Visiting my SO for 6 weeks this Summer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visiting my SO for 6 weeks this Summer!

Long story short: I have a very low and insecure income and basically don't ever know if I can continue to afford living on my own just months in advance. The very little money I do get to save, I like to use the absolute most out of. So when I bought plane tickets to meet my SO in America, I wanted to make the most out of that money. So my first time meeting him will be a 6-week-long meeting... I'll be staying from June 30 til August 10.

I know this can put a lot of strain on a new relationship. But we both know, accept and respect that having some space to be alone can be good, and he still works a job while I'm there, so it's not like it's just us being together staring at each other for 6 weeks.

Anyhoo, I believe I've done all the necessary things for my stay. I got a new passport, I checked on stuff like whether I'll be able to drive there with my licence, how long I can stay without a visa (3 months). And we arranged for some fun activities and trips.

If you guys have some suggestions of feedback or tips or whatever, I'd love to hear them. I'll make sure to keep this thread up2date as wel.

First of all, best of luck with your future money situation. I'm rooting for you every day

Secondly, I think you got it all! Just make sure you don't underestimate the summer weather there. If you're not good with heat, you'll be sweating quite a bit. Always have a spare shirt with ya when you go out!

Can't wait to hear how it goes! I'm sure you'll have a damn fine time

~
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle
    The hands of the many must join as one
    And together we'll cross the river

Comment

Did you get your ESTA? It's ~$14 and has to be paid with a credit card (ugh, thank god my dad has one..) https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/
      Other than that you seem to be well prepared!

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
      First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
      Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
      Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
      Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
      Married: 1/24/2015
      Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Hey what a coincidence!
        My SO who I've been with since mid January also lives in Missouri. I'll be visiting her a little later than you though, in August.

I wish you the best of luck and a wonderful time. Also really curious to hear how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by snow View Post
          Did you get your ESTA? It's ~$14 and has to be paid with a credit card (ugh, thank god my dad has one..)
          Other than that you seem to be well prepared!
          I have never heard of this, nor have I ever heard of anyone ever needing one, nor have I been instructed that I need one. Are you sure I need one of those?

I just know that I can stay up to 90 days without needing a visa and that all I need is a valid passport.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakebite View Post
            I have never heard of this, nor have I ever heard of anyone ever needing one, nor have I been instructed that I need one. Are you sure I need one of those?

I just know that I can stay up to 90 days without needing a visa and that all I need is a valid passport.
            It's weird - Yes, you need it for the 90s days stay, but no, it doesn't get checked at the airport. Wikipedia explains it too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electr..._Authorization

I wouldn't risk it. The US got their ears and eyes everywhere when it comes to immigration and border control, whether it's for vacation or otherwise. Since the Netherlands is one of the participating countries, you should roll with it before they end up denying you entrance for something so silly.

~
            It'll take a lot more than words and guns
            A whole lot more than riches and muscle
            The hands of the many must join as one
            And together we'll cross the river

Comment

Originally posted by Snakebite View Post

You absolutely need an ESTA, you won't be allowed in without being approved with it.

You also need to renew it every two years, or whenever your passport is renewed/changed.
              Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

You 100% as the others said need an ESTA. I just paid for one in February and they are good for 2 years but my passport expires next month and I renewed it early and now I have to buy a new one. Seriously don't leave it to the airport. Applying for an ESTA on a mobile phone is not fun, it's stressful and I had to run across heathrow airport because it delayed me checking in. Everyone thought I was crazy but I ran the whole 20 min walk from one end of heathrow to the other to make my flight on time because I didn't know they changed the visa waiver online and had to stand there on my phone applying for it which I was worried the page would shut out or something..

I hope you enjoy your trip. I'm going July 22nd for 6 weeks too.
                Engaged Dec 2015!! Visa approved June 2016 . Married July 18th 2016 <3

Home is where the heart is and my home will always be with my love.
                All the way from England to the USA.

Comment

Working...
                X