Need Immigration Advice for SO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Immigration Advice for SO

My fiancee is coming to the US for a few months in September, she already has a B-2 visa and has traveled to the US prior to meeting me. We have not applied for a K-1 yet.

We both are aware that she should not tell the Immigration officer that she is coming here to be with her "fiance". She is merely going to state she is here for pleasure and staying with friends.

Since I have no experience with entry at the US border (as a non-citizen), does anyone have first hand knowledge or experience with their SO coming in under a B-2 and what type of questions they ask? Does she need to show/demonstrate sufficient funds for her visit? Should I go with her at the border entry?

We may also be married while she is here and then file for a change of status. Anyone have experience with doing that?

We are going to maintain dual residences (one in the US and one in Costa Rica) and travel back and forth every 2 - 3 months.

Well, she needs to prove she has bonds in her country and that she has the intention of returning. I'm from Brazil, and applying for the same type fo visa in December, I need to present my 3 last paychecks and present my Employment Record Card and a bank statement proving I can afford the trip and my latest income tax return.

It's basically that aside from passport, ID card (I think) and all the extras they ask, picture, receipt of payment and I think that's about all. If anyone has any extra tips, please let us know (since I'll be checking this back for them In the same situation)
    My blog: A revisit of my most successful LDR. Posting the story of us in chapters.

Comment

It sounds like you are applying for a VISA as she has already gone through all that to obtain a B-2.

Comment

I have gone to the States for two 3-month trips in the last year. They were on a visitors visa.

I had proof of money whilst I was there, proof of savings in the UK, proof of returning to work in the UK, my return ticket and the obvious like my passport. They basically just want to make sure that:

1) You have enough money to support yourself throughout the whole course of your visit
        2) You are going to return and not out stay your welcome or visa

Apologies - I dont remember the visa numbers. Is she arriving on a fiancee visa? If not I would STRONGLY advise not getting married and expecting to be able to stay and file change of status. The USA government do NOT like changing your visa staus whilst your there. Thats not to say its not possible just highly unlikely and I would recommend against it.

Also I would not recommend lieing to immigrations. So what if your her fiancee? If your not doing anything wrong, dont try to hide anything. They are trained to spot suspicious behaviour and will not be impressed about being lied to as they will think you have something bigger to hide.

I am actually marrying my USA FI next year in the States, but I will be there on a visitors visa and returning home as we plan to live in the UK. I will have proof of returning to the UK including my plane ticket, lease, my employment contract etc. Its no different to a "destination wedding" in my books, I'm not doing anything wrong, I will be open and honest with them and let them do their jobs to determine I'm not an illegal immigrant or terrorist or something.
        Tea and hugs make the world go round - don't ever discount the little things in life.

Smiling away to oneself brings an obscene amount of joy when only you know the reason why your smiling. Pick something secret to smile about and let it light up your face all day long!

And remember....Love really IS all around.

Comment

Thank you for the info.

I just read a good thread on visajourney.com, What to say at US Customs, a lot of good tips like yours.

The most important from all of it is do not lie about your visit and be able to demonstrate strong ties to her home country. She will have a return ticket, has a home, bank account and a new car.

I don't foresee an issue or problem.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Shaun View Post
            Thank you for the info.

I just read a good thread on visajourney.com, What to say at US Customs, a lot of good tips like yours.

The most important from all of it is do not lie about your visit and be able to demonstrate strong ties to her home country. She will have a return ticket, has a home, bank account and a new car.

I don't foresee an issue or problem.

Thanks
            Those things you listed sound like more than enough for her to enter the country without any problems. However, things get tricky if/when you get married in the US when NOT on the K1 visa, especially if you're trying to change statuses. I would advice getting married outside of the US (preferably her home country) then applying for spousal status. All the best! (:

Comment

Just make sure that she has a return flight scheduled. If the return flight is for more than say 3 weeks, she might need to show proof that she's able to financially support herself for her visit.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X