How long to wait before meeting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long to wait before meeting?

Hi everyone, a little bit of advice needed. Im in the UK and my SO is in Canada. We have known each other for just over 12 months and have been in a relationship for around 10 months now. I have met (via skype etc) the majority of his family and him mine, and everything is good However, I think now is the time we need to be planning to meet, im at the stage where I really want to see him, and he wants to see me too. How long did everyone else wait before meeting their SO's??

A year and a half. But that was circumstance and not desire. Go for it, you've waited long enough

Met online: 1/30/11
    Met in person: 5/30/12
    Second visit: 9/12/12
    Closed the distance: 1/26/13!!!

Comment

Told her I love her in February, which is when we became official and we met in May. We knew each other quite a while before that too.
      You should definetly go for it!

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."
      Married April 18th, 2015!!
      Distance Closed October 4th, 2015!!

Comment

We knew each other for a year and a half before getting into a relationship. Then it took us a whole year into the relationship before we met face to face. It really depends on the couple, if they're ready and financially able to meet though imo

Comment

I knew my SO casually online for about 6 months before we met. We were always in the same irc channel and would often talk about comics/tv shows and movies/video games. One day he just asked if I wanted to meet up to see the new Resident Evil movie. I took a chance and ran with it. We met and then met 2 more times before making anything official.

Met Online: 02/2012
          Started talking privately: 09/20/2012
          First Met in person: 09/22/2012
          Started Dating: 10/30/2012
          Closed the Distance 4/24/2013

Comment

From the time we got together online, to the time we met was about 1 year and 5 months. Many circumstances are going to be different though, we had both just finished high school, both still lived at home, I only got my first job about halfway between the two. We both had to tell our parents and essentially get their permission. And since we hadn't been talking for that long before hand (about 4 months) I suppose it was a matter of realising that hey, we really did want to meet up and give this thing a go.
            Together since: Feb 23rd 2005.
            First met: June 13th 2006

Comment

About 7 months, and it was only that long because of our work commitments.
              Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

To me it's all about being financially able. I won't be ready financially to make a trip until next summer, meanwhile he's good to make it this summer. We've both been wanting to four some time now though.
                "We are beings attracted to the essence of hope, and life is the all encompassing hope that everything can change; that everything can be better."

Comment

10 months, but only because I couldn't take any other time off than school holidays Go for it

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
                  First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
                  Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
                  Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
                  Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
                  Married: 1/24/2015
                  Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Had planned to meet at 6 months, but snowstorms prevented that... we met at the 9 months mark. We were not officially dating until we met in person because we didn't want to build too much expectations.
                    Met Online : July 2013
                    Met in person : April - May 2014 (3 wks)
                    2nd visit : June - August 2014 (2 months)
                    3rd visit : December - Jan (2wks)
                    Proposal : December 2014
                    Closed distance : February 2015
                    Married : April 5, 2015

Comment

We met in person about 13 months after we met online. We had only been 'official' for a little over 2 months, but the whole year we got to know each other and grew closer.

I think it depends on the couple and if they are ready to meet, have gotten to know each other enough, and skype enough to know they are talking to real people, and when the finances are right... and also might depend on work schedules and school schedules and when you can get a good deal on a flight.

I think you seem to have been together long enough, and skyped and even seen each others families on skype, I think it sounds like you are ready. Be safe and I hope you can plan a first meeting as soon as you are ready to!

Comment

We had known each other for about 7 months before we met in person, there was another 2½ months before I visited him and we decided to officially date.

If you have the time and the money (or can make time and money) go for it
                        We part only to meet again ~ J.Gay

Comment

I met my SO December 2013, we have been together for 6 months now and about a month after we started planning for me to visit this July. Had to push that back due to money issues so we aren't meeting until November now. So hopefully I should still be there for our 1 year mark
                          Flying out to meet him for the first time: 16th November 2014 - 14th December 2014
                          Flying out to meet him for the second time: 3rd June 2015 -18th July 2015
                          Flying out to meet him for the third time: 12th December 2016 - 12th January 2017
                          His first flight to me: April 2018 DENIED ENTRY
                          Flying out to meet him for the fourth time: 23rd June 2018 - 7th July 2018
                          Got Engaged: 12th December 2016
                          Married: June 29th 2018
                          Hoping to close the distance: 2019/2020

Comment

We met in person pretty soon after meeting online, since he came up during his spring break. We probably chatted a little shy of 2 months before tickets were bought (met online in late december, met in person in the middle of march). He could afford the trip at the time and his schedule allowed for it. If our plane tickets were as much as yours, we probably would've had a longer wait as well.

Married: June 9th, 2015

Comment

We met in March 2014 online and met in person on April 21 2014 thats when we became a couple <3

Comment

Working...
                              X