Saving on flights.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saving on flights.

Firstly Hello, I'm new here and thought it'd be interesting to meet other long distance couples.
    After being together for over a year now we started to think about meeting as soon as possible, money is the main issue (obviously) I'll be starting to have a regular income soon but I'm not entirely sure on how much that would be. We also decided it'd be best for her to fly to the UK rather than me fly to Kentucky, and I'm hoping to buy the tickets for her.
    So any tips on saving money on flights would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Book early.

Shop around.

It's expensive in summer. I looked at going to USA in July and it's going ito cost about £1000.

Comment

yeah, definitely book as soon as you can, shop around or use comparison sites. I've just come back from a UK to US visit and my tickets cost be about £700 but my next trip is planned for early summer and already it looks like I'm going to be spending well over £1000.

Sometimes the amount of layovers affect the price of a ticket as does the airports you fly into and out of.

Just do the research beforehand, some dates are cheaper to fly on than others. Oh and look at events happening around the places the airports are located because if there is an event that's going to encourage people to fly, airlines tend to put the prices up.

Good luck!
      Flying out to meet him for the first time: 16th November 2014 - 14th December 2014
      Flying out to meet him for the second time: 3rd June 2015 -18th July 2015
      Flying out to meet him for the third time: 12th December 2016 - 12th January 2017
      His first flight to me: April 2018 DENIED ENTRY
      Flying out to meet him for the fourth time: 23rd June 2018 - 7th July 2018
      Got Engaged: 12th December 2016
      Married: June 29th 2018
      Hoping to close the distance: 2019/2020

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll compare the prices of different dates and see what suits us best

Comment

If you look at online travel agencies, make absolutely sure you do it while in your browser's incognito mode and/or deleting your cookies beforehand. For some reason, your location and cookies affect the prices listed. Also, make sure that you look at reviews for the agency, whether it's online or not - A cheap deal can very quickly turn sour if it turns out that your agency is a fraud or has horrendous service. Shop around and if a price looks too good to be true, it likely is! If you want to be absolutely safe, booking straight from the airline is also a good option. Flying on different days is also going to hugely affect the prices. If your fly dates fall on Tuesdays, Wednesdays or Thursdays, it's very likely going to be cheaper.

As for saving money, look how much your monthly expenses are, add a bit on top of that to be flexible, and put the rest aside every month. It's best to do it with your bank, so that portion of your paycheck directly goes into a savings accoun every month. Limits the temptation of spending the money!

All the best, and stay persistent! Checking for good deals on flights regularly and saving up reliably takes time, but it's really worth it!

~
          It'll take a lot more than words and guns
          A whole lot more than riches and muscle
          The hands of the many must join as one
          And together we'll cross the river

Comment

Working...
          X