Girlfriend Visting for 3 Months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Girlfriend Visting for 3 Months

I live in Canada and she's from Slovakia. No visa is required for stays up to 6 months.

However, sometimes they reject people if they think they may work or overstay their visit.

She is only 21 and is taking a gap year. She's planning on staying 3-months, doesn't have a lot of money, isn't in school, nor will she have a job obviously.

Will this be suspicious to border officials? Also, heard bad stories of people telling them they are visiting their significant other? Should she say meeting family friends?

Maybe I'm watching too much border security TV shows...lol

Thanks for any help.

I would definitely say she's visiting a friend and only say it's a significant other if they want her to elaborate. Other than that, I'll let the Canadian members take over :P

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
    First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
    Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
    Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
    Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
    Married: 1/24/2015
    Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Under the circumstances, I would tell her to say she's going to visit a friend. Only because you mentioned that she doesn't have a job or school to go back to, i.e. not really any particular reason to go back, you know? No responsibilities. Does she have a return ticket booked already? That could be proof that she will be returning home...

But really, it can go either way. My SO drove up to Canada with a car full of stuff (she's starting to bring things to my place) and she looked like she was moving. He asked her if she was coming back to the US. She was honest and he let her through. Also, I've noticed, oddly enough, ever since we got married and I've been saying "I'm going to see my wife for the weekend", it's seems to have been easier to go through the border. I was scared they would be more hesitant but they aren't. I guess LDR are nothing uncommon anymore. I guess they see when they scan our passports that we always come back. lol

Is it the first time she goes to Canada?

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."
      Married April 18th, 2015!!
      Distance Closed October 4th, 2015!!

Comment

How does she plan to explain that she will stay abroad 3 months without much money? Has she saved up for her gap year?
        I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
        - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

My GF only wanted to stay in England for a month yet she was quarantined for 4 hours while I was all upset in the airport. She was questioned by 3/4 different people and I was twice. I know they're just doing their jobs but honestly I think a hint of racism was applied because she's a latina (born and raised in the US). Since she was staying with me in my parents home I had to hand over my mother's number and they called her too. I called my auntie who works in law and she was foaming with customs. She told me they have the right to listen into the calls we make. Ofc I called my mam dad and friend etc. She was finally let into the country with a 3 or 6 month visa but was expected to fly back in a month. Absolute liberty though.
          When I went to the states for two weeks I had no such issue. I just lied and told them I was her friend/Penpal and not girlfriend.

Comment

I would say have her tell them she's just visiting friends for an extended vacation or something.

Comment

Originally posted by differentcountries View Post
              How does she plan to explain that she will stay abroad 3 months without much money? Has she saved up for her gap year?
              She's going to be staying with family and friends. Therefore, no expenses for rent and little for food. I guess I depend what we consider little money. She'll have at least 3K USD.

Originally posted by Mims27 View Post
              Under the circumstances, I would tell her to say she's going to visit a friend. Only because you mentioned that she doesn't have a job or school to go back to, i.e. not really any particular reason to go back, you know? No responsibilities. Does she have a return ticket booked already? That could be proof that she will be returning home...

But really, it can go either way. My SO drove up to Canada with a car full of stuff (she's starting to bring things to my place) and she looked like she was moving. He asked her if she was coming back to the US. She was honest and he let her through. Also, I've noticed, oddly enough, ever since we got married and I've been saying "I'm going to see my wife for the weekend", it's seems to have been easier to go through the border. I was scared they would be more hesitant but they aren't. I guess LDR are nothing uncommon anymore. I guess they see when they scan our passports that we always come back. lol

Is it the first time she goes to Canada?
              Good to know.

Yes, first time in Canada. And yes, she has a return ticket.

However, she has been to the USA before for 6 weeks and has a US Visa. I guess that could provide some proof that she has been to North America before and didn't overstay.
              Last edited by FatalX; June 12, 2015, 01:14 PM.

Comment

She'll be fine. 3K is plenty and I would have her say she is going to visit a friend. My daughter is a US citizen and when I visit I will say we are visiting friends and family for the summer, have £800 in the bank and I have a job/apartment to go back to and my daughter has school.
                Engaged Dec 2015!! Visa approved June 2016 . Married July 18th 2016 <3

Home is where the heart is and my home will always be with my love.
                All the way from England to the USA.

Comment

Working...
                X