Customs/Border Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Customs/Border Question

So as most of you already know, my girl and I are getting married on April 18th. I will be travelling (driving) with my family to PA on Friday morning and we will, obviously, all stop at the border. My question is, do I tell the agent I'm going to get married? To an American girl. I will obviously be coming back after the honeymoon but what if they think I wont be? I have a job, a dog and responsibilities at home, so I have to come back. Has anyone had to do that or have an ideas or suggestion?

I know the truth is probably the best, but I can't help but be nervous...
    Thanks!

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."
    Married April 18th, 2015!!
    Distance Closed October 4th, 2015!!

I'm assuming you required some form of visa to marry someone from another country. If this is the case, they'll just scan your passport anyway and the marriage visa would be there. Just tell the truth.

Comment

I'll be completely honest I wouldn't. You are leaving at the end of you're trip and that's all there is too it. You are visiting friends/family.
      My ex and I got married on the VWP and it is not against the rules unless you then try to stay which I never did. It'll only flag you as an over stay risk. Take proof that you have to return home if you do tell them. I have to take my tenancy agreement, letter from work etc as I have a US citizen daughter. Customs is a nightmare as it is I wouldn't stress yourself over minor details.
      Last time I went to see my boyfriend I said I was visiting friends. This time I will say friends and my daughters family. My personal relationship isn't customs business as I do not and would never have the intent to overstay. I don't want immigration hell and I'd never risk it.
      Last edited by Ella85; April 7, 2015, 08:09 AM.
      Engaged Dec 2015!! Visa approved June 2016 . Married July 18th 2016 <3

Home is where the heart is and my home will always be with my love.
      All the way from England to the USA.

Comment

Originally posted by Shauny View Post
        I'm assuming you required some form of visa to marry someone from another country. If this is the case, they'll just scan your passport anyway and the marriage visa would be there. Just tell the truth.
        No there is no Visa to marry someone in the US. Canada/US travellers/visitors do not need Visas. I will have a wedding dress in my car, so that's kind of hard to hide. Unless I put it in someone else's car. And we are going on a honeymoon after, leaving from the the US. I do have the lease for my apartment that I can take with me. That's a good idea. Thank you.

Anyone with a US/CAN relationship have any other suggestions?

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."

Comment

Sorry I am on my mobile and I didn't see your location. I would say take any paper work that ties you to Canada, letters from work, letters from a pet sitter etc etc.
          Engaged Dec 2015!! Visa approved June 2016 . Married July 18th 2016 <3

Home is where the heart is and my home will always be with my love.
          All the way from England to the USA.

Comment

I've read in the past that you're not supposed to tell border patrol that you're going to get married because they will give you a lot of crap for it. Back when I was dating a Canadian guy I looked into this stuff before I first visited him because I was nervous about crossing the border and my bf at the time was like "Get ready for them to interrogate you since you just recently got your passport."

I used to be part of an American/Canadian border forum (yeah it exists) and there were a lot of people who were having issues with crossing over for their weddings sadly. I personally would have gone the honest route because I can't deal with lying, but be prepared for them to give you a hard time, right down to checking your phone for text conversations. As someone else suggested, bring ties to your home with you such as a pay slip. If you have print outs for plane tickets that indicate you will be flying back to Canada at any point bring those so when they say "How do I know you won't try to stay here?" kindly offer to show them the print outs to your plane flights. I've heard the US side only accepts official proof, so any papers and documents that can strongly indicate ties to your country and intention to return are good. If you can't show proof of your intention to come back to Canada they will definitely give you a hard time.

Comment

You can always bring proof of return to origin of you feel like you want to tell the truth. But I wouldnt.

When my SO and I married in the USA we said we were going on vacation. Which was 100% true. We simply omitted the part about getting married. As a Canadian you'll get more slack, but if I were you I would omit the marriage part.

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies. It been on my mind for weeks now and I'm starting to think I'm just overthinking it. And it may be making me crazy. I think I'm going to go with the path of honesty and bring proof of return. Like my appartment lease, a very recent pay stub and I guess I can also mention the fact that I have a dog too. As silly as that may be. I'm ok with them giving me a "hard time". It shouldn't be too bad if I'm just honest. And lets face it, I suck at lying. lol Seriouly, I'm such an over thinker...this makes me more nervous than the freakin' wedding! haha

Comment

I didn't tell them when I went to Canada for our wedding. I have a nexus card (best thing I ever did. Seriously, spend the $50!) so I get to pass pretty easily. I just said I was vacationing, and they seemed happy with that. It may be more difficult in your situation though, especially since family will be with you.

Comment

Exactly! And I'm not going to ask everyone to lie for me... I don't feel right about that.
                    A Nexus card huh? I thought you had to be like "special" to get one of those. lol I cross the border so often, does it help? Do they not stop you? I'll have to look in to it.

Comment

A nexus card is so easy to get! Apply, have an "interview," do an eye scan, and go on your way. I think they asked me my name in the interview, and that was it. Most ports of entry have a lane just for nexus members (depending on where you cross. I fly a lot so). It's a "trusted travelers" program, so in my experience they ask less questions and you get to enter much faster. When I fly into Canada, I don't even talk to an agent. It's excellent.

Comment

Working...
                      X