I do.. I'll add them!
              this was VERY helpful. i'll be sure to keep this is mind when i buy my next tickets.

Comment

I usually check mobissimo.com and they search a lot of different sites and then sometimes I would go to individual airlines website to compare the price.
                sigpic

Comment

One thing that is going on at least for my company.... AWARD TICKETS.... we are now changing the policy for award travel -- this is domestic and international... Delta Air Lines will be changing their redeposit policy for Award Travel. Effective August 15, 2011, any booked Award tickets will require a 72 hour prior to departure cancellation and redeposit to have the mileage retained back to the SkyMiles account. Now for those of us who can use Frequent Flyer miles, this is an AWESOME thing for last minute trips on award tickets....

Also, another thought I had.... don't limit yourself to a specific city-- for example... if you are able to... look at multiple cities for your arrival and departure... if you can get a lift to an alternative city... or use the public transportation (ie.. Euro Rail or Train, bus, car rental, etc) For example, say you want to travel from Seattle and want to travel to Boston--- Check flights that arrive in Baltimore, MD; Washington DC (DCA, IAD) or Newark, NJ-- New York JFK or LaGuardia (LGA). These cities are pretty close to Boston and may have some cheaper fares... Good luck and I wish you all the best! Safe flights!

Comment

a recent question someone asked me was "why 2 weeks ago fares were cheaper, then all of a sudden they rocketed double what they were just a week ago?" My answer to this is.... seats are booked quickly and until you buy a ticket-- you're never guaranteed the "lowest" fare..... but recent weather events such as Hurricane Irene and Tropical Storm Lee has caused many people to be stranded on the east coast... so as people are trying to get back home, and due to all the flights being canceled due to the weather-- the flights are filling up to accomodate the stranded passenger... so please keep this in mind when also looking to book your flights -- weather has everything to do with your flights prices.... Safe Travels! and good luck!

Comment

Good tips!

Comment

always book at least 1 month in advance!
                        priceline.com and soutwest airlines are my fav.

Comment

Working...
                        X