Minors: Getting Through Customs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redheart14 View Post
    Gotta love the first persons reply...not! Some people are so rude.
    Don't worry I'm sure it'll be ok. You've got great replies from members here hopefully that puts you at ease!
    Yeah, I wish I had never asked that in FlyerTalk, it only made me scared, and I wasn't scared before!

I'm going ahead and ask my SO for a letter of invitation signed by her mother and recognized by the Notary, saying that they she will cover all my expenses while I'm in Canada. If I do that I don't see any reasons I would be denied entrance.

Comment

its natural to be scared, but just think of the big picture, once you go through customs you'll finally be with your partner. its okay to be worried about getting into the country but I'm sure it'll be fine. I'm nervous about my boyfriend getting into the country as well, but only because he happens to have had some hick-ups in the past with the law, so i have a right to be worried. I'm sure you'll be okay, and if something bad does happen you can always try again. So don't stress too much

Comment

Originally posted by Lexa_Jared View Post
        its natural to be scared, but just think of the big picture, once you go through customs you'll finally be with your partner. its okay to be worried about getting into the country but I'm sure it'll be fine. I'm nervous about my boyfriend getting into the country as well, but only because he happens to have had some hick-ups in the past with the law, so i have a right to be worried. I'm sure you'll be okay, and if something bad does happen you can always try again. So don't stress too much
        Thank you that made me more confident about the whole process! Can't wait to go through the customs and finally meet her for the first time!

Comment

Wow, that other forum really thinks up the worse scenario, huh?

I traveled alone at 16 from my home country Mauritius to the UK, to meet my then-boyfriend. I had pretty much all the documents you listed. I told them that I was going to see some friends, they asked me how I was going to get from the airport to where my friends lived, I told them I had a train reservation, and they were satisfied.
          So, here you are
          too foreign for home
          too foreign for here.
          Never enough for both.

Ijeoma Umebinyuo, Diaspora Blues

Comment

Originally posted by Ejoriah View Post
            Wow, that other forum really thinks up the worse scenario, huh?

I traveled alone at 16 from my home country Mauritius to the UK, to meet my then-boyfriend. I had pretty much all the documents you listed. I told them that I was going to see some friends, they asked me how I was going to get from the airport to where my friends lived, I told them I had a train reservation, and they were satisfied.
            That's a great motivation for me!
            I've just sent the necessary information to my SO so her mother can write me an invitation letter to Canada. I guess I'll only be 100% sure that I'll go through customs if I have it... there's no way they can deny me access if I have a letter of invitation (well, in the logical way). I'll just show them my legal guardian permission to fly alone there and then the invitation letter... pretty much nothing they can whine about to deny me entrance (I HOPE SO!).

Comment

Even with an invitation letter they can deny you access to Canada. I read the flyer talk forum and some of the people there are correct. I don't mean to be harsh either, but you should be honest with the Immigration Officer as why you are going to be there (you'll be meeting your girlfriend for the first time). The biggest red flag to them will be the fact that you don't have a credit card in case something does go wrong. Also proof of funds the whole time you are there is a big thing as well (for me it was a notarized bank statement showing the funds in my bank account.). Also know that they can deny you entry for any reason even with a visa (my good friend from Portugal was denied entry into Canada even though he was a student because they didn't believe his student claim and his study visa, so he had to go back to Portugal and fix all of his study visa stuff before he was allowed back in).

Good luck and don't stress!

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

Originally posted by Riyko View Post
                Even with an invitation letter they can deny you access to Canada. I read the flyer talk forum and some of the people there are correct. I don't mean to be harsh either, but you should be honest with the Immigration Officer as why you are going to be there (you'll be meeting your girlfriend for the first time). The biggest red flag to them will be the fact that you don't have a credit card in case something does go wrong. Also proof of funds the whole time you are there is a big thing as well (for me it was a notarized bank statement showing the funds in my bank account.). Also know that they can deny you entry for any reason even with a visa (my good friend from Portugal was denied entry into Canada even though he was a student because they didn't believe his student claim and his study visa, so he had to go back to Portugal and fix all of his study visa stuff before he was allowed back in).

Good luck and don't stress!
                Thanks for the answer. I still think that there's no need for so much detail. Even though she's my girlfriend I'm there to stay with friends, more specifically her family, to spend Christmas and New Year together. "I'm staying with friends" would not be a lie as I'm staying with a family who are friends of my family (our parents talk regularly).

But I agree that an invitation letter is not something that would make impossible my entry being denied into Canada!

My father is going to get me an American Express credit card and I'll also take money with me.

What should the bank statement say?
                Last edited by Gonçalo; October 12, 2014, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonçalo View Post
                  Thanks for the answer. I still think that there's no need for so much detail. Even though she's my girlfriend I'm there to stay with friends, more specifically her family, to spend Christmas and New Year together. "I'm staying with friends" would not be a lie as I'm staying with a family who are friends of my family (our parents talk regularly).
                  But how did you meet? How did your parents meet? Why would you ever spend so much money to go visit a random 'online friend' at your age? You'll need a more solid story if you want to leave out the details. They will ask for the details anyway. I don't think it's weird to spend Christmas and NY there with friends, but if you met them online it may sound even weirder than if you say you met your girlfriend online. I don't know. Of course 'staying with friends' is not a lie but what about the possible follow-up questions? Do you have an answer to all of them not involving your girlfriend?

Comment

Originally posted by MissButterfly View Post
                    But how did you meet? How did your parents meet? Why would you ever spend so much money to go visit a random 'online friend' at your age? You'll need a more solid story if you want to leave out the details. They will ask for the details anyway. I don't think it's weird to spend Christmas and NY there with friends, but if you met them online it may sound even weirder than if you say you met your girlfriend online. I don't know. Of course 'staying with friends' is not a lie but what about the possible follow-up questions? Do you have an answer to all of them not involving your girlfriend?
                    They are not Canadian, they are French and have a permanent resident visa in Canada. Since part of my family is French and I spend a lot of time in France myself I will just say that I met them in France. I'll just treat my girlfriend as a friend while I'm still in the customs, it won't be a lie, she's my friend. The only question that I will have to lie if asked is "have you met them before?"...

Comment

Up until your last post, I thought you would be pretty okay with customs, but good grief, don't lie. It's unnecessary. If you get caught in your lie, you're screwed. What happens when they call your girlfriend's mother to verify your story? With your age, I don't think there is any reason to say friend rather than girlfriend. They aren't going to be quite as worried that you may run off and get married at your age as they would mine. I've never had a bad experience with Canadian agents, and that includes the last time I entered Canada when I was taken for further questioning. Just make sure you have all evidence you need to show you are financially taken care of while visiting and that you're going home.

I must admit that with all the effort you are putting into make sure you can get through customs, I'm surprised you're okay with taking the risk of being caught in a lie. That's pretty much a guarantee that you'll be turned away.

Comment

Originally posted by dizzyupthemeg View Post
                        Up until your last post, I thought you would be pretty okay with customs, but good grief, don't lie. It's unnecessary. If you get caught in your lie, you're screwed. What happens when they call your girlfriend's mother to verify your story? With your age, I don't think there is any reason to say friend rather than girlfriend. They aren't going to be quite as worried that you may run off and get married at your age as they would mine. I've never had a bad experience with Canadian agents, and that includes the last time I entered Canada when I was taken for further questioning. Just make sure you have all evidence you need to show you are financially taken care of while visiting and that you're going home.

I must admit that with all the effort you are putting into make sure you can get through customs, I'm surprised you're okay with taking the risk of being caught in a lie. That's pretty much a guarantee that you'll be turned away.
                        Saying friend rather than girlfriend it's not what worries me. What worries me is the fact that they might ask me whether I've met them (my SO and her family) before or not. I'm afraid that if I tell them that I haven't met them before I'll be denied entrance. But if I lie and say that I've met them before and they somehow find out that I'm lying I'll be denied entrance as well. So it's a 50/50 situation. Some people tell me to lie, others tell me not to. This has been all over my head, I'm not worried about having to pass through 4 airports before being with her, for the first time in my life, but to go through customs in Toronto.

Comment

I just landed in Toronto, Canada (3 weeks ago) and i was pooping myself about customs because people had been telling me all these horror stories about being denied at the border. I wouldnt worry too much.

All you need to say is 'I'm here to visit my girlfriend for 2 weeks' (dont say friend because if they did dig deeper and found out she's your girlfriend it'll open up more problems for you), get a letter of invitation and proof of where your staying, have their address and phone numbers ready too, have some cash/funds avalible to you and proof of them, they'll ask to see your return flight too and get the letter from your mum like you already have, a letter of the school you'll be attending and you should be fine. They'll probably ask what your plans are while your in Canada so just say spending time with your gf and doing toriust things (sight seeing etc) or whatever you will be doing.

You wont be denied enterance if you havent met them before - thats no grounds for refusal. They will only refuse you if they believe you will overstay your visa, work illeaglly or if your a danger to the community (and you dont sound like either of those things)

I wouldnt over worry, i worried like you did and the customs officer wasnt that bad at all - in fact she was lovely. I just said i was staying with inlaws, they were paying for my expenses (had a letter from my husbands dad as proof), had a return flight booked, they asked if i was going to overstay my visa, i said no because i would be applying for a spousal visa when i return to the UK - she then said i didnt need to leave as i could do it from here and extend my visitors visa. She then wished me a good trip and let me past. No issues at all

As long as you tell the truth and are confident in your answers you will be fine. If you want any more advice feel free to message me!

ETA: If your girlfriends mum is covering your expenses then i doubt they'd ask you for proof of funds, when i landed i had no proof of funds but the letter from my father in law was enough. But it's still wise to have money with you just incase.
                          Last edited by Xanahtas; October 12, 2014, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonçalo View Post

But I agree that an invitation letter is not something that would make impossible my entry being denied into Canada!

My father is going to get me an American Express credit card and I'll also take money with me.

What should the bank statement say?
                            My bank statement showed how much money I had in the account to show that I could support myself while studying there and wouldn't need to work (so i made sure to have $120,000 to last 4 years which was more then enough). Since you're visiting i'd suggest having anywhere from $500-$3200 in the account showing on the bank statement (better to be safe than sorry).

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

Originally posted by Xanahtas View Post
                              I just landed in Toronto, Canada (3 weeks ago) and i was pooping myself about customs because people had been telling me all these horror stories about being denied at the border. I wouldnt worry too much.

All you need to say is 'I'm here to visit my girlfriend for 2 weeks' (dont say friend because if they did dig deeper and found out she's your girlfriend it'll open up more problems for you), get a letter of invitation and proof of where your staying, have their address and phone numbers ready too, have some cash/funds avalible to you and proof of them, they'll ask to see your return flight too and get the letter from your mum like you already have, a letter of the school you'll be attending and you should be fine. They'll probably ask what your plans are while your in Canada so just say spending time with your gf and doing toriust things (sight seeing etc) or whatever you will be doing.

You wont be denied enterance if you havent met them before - thats no grounds for refusal. They will only refuse you if they believe you will overstay your visa, work illeaglly or if your a danger to the community (and you dont sound like either of those things)

I wouldnt over worry, i worried like you did and the customs officer wasnt that bad at all - in fact she was lovely. I just said i was staying with inlaws, they were paying for my expenses (had a letter from my husbands dad as proof), had a return flight booked, they asked if i was going to overstay my visa, i said no because i would be applying for a spousal visa when i return to the UK - she then said i didnt need to leave as i could do it from here and extend my visitors visa. She then wished me a good trip and let me past. No issues at all

As long as you tell the truth and are confident in your answers you will be fine. If you want any more advice feel free to message me!

ETA: If your girlfriends mum is covering your expenses then i doubt they'd ask you for proof of funds, when i landed i had no proof of funds but the letter from my father in law was enough. But it's still wise to have money with you just incase.
                              This was a really clarifying response. You convinced me not to lie to the customs officer, which is the right thing to do, there are more chances of getting myself in trouble and even banned from Canada if he finds out I'm lying than getting myself turned back for any other reason. I have the invitation letter, a notarized letter from my legal guardian, my birth certificate and my return ticket. Plus I'll have a letter from my school telling that I'm a student there and I intend to finish my studies there as well.

Regarding the expenses they will be covered by her parents which mean I won't need a bank statement then. My father is getting me a credit card in case of an emergency (I'm going to Poland before Canada, I might need it for some reason).

I'll PM you if anything else pops up!
                              Thanks!

Originally posted by Riyko View Post
                              My bank statement showed how much money I had in the account to show that I could support myself while studying there and wouldn't need to work (so i made sure to have $120,000 to last 4 years which was more then enough). Since you're visiting i'd suggest having anywhere from $500-$3200 in the account showing on the bank statement (better to be safe than sorry).
                              500$-3200$ is a lot :o but well, since I have the invitation letter saying they will cover my expenses for the two weeks I guess I won't need that (well, I'll still have money with me, but just without the bank statement and not that amount of money either).

Comment

Working...
                              X