Sleepless nights| snorring...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sleepless nights| snorring...

This might be one of the advanteges of a Long Distance Relationshsips... Sleeping alone can be sad at times, but way more restfull.
    I Love my boyfriend, but the times when we are together (the one or the other month) the nights can be quite rough for me as he snorrs quite loud. We talked about it and he feels really sorry for it, but I don't really know what to do about it.
    He tried to sleep on his side and to wait until i fall asleep, but as i ususally woke up at some point in the night as I am not used not to sleep alone.
    So far I tried Ohropax (earplugs), but i could hear it through and they didn't quite fit. And i else tried to listen to music and sleep with that, what works perfectly to not hear the snorring and to get to sleep trough, but I don't fel well rested after that.
    (Btw. it is a single-room house we live in when he is here)

Does anyone have the same? What do you do about it? Any adivce?

Has he tried any strips for his nose? Elevating his head when he sleeps? If he's snoring, he's probably got a minor health issue that could be resolved by one of those things, or simply getting a mouth guard at night to project his lower jaw forward to open up his airway. My SO snores like crazy too. To be honest, I found that if I move around, he'll move around, and his position changes enough to where he's not snoring. I'm not sure what other suggestions I have for you, other than those.

Comment

My SO's snore can sound like an angry, snarling monster and it used to scare me awake in the night.. If your SO found out why he might be snoring, like whatruckus mentioned, treating that would probably make the most difference. My SO used to be heavier, but after losing some weight, he definitely snores less often and less loudly.

Finding earplugs that actually fit make a huge difference, so I wouldn't give up on them. I used them when I was studying and probably tried 5-6 different ones before I found a good fit. I also second trying those nose strips out.

Married: June 9th, 2015

Comment

You guys know why men snore when they lie on their backs?
        It's because their balls fall over their butthole, which causes a vapor lock!
        - it cant rain all the time-

Comment

Lol at ^^ doesn't explain why my ex used to snore chronically - She snores almost as loud as my dad in fact (tho his snoring is caused by a twice broken nose!)

Earplugs worked for me, but I get sore ears when I use them (very narrow ear canal so most earplugs are 'too big'), but we were able to mitigate it by getting her pillows right and keeping her airways clear, keeping the head at the right angle both tilted front to back and side to side - the nose strips did nothing for us, as she snored still if you held her nose!

What actually eventually worked for us, was the use of an elbow/hand or shaking the bed slightly and noise from me was enough to stop her snoring but not wake her fully - she never remembered it unless she was snoring so badly I ened up actually waking at her by swearing or having elbowed her too many times too frequently. It usually gave me a long enough break to drop off again before she started up in full volume again either way...

The throat spray kinda worked when she used it (she has a lazy soft palette) but was too expensive for us to deep it a viable solution.

Comment

Earplugs are wonderful, find some that fit like the spongy ones that fit to the form of your ear

Comment

Originally posted by p_b82 View Post
              Lol at ^^ doesn't explain why my ex used to snore chronically - She snores almost as loud as my dad in fact (tho his snoring is caused by a twice broken nose!)

Earplugs worked for me, but I get sore ears when I use them (very narrow ear canal so most earplugs are 'too big'), but we were able to mitigate it by getting her pillows right and keeping her airways clear, keeping the head at the right angle both tilted front to back and side to side - the nose strips did nothing for us, as she snored still if you held her nose!

What actually eventually worked for us, was the use of an elbow/hand or shaking the bed slightly and noise from me was enough to stop her snoring but not wake her fully - she never remembered it unless she was snoring so badly I ened up actually waking at her by swearing or having elbowed her too many times too frequently. It usually gave me a long enough break to drop off again before she started up in full volume again either way...

The throat spray kinda worked when she used it (she has a lazy soft palette) but was too expensive for us to deep it a viable solution.
              Could be a medical issue with her throat. I've been out of practice in the dental field for a year and a half, and we used to deal with people that snored. It could also be causing sleep apnea (more than likely). Anyone who snores should actually get it checked out, because like I said before, it's a medical issue. Could be weight issues, throat issues, jaw issues, nasal issues...and almost always it causes sleep apnea and a really bad night's sleep (even if they "slept all night", they more than likely didn't have enough "good" sleep).

Also, I agree with snow_girl, find ones that are spongy/foamy so you can squish them when you put them in and then they kind of "puff" back up and conform to your ear.

Comment

I am so glad I am not the only one going through this LOL. My SO is overweight and he didn't start having real snoring issues until then. I think I am going to invest in some of those foam ear plugs. Right now he tries to stay up until I go to sleep but if I wake up in the middle of the night, I have to either try to deal with the snoring or head to another room and put on the tv so I don't hear it.
                To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

If he is overweight that could be a major factor in the snoring. He might require one of those breathing apparatuses to help him sleep at night. It would be noisy but chances are the snoring is breathing trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by snow_girl View Post
                    If he is overweight that could be a major factor in the snoring. He might require one of those breathing apparatuses to help him sleep at night. It would be noisy but chances are the snoring is breathing trouble.
                    I agree with this^^^^

My So snores when he's on his back, so he sleeps on his side with me spooning him or vice versa. I am thankful it is not an issue that interferes with my sleep, because I love to sleep close to my SO and cuddle all night.

Good luck finding a solution guys.
                    Met Online : July 2013
                    Met in person : April - May 2014 (3 wks)
                    2nd visit : June - August 2014 (2 months)
                    3rd visit : December - Jan (2wks)
                    Proposal : December 2014
                    Closed distance : February 2015
                    Married : April 5, 2015

Comment

Originally posted by whatruckus View Post
                      Could be a medical issue with her throat. I've been out of practice in the dental field for a year and a half, and we used to deal with people that snored. It could also be causing sleep apnea (more than likely). Anyone who snores should actually get it checked out, because like I said before, it's a medical issue. Could be weight issues, throat issues, jaw issues, nasal issues...and almost always it causes sleep apnea and a really bad night's sleep (even if they "slept all night", they more than likely didn't have enough "good" sleep).
                      You are right - it most likely was/is medical - she was overweight too..... for I know still is....

But as she is my ex I don't care

Current GF does snore from time to time the few times we have been able to share a bed, but nothing like as loud, and 5.5 years of practice means I can mostly ignore it now, and drift off myself after sticking a pillow on my head lol

Comment

Working...
                      X