Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cool things to do in DC while I'm up there next month?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool things to do in DC while I'm up there next month?

I just booked my train ticket for the 2.5 weeks I get to spend with my love! I'm so excited!
    July 3rd needs to arrive, folks.
    We'll be spending 10 days up where he lives, and then we'll drive back down to my house together and spend about a week here with me and my family. It's going to be great.
    He lives about 20 minutes from Washington DC, though, so we plan to spend at least a day or two bonking around the city. Neither of us are terribly familiar with the place, so I was wondering: do any of you guys have favorite DC activities we should try out?
    We'll probably visit a couple of Smithsonians, so that's a start.

The Smithsonian's will take you a long time, so you might want to check out what particular things you want to see.

My mother grew up in Fairfax County and I still have family there. Definitely check out the big things. Go the Washington Monument/National Mall. Check out the Reflecting Pool. Visit the Lincoln Memorial. Here's a link of places to visit: https://www.placesinwashingtondc.com/

After going pretty much every year while growing up, my last visit was in 1989 as our senior trip in high school. I know it has increased dramatically in size, so make sure you have a good GPS!
    To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

Try to take photos without a homeless person being in them.

Just kidding, but there are seriously a lot of homeless people in DC. Just forewarning you. Nothing against them. It's just surprising and a bit depressing.

Comment

If neither of you have been, definitely make the rounds at the memorials. If you're going to be there around the 4th, expect it to be SUPER busy and be hard to find any parking. Everything will be busy, there won't be much getting around that. Parking will be pricey for the holiday, but it would definitely be worth going. There are usually fireworks on the mall with a concert - bring a picnic (or two) and blanket or chairs, plenty of sunscreen and water.

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
        Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
        Progress: Working on it.

Comment

Yes, definitely go to the memorials and the Smithsonian. If you guys had extra time, I'd say take a drive up to the Baltimore Aquarium. It's AWESOME there and the harbor has all these awesome boutiques. I haven't been in that area in a few years, but DC and Baltimore are on my and my SO's bucket list. Have fun!!!!!

Comment

If you like history and want to get out of the main city, Mount Vernon is only about a half hour away. (We got in trouble our senior trip for rolling down the hill.....oooops!)
            To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

Fords theater! And the botanical gardens! We were there last year and saw all the monuments and the smithsonian in about six hours! (Dinosaurs were closed).
              sigpic

I love him. Forever. And every day after that.

Comment

Originally posted by TaraMarie View Post
                Fords theater! And the botanical gardens! We were there last year and saw all the monuments and the smithsonian in about six hours! (Dinosaurs were closed).
                Even with the dinosaurs being closed, I have no idea how you saw the entirety of anyone of the Smithsonians in less than 6 hours... (I'm assuming you mean just the Museum of Natural History, as well, since all of the free museums on/near The Mall are Smithsonian.) Last time we were in DC it took us all day to see 80% of the Air & Space Museum.

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
                Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
                Progress: Working on it.

Comment

Originally posted by lyonsgirl View Post
                  Even with the dinosaurs being closed, I have no idea how you saw the entirety of anyone of the Smithsonians in less than 6 hours... (I'm assuming you mean just the Museum of Natural History, as well, since all of the free museums on/near The Mall are Smithsonian.) Last time we were in DC it took us all day to see 80% of the Air & Space Museum.
                  Correct.....I should have elaborated. I only went to see the one I wanted to see. I've been to DC so many times so we've done all the other ones....
                  sigpic

I love him. Forever. And every day after that.

Comment

Everything in DC is cool.

I love that city!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X