I'm worried about her visa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm worried about her visa

So basically she planning a trip to visit me in a few months. She's mainly been working on finding the money for the trip and we've just kind of assumed that getting a tourist visa to the US wouldn't be too much trouble. Recently however, I started looking around to see how selective it really was for Chinese nationals trying to come to the US and it seems that someone in her position would have a really hard time getting her visa application accepted. Basically, she's young, unmarried, has no property, and no formal job. At least according to what I read, in the eyes of the immigration office she is a high risk. The only thing I can see that might make them reconsider is that she has yet to graduate from her master's program and if she passes the next interview she will have to return to take up her job as a Chinese teacher in Nepal under the Chinese government.
    So down to the point. How likely is it that they will deny her visa? And is there anything I should do or that she should do to help improve her chances? I know that I can try to write an invitation letter and that she should provide any documents that might serve as proof that she must return, but besides that I don't know what else you can do. Because of school and my own money troubles, if her visa doesn't go through I won't have the chance to visit her myself for another year. It'll be a real bummer if her work pays off and she gets the teaching position but then gets denied a visa. We've both been fairly excited about the possibility of finally meeting.
    First contact: March, 2014
    Official LDR: June, 2014
    Married since: August, 2017
    “有一种幸福就是每天睁开眼睛,就知道你在。” -Xinxin

I'm from a 'high risk' country, but now currently working in the US. I have been successful in obtaining US, UK visitor visas and in the last year, Australia Visitor visa. All of which are really hard to obtain by people from high risk countries.

Based on my experience, it is usually best that you do not reveal that you are in a relationship, as in their eyes that's an incentive to stay here (US). Does she have any friends or family here? Does she 'know' any of your female family members (sisters maybe?)? Would they be willing to have their names and telephone number put down as friends she will visit?

Complete honesty is not always the best way to deal with immigration - you have to present your case in such a way that it meets their requirements and even then there's no guarantee.

It is a plus that she is bonded to the Chinese government. She should get as much documentation that proves her current student status and that she has to return to China.

Has she held visas for any other 1st world countries? If so provide proof that she adhered to the conditions.

Finally, she could look into a travel agency that offers group tours to the USA. If she finds a tour that is close to the date she wishes to visit you, she's more likely to be successful with a visa application (travel agents would normally organize visa application). The above info re having family here would not be necessary.
    Last edited by Petals; December 9, 2014, 05:39 PM.
    Met Online : July 2013
    Met in person : April - May 2014 (3 wks)
    2nd visit : June - August 2014 (2 months)
    3rd visit : December - Jan (2wks)
    Proposal : December 2014
    Closed distance : February 2015
    Married : April 5, 2015

Comment

I am unsure what advice I can give as I don't know how it works in China, maybe you guys could meet halfway? or maybe she could apply to work in USA as an au pair which she could work looking after kids, if she likes that kind of thing. My other suggestion is if you guys ever want to close the distance in the future, the fiance visa is probably the best way she can move there, I don't know what visas you can do to move to China.

Comment

I think it is best to always be completely honest, immigration officers are trained to spot when people do fraud and lie on documents, it is too risky as if she got caught she would be banned from the USA for at least 5 years. Also it would stay on her record forever, and they would know every time she travelled to America, also it would mean getting denied visas in the future.
        I do agree though that looking into travel agencies who do tours is a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by vicks5721 View Post
          I think it is best to always be completely honest, immigration officers are trained to spot when people do fraud and lie on documents, it is too risky as if she got caught she would be banned from the USA for at least 5 years. Also it would stay on her record forever, and they would know every time she travelled to America, also it would mean getting denied visas in the future.
          I do agree though that looking into travel agencies who do tours is a good idea.

I disagree about complete honesty. Most citizens of 1st world countries are usually oblivious of how hard it is obtain a visa just to visit a country and if you don't mold your situation to fit the rules, you will not be successful. The bar is set so high you are likely to fail. As long as you are not manufacturing documents, it is often necessary to spin the truth so to speak.

The only time it pays to reveal your relationship status is when you are in a documented defacto relationship or married. Otherwise it is naive to do so.

If his gf has spoken to his female family members then it isn't really a lie that she 'knows' them...the spin there would be that she is visiting them. It is likely that she will spend time with them during the visit anyways.
          Last edited by Petals; December 9, 2014, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Hey LostViolinist,

I'm also involved with a woman who is from China, but in my circumstance she is living in Michigan. She came to the US first with a student visa and then after that she had a 6 year work visa that I think expires in a year. So I have been only recently looking at Visa info myself. I don't want my SO to have to leave so I'm trying to weigh options as we progress in our relationship. I know its tough.

So there are different visas out there not just a tourist one. Does she want to go to school here? Would she be able to do that?

There are some good forums out there just on this subject alone. I would try to find a few of them that are active. They have some good info or someone may have asked a similar question. That is my recommendation. This forum is great on LDR stuff, but VISA info is pretty particular. But some of the info above is helpful. I hope it works out for you both to see each other soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Petals View Post
              I disagree about complete honesty. Most citizens of 1st world countries are usually oblivious of how hard it is obtain a visa just to visit a country and if you don't mold your situation to fit the rules, you will not be successful. The bar is set so high you are likely to fail. As long as you are not manufacturing documents, it is often necessary to spin the truth so to speak.
              While it is true that custums don't need to know everything, if they suspect you of lying they can refuse your visa and possably future visas too.
              I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
              - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Originally posted by differentcountries View Post
                While it is true that custums don't need to know everything, if they suspect you of lying they can refuse your visa and possably future visas too.
                When you are totally honest you are likely not to get the visa anyways so it's luck of the draw. I can only speak from my experience and those who I know. When I was totally honest on my first visa application for the USA, my application was rejected . Only 2 years later I reapplied but I stretched the truth - 10 yr visitor visa was granted, UK visa granted, Australia visa granted. The average person from my country is unlikely to obtain visas unless they are from upper middle class family or highly educated (even then you have to spin the truth) for complete honesty to work. If they have immediate family in the US and are in stable high paying job, married and have real estate, they will stand a better chance with a bit of a spin on the truth.

My SO was shocked to know that to visit him I had to supply over 30 documents, while US citizens simply submit an online application and visa is granted in 24hrs or less with little or no supporting evidence. It is not a level playing field by any means as I am more stable than some US applicants but my case gets scrutinized more and I have to wait 4 weeks for approval due to my nationality. If it were a level playing field I'd be 100% honest. Since it's not, I will use my knowledge of their systems to travel the world. They have taught me well. I'm just grateful that I am not from the Middle East or Africa because then the bar is even higher.

Not picking on US citizens neither...just stating example.
                Last edited by Petals; December 9, 2014, 06:50 PM.

Comment

This site may or may not help: https://www.justanswer.com/immigration-law/

Comment

Edit: I missed the part where you said you wouldn't be able to visit her for another year, which was what this reply was originally suggesting... :P

Comment

Working...
                    X