plane tickets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

plane tickets.

so I've been talking to my SO since july of 2014, we really like each other and want to meet, we have planned to meet in january of 2015. but how soon should i buy plane tickets, we've been talking for 3 months, and we really want to meet except january is so far away so much could happen like not liking each other anymore or fighting, or realizing it could never work because we are so far away.. I want to buy the tickets asap but I'm just so nervous its too soon what if we don't know each other enough yet, I've made the ultimatum to decide by thanksgiving if we still like each other, (a month before she would fly here) we could get the plane tickets, we are also going to split the ticket, thats reasonable right? anyone have any thoughts on this? how do you know if its too soon

I guess you two have to decide how you both feel. You can always get a Flexi ticket and travel insurance. If you feel you don't know each other yet then put it off if you're having doubts. Yes, a lot could happen like fights and all the things you mentioned but it also may not. If you're not comfortable ask him to wait before meeting, if he's as into you as you are him he won't mind waiting.

Comment

Meeting for the first time is always scary, but if you want to do it despite that fear, that's how you know I think I personally wouldn't buy the plane tickets too early. About a month before the visit is plenty of time in my opinion, especially if you're only flying interstate and not international.
      Together since: Feb 23rd 2005.
      First met: June 13th 2006

Comment

It all comes down to supply and demand. If you are able to book with miles instead of cash, they are usually completely refunded or almost if you cancel. You are going at a good time after the Thanksgiving and Christmas and NYE crush of masses but keep an eye on your time none the less. If some large sporting event or convention hits the area where you are flying into, the demand will jump up and so will ticket prices. I would set up an alert for ticket prices on a few dates you are thinking of on Kayak and this might get you a nice warning when prices start to rise.

All this being said, I have found a few articles like this that say the magic number is 54 days in advance of domestic travel date.

https://www.cheapair.com/blog/travel...ta-has-to-say/
        Last edited by Hollandia; September 29, 2014, 07:03 AM.
        "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
        Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I'm flying out to visit my SO for the first time this November, I purchased my plane tickets last week.
          The nerves will always be there, what if something happens but I don't think you should dwell on that. Set a date where you want to have everything decided, so you know when the latest you want to buy your ticket is, just so you are comfortable with everything. If it get's to that deadline, put it off for a little longer and reorganize.
          Flying out to meet him for the first time: 16th November 2014 - 14th December 2014
          Flying out to meet him for the second time: 3rd June 2015 -18th July 2015
          Flying out to meet him for the third time: 12th December 2016 - 12th January 2017
          His first flight to me: April 2018 DENIED ENTRY
          Flying out to meet him for the fourth time: 23rd June 2018 - 7th July 2018
          Got Engaged: 12th December 2016
          Married: June 29th 2018
          Hoping to close the distance: 2019/2020

Comment

We've been speaking to our SO's for the same amount of time I really want to meet mine, except if he can figure out a date to fly here, I have to figure out how to pay for a hotel (I currently sleep at my mom's house, on a twin air mattress lol there's no room here at all). Good luck! Can't wait to see what happens

Comment

Working...
            X