First time in the United States!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time in the United States!

Tomorrow I'm jet-setting off from rainy England to the sunny state of Florida to be with my SO for two weeks! It'll be the first time I've been to the US and the first time I stay at her place, her background and her family. I've really nervous because I've never travelled such a distance before and never have I travelled over 400 miles by myself!

My work colleagues have been teasing me a little and have been saying how crazy US customs are; I have to write out a form, let them scan my fingerprints and my eyes? My work friend told me that their relative was just going on holiday but were pulled in for drug trafficking because they had a similar name wtf!!!) -.- I'm pretty much sure I wont have a problem but I get nervous about anything and everything, and I take all negative comments literally and they stick in my head for ages. I'm always nervous about airports and security, and the biggest thought about it I currently have is that if I'm questioned, my SO doesn't live in the best of areas... certainly not the worst, but not the best either. I have plenty of money and all my documents required, so my SO's house location is the only thing really getting to me. I just wanna land and get through to my SO without any issues. We have a schedule all set up and we've organised it so well, I'd hate for plans to be changed (I kinda have a few autistic traits, tested when I was little).

Phew! Sorry for blabbing on but I'm so excited but so nervous at the same time! I'll let you all know how things get on Maybe send a couple of pictures
    However, I'd like to ask if anyone has any thoughts on where I am staying? Would I be pulled in for it? Do they check before I get through or is it just for emergency use? Thanks

Edit: I suppose much of my nervousness comes from what happened to my SO when she came here! Quarantined for 4 hours before almost being denied! Thankfully my family stepped in and helped. I have no such help this time :/

I have traveled to the US 4 times and every time it was easy.

They will scan your fingers, first 4 fingers on your one hand (I think they start with the left one, but I am not sure) then the thumb and then the other hand, 4 fingers and thumb and they will take your picture. If you wear glasses, they might ask you to take them off, out of my 4 times travelling, they have only asked me once to.

You hand them a custom form that you get in the plane / they hand out before you get to the small window where you talk to them. On the form you fill out if you have traveled through any other countries, the exact address where you will be staying and a couple of questions of things you might have done or taken with you - like do you have guns, do you carry knives, did you come into contact with live stock, are you bringing food with you (they mean meat, dairy or fruit - I brought chocolate and that doesn't count as food). If you are bringing anything with you that is going to stay in America, you have to declare what it is and how much it's worth.

Then they will ask you a couple basic questions.
    Mine were:
    "Where are you staying?" - I named the address and said "with friends".
    "Did you pay for your ticket?" - I told the truth and said yes
    "Do you have your return ticket?" - I said yes and gave them the ticket.
    "How long is your stay?" - "11 days" "89 days" "75 days"
    "How do you spell Ellington?" - E-L-L-I-N-G-T-O-N

And that was it.

If you are honest and respond to questions in short responses, things are gonna go smoothly.

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
    First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
    Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
    Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
    Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
    Married: 1/24/2015
    Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

I got quizzed a little on one of the times I went as my passport is still in Mrs X and I said I was visiting my boyfriend so that raised a few concerns. But it was just at the desk I didn't get whisked off to a room or anything, to be honest since then I've just said 'friend' instead of boyfriend and have had no problems at all.

I'm sure you'll be fine though. Have a great trip

Comment

It's amazing to me that the government gives visitors traveling legally a hard time, but the illegals get food stamps, free health care and get to go to public school. This country is screwed up!

Have a great trip. I'm sure it will be fine!
        sigpic

I love him. Forever. And every day after that.

Comment

Originally posted by TaraMarie View Post
          It's amazing to me that the government gives visitors traveling legally a hard time, but the illegals get food stamps, free health care and get to go to public school. This country is screwed up!

Omg yes! This infuriates me to no end ugh >.<

Have a great trip OP!

Comment

Thanks all! Feeling somewhat better. My flight has been delayed however :/

Comment

Originally posted by TaraMarie View Post

What a nuanced take on that issue there.

That being said, US border control needs major, major reforms.

Comment

Hope it all went well. I've always just said visiting friends or family. This time I'll be saying visiting friends and my daughter is visiting her dad.
                Engaged Dec 2015!! Visa approved June 2016 . Married July 18th 2016 <3

Home is where the heart is and my home will always be with my love.
                All the way from England to the USA.

Comment

Usually it is not a big problem when you come to US, so hopefully all went well for you. I'm curious, how it went for you. Please update asap.

Comment

Sorry for the late reply all; had so much to do in such little time! Yes getting through was fine and had no problems except a few questions. Got through customs in 5 minutes; Sanford is only a small airport so it was nice

Comment

Glad it went well and hope you had a great time
                      Engaged Dec 2015!! Visa approved June 2016 . Married July 18th 2016 <3

Home is where the heart is and my home will always be with my love.
                      All the way from England to the USA.

Comment

Working...
                      X