Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greyhound?

Hello all,
    I'm here to ask for a bit of info and for some advice. I am planning to possibly surprise my SO over spring break in March by going to visit him without him knowing. (his family involved). But, I have a fear of both planes and trains so... that leaves me with the bus since I don't have my license yet. I was thinking about taking the Greyhound bus from Virginia to Florida. I was wondering if you all have any experience with the bus and can tell me how the whole process works or what the bus trip is like? It will be a whole day trip by the way. Thanks in advance!

Hi! My SO travelled with GReyhound a lot while we were in the US (he did from Utah to Florida, then California, then Washington state and then Utah again! Just to say one trip). I took it only twice for short trips. I'm a girl and for my personal taste tehre are too many wierd people at the bus stops, expecially during the evening! I wouldn't have felt safe if I was alone. My boyfriend, though, liked the bus trip style. He told me interesting stories about people he met there.

Comment

The Greyhound is full of nasty people who are almost always sick. Buses are constantly delayed, too.

But it's a cheap way to get around. You get what you pay for!

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
        The Greyhound is full of nasty people who are almost always sick. Buses are constantly delayed, too.

But it's a cheap way to get around. You get what you pay for!

Lucybelle where did you travel from/to?

Can anyone tell me what the process is for getting on the bus/transferring busses? Is there anything I should know before traveling?

Comment

Me and my SO took a grey hound when he was here from L.A to Losbanos. He took care of everything. He first looked online at what times were available, we got there and he payed and we waited about a hour before the bus came. It was a long ride, 7 hours? But it did make stops. And they would tell you how long they were stopping for so you could go get something to eat or stretch your legs. I was happy I was going with my SO, so we were able to sit together. We took the greyhound more then once, one time we weren't sitting together, but its no biggie. When its packed you just sit where you can, it can get crowded, and i don't like using bus bathrooms... specially when u have to walk down the bus slowly through the isle lol but me personally I didn't mind taking the greyhound.
          I love you Nathan <3
          sigpic
          5/25/09 <3

Comment

My best friend tool the grayhound to Texas.

The stuff that you can't carry on with you, that the put in storage compartments on the bus...They lost it and she tried to file a report several times eventually they blocked her from complaining. The lost hundreds of dollars worth of clothes, wedding photos, and other irreplaceable stuff.

My advice, only take what you can carry in a back pack.

Now what happened to my friend is probably rare but still why chance it.

I to will have to take the grayhound to see my SO
            And I'm only taking what will fit in my back pack.
            " There is always hope.
            "

Comment

I took Greyhound from Boston, Massachusetts to Tampa, Florida once several years ago. The bus broke down around 1 AM in the middle of nowhere, and it took 3 or 4 hours for a new bus to come get us. That's my only experience with Greyhound, lol.

Comment

Being a girl traveling alone I would tell you to take an aerplane, I know you are scare but there are less accidents with aerplanes than with cars/busses. take a fly and bring with you a syrtec or some allergy medicin, that gonna make you feel sleepy so you will rest instead of being scare.

Comment

When I was in NC for university, I used to always take the greyhound to visit my family in NYC. The trip time was always somewhere around 19-23 hours (including a layover at 5am in DC which just happens to be in the worst part of the city). There were many delays, broken down busses, people arguing over seats, theft...the list goes on. While waiting to board a bus in DC, two people got into a fight over cutting the line and one pulled out a knife and wound up stabbing the other guy. Right there in the terminal, in front of all the passengers. If you are a single girl traveling, it helps to have some street smarts. I personally never engaged in conversation with anyone on these trips.

Comment

Well these stories make me feel much better. :-/ lol I can't fly because I literally have a panic attack and start hyperventilating before I ever even get to the airport. So, the Bus is kind of my only option until I can get my license. My transfers would be in Richmond, VA (which I know isn't all that great of an area) and Orlando, FL. But I don't think either of them would be really late at night (I can always plan around the transfers). Do they give you the option to stay on the bus during rest stops? or would it be safer to actually get off and walk around? I know that planes/trains are safer as far as accidents but my fears aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by srigg009 View Post
                      Well these stories make me feel much better. :-/ lol I can't fly because I literally have a panic attack and start hyperventilating before I ever even get to the airport. So, the Bus is kind of my only option until I can get my license. My transfers would be in Richmond, VA (which I know isn't all that great of an area) and Orlando, FL. But I don't think either of them would be really late at night (I can always plan around the transfers). Do they give you the option to stay on the bus during rest stops? or would it be safer to actually get off and walk around? I know that planes/trains are safer as far as accidents but my fears aren't going anywhere anytime soon.
                      I'm not sure how the Richmond terminal is. Yes, you have the option to stay on during rest stops, but you will probably be dying to walk around a bit/use the ladies room (I have never used the restroom on board- always very nasty). I would advise you to just keep your valuables with you- you can bring a small bag (think backpack) and try to keep that on your lap during the ride. They have an overhead compartment, but I never put anything valuable up there. Try to stay alert (ie. not fall asleep). When getting off at rest stops/transferring buses, just don't make conversation with anyone. I was approached several times by skeezy guys wanting to chat...one time a guy I was sitting next to pulled out a joint and asked me if I wanted to smoke with him at the next rest stop. I said "nah, I'm alright"...then had to sit next to him after the rest stop all the way to DC while he was high and stinkin like weed. Yes, this stuff happens.

Comment

I don't have personal experience with Greyhound, but my SO took it back up to school when he was moving back this year. He really didn't like it at all. He said it was very cramped. His trip was long and they hit traffic, so he ended up spending 10.5 hours on the bus.

"Do I love you? My God, if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches."

Like a drum, my heart never stops beating for you.

Comment

I went on a greyhound two years ago to see my SO, it was a looooong trip 3 days roughly. I was scared but the bus drivers are really helpful, they tell you everything you need to know about luggage and rest stops and transfers, don't be afraid to ask them if you're confused. Yes there are sometimes shady people but as a girl traveling by myself across country and into another one no less, I think I did more than alright. Nobody bothered me and even this older lady said she thought I was crazy for traveling alone, But I just kept to myself and all was good. Yes there were buses that broke down but usually most stops have a terminal you can go into and theres most times security guards.

Comment

Being a girl, i personally, wouldnt travel by bus doesnt seem that safe unless someone else is going with u.

I've never really traveled by bus buy my dad has. He went from Texas to Indiana and said it was HORRIBLE! He said the restroom made the whole bus smell, the bus driver was a bit rude and when he entered Indian he had to change into a van cuz supposedly the bus didnt pass by Warsaw, IN. In Warsaw they dropped him off at a random corner in the middle of the night without telling him where he was :\ BAD experience overall
                            Between Texas & Canada - Distance is just a test to see how far love can travel, and it does!

Comment

Originally posted by srigg009 View Post

Lucybelle where did you travel from/to?

Can anyone tell me what the process is for getting on the bus/transferring busses? Is there anything I should know before traveling?
                              Never actually been on a Greyhound, but I have heard tale! haha!

Also the traveling alone thing I don't think is a big deal. I've traveled alone via bus in more "dangerous" countries and areas than Virginia and never had a problem. BUT like books said it's good to have some street smarts/traveling experience. Seeing as though you don't have a license yet I'm wondering are you younger than 16? It might be a real good idea to wait or bring a friend or something. What's the problem with trains? Take a dramamine and sleep through the whole thing!

Comment

Working...
                              X