This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We met and now a proposal?

My s/o and I have been together 2 beautifully, long enduring years. We have suffered our losses and a few arguments even thought about breaking up once, but we are stubborn. We love each other and despite the nay-sayers we finally met on July 24th this year. I was so scared and nervous it was my 3rd time flying commercially. As soon as I got to immigration it hit me and I began to shake. The officer wasn't very nice, but he let me through and I ran to arrivals & saw him. We have skyped a lot, but seeing him in person was so much better. I ran into his arms and almost burst into tears when I heard him say "hello beautiful". Anyways we confirmed our feelings for each other through the visit and now he is visiting me in December. His parents said they liked me, but don't rush. He bought me a ring and asked me to marry him, but to wait for him to be able to ask my dad for his permission. My dad's a little old fashioned, but I am as well. I'm a little impatient and extremely stressed, but I'll survive. I just thought I'd share my story . If you have advice for any part of it at all, such as immigration (fiancé visa), wedding planning, etc feel free. I don't expect advise because I just wanted to share my love story.

Congats

Comment

Thank you x

Comment

Has he officially asked for your dad's permission to marry you yet?

Comment

No he plans on it when he gets here in December. My dad's a little scary to those that don't know him. To me, he is a lovable teddy bear, but my S/o is scared to death of meeting him and asking.

Comment

First time meeting your dad and asking to marry you? Yeah I can understand why he'd be scared.

Comment

Yea :/ poor thing may make a mess in his pants. I was so surprised when his mother screamed "my darling"and pulled me into a hug when we met after i had spent the last year making her think I was insane . I worry a lot so I may have asked a few times if my s/o was alright.

Comment

Very nice story Good luck to him! I'd be terrified too!

Comment

Thank you I told him I'd protect him

Comment

Originally posted by Redheart14 View Post
                    Has he officially asked for your dad's permission to marry you yet?
                    Fortunately, she's her own person and can marry him with or without her father's permission. If her dad says no, what then?

Not to be snippy at you in particular, I just hate that this tradition has to carry on with any level of seriousness. My husband "asked" my dad's permission, but it was pretty much him telling my dad he wanted to propose, my dad saying "good" and them going about their breakfast. They've known each other for years - I can't imagine having to go meet my love's dad for the first time and having to ask his permission to marry his daughter. As a father, I'd rather be told about it, not asked.
                    In all the world there is no heart for me like yours.
                    In all the world there is no love for you like mine.
                    -- Maya Angelou

Comment

Originally posted by rhabdoviridae View Post
                      Fortunately, she's her own person and can marry him with or without her father's permission. If her dad says no, what then?

Not to be snippy at you in particular, I just hate that this tradition has to carry on with any level of seriousness. My husband "asked" my dad's permission, but it was pretty much him telling my dad he wanted to propose, my dad saying "good" and them going about their breakfast. They've known each other for years - I can't imagine having to go meet my love's dad for the first time and having to ask his permission to marry his daughter. As a father, I'd rather be told about it, not asked.
                      Well it is up to me, but we want to respect my heritage. If he says no then I guess he won't walk me down the aisle; it will not stop me. Who I marry is up to me. I know that he wants to respect my father, but he won't let it stop him either.

Comment

congrats,that's great

Comment

Thank You

Comment

your very welcome

Comment

Congratulations!

Comment

Working...
                              X