Process at the airport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Process at the airport

I am new here, but have posted on a few of the forums. It looks like my SO and I will actually be meeting in the next few weeks. I have never flown before, and I have reading online about what is allowed in your carry on bag. I am thinking along with the big ziploc bag for my shampoo, etc., I will take my makeup, a change of clothes, some books and a lightweight jacket. I think all of this will fit in my duffle bag.

He is planning to fly me down, so I a guessing he will send me the ticket, but I am wondering what actually happens when I get to the airport and what the process is (what will I need to do first and is everything taken care of in one place). I will probably have 1 checked bag.

Thank you in advance, I know these may be silly questions, but I would like to have some idea of what to expect. I am probably going to be so nervous when the day gets here-I am a little anxious about flying, but I will probably be more nervous about meeting him in person!

There will be a check in desk where you will show them your ticket and drop off any bag you are checking in. Don't carry and sharp objects or any liquids over 100ml with you on the plane. If you can avoid wearing anything heavy with metal (belt) its a pain to take off and on going through security. Once you pass through just look on the screens for what gate you need to be at and follow the signs. There will be people there that can help you.

Comment

Thank you! I will probably be asking for a lot of help that day. I think I will have a layover and will have to switch planes. If I have a checked bag, will I have to pick it up or will that be taken care of and I won't get it back until I reach my final stop? And can whoever is meeting me meet me at the baggage claim?

Comment

If you're flying nationally, your bag will be taken care of. The only time you have to recheck is usually if you fly in from a foreign country, land in the US, then have another US flight (Confused yet? ). But if you're all in the US, and your flights were all booked at once, don't worry about your bag. You'll pick it up at baggage claim on your final stop. Any deviation with that will be announced on the plane. Follow everybody to baggage claim, and look on the monitors at the carousels for your flight and which carousel to go to, if you aren't sure. Nobody can meet you at baggage claim, they can only meet you in the lobby, before the security checkpoints.

If you ask a flight attendant on the plane, they'll usually help you and explain what to do, especially once you tell them you've never flown before.

Don't waste your time packing liquids in your carry-on, if you can help it. I pack all my shampoo, conditioner, hair junk, etc. in my checked bag, there's no limit to that, just wrap them in plastic bags in case they break. Also, to expand on not wearing metal, like snow_girl mentioned...I've gotten flagged twice for a barrette Keep as little metal as possible on you and when going through security, you'll have to take everything out of your pockets and put them into a bin, so I keep nothing in my pockets. I put my phone and money in my purse, and put it all through together, so there's less to forget. I can re-adjust once I get through security.

I know it seems overwhelming, but once you go through it a few times, it's a piece of cake Good luck and I hope you have a fantastic visit!
        Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks! I thought about just putting all the liquids and stuff in my checked bag too, the stuff I use-most of it won't come in travel size anyway. I was thinking about putting it all in a big ziploc bag, but wrapping some of them separately-especially the things that might leak. What about aerosol hairspray? Several people online say it is allowed (in carry on or checked). I worry about it exploding. I wasn't sure how an airport was set up as far as security before or after the luggage claim area. Thanks for clearing that up. I appreciate everyone's suggestions. Right now, I am not getting too anxious about flying, but I am more worried about if he will be disappointed when he sees me in person for the first time!

I have had some joint replacements-hopefully that won't be an issue setting of metal detectors!

Comment

If you have had joint replacements, a good thing to do is to tell security before you go through the metal detectors
            It looks like everyone else has covered major points.
            And as for being worried about your SO being disappointed when he sees you for the first time, I had those same worries, but it was fine. In fact, I think my SO and I fell more in love.

Good luck!

First Met Online: October 2010
            First Confessed Feelings: December 21, 2011
            Became a "Couple": January 7, 2012
            First Meeting: March 9-14, 2012
            Second Meeting: July 16-31, 2012
            Closed the Distance: May 30, 2013
            Engaged!: June 1, 2013
            Picking out wedding dates now!

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone! I went today and bought some of those 3 ounce bottles at Walmart. I plan to put hair gel, shampoo and some other stuff in them. Can I take a regular size deoderant? It is less than 3 ounces, but I noticed they do have travel size ones. I am really trying to get by with just a carryon since it is my first trip and I am only staying Friday night and Saturday night and will be heading home Sunday afternoon.

Comment

I took a regular sized deodorant. No problem

First Met Online: October 2010
                First Confessed Feelings: December 21, 2011
                Became a "Couple": January 7, 2012
                First Meeting: March 9-14, 2012
                Second Meeting: July 16-31, 2012
                Closed the Distance: May 30, 2013
                Engaged!: June 1, 2013
                Picking out wedding dates now!

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbeam View Post
                  I took a regular sized deodorant. No problem
                  Thank, I know I have crazy quesstions, lol.

Comment

You might have a problem with the large zip lock bag. You're supposed to use the small one. Also make sure that the things inside is less than 100ml.
                    sigpic

Comment

Meeting at baggage depends on the airport. I fly between Buffalo and Boston all the time for school (I'll now be adding BWI to that list thanks to a LDR) and baggage claim is open to anyone in Boston, It's on the "other side" of secuirty. In Buffalo, there's a meeting area for arriving planes and then baggage is on your way out, again on the "other side" of security. All depends on the set up of the airport.

When I fly I tend to pick airlines like JetBlue or Southwest that you can have free checked luggage on. JetBlue gives you one bag, Southwest gives you two. It saves the hassle of dealing with the bottles and all that jazz. but seeing as you're only going for a weekend dealing with the bottles seems to be necessary. I also wear sweats whenever I fly. Not only is it more comfortable it's just easier. I also tend to wear my college stuff when I fly because I've noticed security is just easier to go through that way. Have your boarding pass and ID ready to go when you get to the airport, be ready to take off your shoes, if your bringing a laptop be sure the case is TSA approved. Or just ask a TSA officier to help you, I've seen them walk alot of first time fliers through the process.
                      ". . . We obviously have to come to accept it, but that doesn't stop it from gnawing at us day by day.
                      The best we can do is enjoy our time together, anticipate our reunions, and remain passionate and loyal through distance." ~Mike <3

~*~11.21.2010~*~

Comment

Well, it is almost here!! 4 more days until I meet my SO face to face!! I went yesterday and found the quart-sized TSA bag. I have decided to just check most of my liquids and put them in a toiletry bag (but wrapped in baggies to keep them from leaking all over the bag), and I will only carry my makeup and toothpaste, mouthwash, contact solution and a small tube of hand lotion in my carry on. Remind me, and I will post about my experience and hope it will help others that have never flown. My carry on is a duffle bag and measures about a total of 45" by adding all the dimensions, I've read that a carry on has to be 45" or less. I am sure I am going to be so nervous as the week goes on! Thank you everyone for all of your helpful advice, I appreciate it!

Comment

Working...
                        X