Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worried about possible U.S Customs & Immigration interrogation

Hey all I could really use your help

As most of you know in just over 3 weeks now I'm heading off to Alabama with a 3 hour layover in Dallas and due to the fact I have Aspergers Syndrome I am getting a little worried about going through customs from all the horror stories I've heard here and possibly getting interrogated just for going over to see my SO cause I'm worried they could hold me for so long that I miss my connection even though I'm only going for 8 days

If you guys could give me any help and advice I would be so thankful
    As one door closes another always opens and now I look to the future with a new outlook and perspective on life, it's an open book and I'm ready for the next chapter

A 3 hour layover is a pretty good chunk of time. As long as you have your return ticket printed, plus something to demonstrate your ties to the UK (mentioning your job or school), they really have no reason at all to bother you.

Married: June 9th, 2015

Comment

Only advice you need: Be honest! They will ask you questions about the purpose of your visit, maybe a few about your relationship. In general, customs are always so busy that they want to get everyone through as fast as possible. They will not keep you for a long time outside of the lines if there isn't anything highly suspicious about you. If you have a return ticket, you will generally have no trouble. I personally have never experienced anything bad!

Comment

You'll be fine, as the others have said be honest and have details of your return flight. I've been to the states a few times now and never had a problem. Have you done your ESTA online?

Comment

Thank you all so basically all I'll need is my e ticket receipt, photos of the 2 of us and tell them I have to get back to work the following week?

And yes I have done my ESTA already
          As one door closes another always opens and now I look to the future with a new outlook and perspective on life, it's an open book and I'm ready for the next chapter

Comment

I was so scared about being stopped too. My cousin had only just come back from the US and said she got held for 2 hours.

Well, that definitely didn't happen to me. My layover was at JFK, I spent about 15/20 minutes in the line and spent all of 2 minutes talking to the officer. He asked why I was there, how long I was staying, what did I plan on doing. I told him I was visiting my boyfriend, I was staying for 4 weeks, and that it is our first visit.

After telling me I was a brave girl he stamped my passport, wished me luck and off I went. Didn't have any trouble what so ever.

And as a bonus when I got onto my connecting flight and to my final destination I didn't have to go through immigration or customs again. Woo.

Good luck. All the best. xx
            Flying out to meet him for the first time: 16th November 2014 - 14th December 2014
            Flying out to meet him for the second time: 3rd June 2015 -18th July 2015
            Flying out to meet him for the third time: 12th December 2016 - 12th January 2017
            His first flight to me: April 2018 DENIED ENTRY
            Flying out to meet him for the fourth time: 23rd June 2018 - 7th July 2018
            Got Engaged: 12th December 2016
            Married: June 29th 2018
            Hoping to close the distance: 2019/2020

Comment

Having flown to numerous US airports for work and pleasure, I echo what other people have said.

You don't actually need any evidence you are going back - so don't present them to the officer, he will just want your customs form and your passport.

If you are worried tell him you are visiting a friend rather than girlfriend - I would often answer the 'how are you staying' question with X days, would be longer but have to go back to work, if it was a tourist trip. My business ones are never longer than a week typically..

3 hours should be plenty, the US immigration system is getting faster I think.

customs needs to be done once you have collected your bag, so don't stash the form away too safely as you will need to hand it over... made that mistake before when I first went over!

Comment

Working...
              X