Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I tell my parents that I am traveling 500+ miles away?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I tell my parents that I am traveling 500+ miles away?

I am 25 and I live on my own, however I need my parents to watch my dogs while I go to visit the guy I have been talking to. We have only been talking for two months but we have already met for the first time when he came here to visit me. I am very close to my dad, but he is very overprotective. I do not want to keep this from him, and I want to tell him that I plan on going to visit for a weekend next month. We have plans for the 4th of July and I really hope my dad understands and trusts me enough to go. I have no idea how to bring this up to him, I am thinking about sending him a text so he can take it all in and hopefully think first without overreacting (que phone call 30 seconds after sent text) "Bobby" also said he would talk to my parents, so I'm hoping that will help ease my parent's a little.

If you have protective parents, how did they handle it when you told them?
    Last edited by Summer0808; June 17, 2015, 11:35 PM.

My daughter is 25 too. How about "dad, I have plans to visit a friend. Can you watch my dog?"
    sigpic

I love him. Forever. And every day after that.

Comment

My method for this kind of stuff was always a version of the truth. Like TaraMarie said, tell him point blank, but keep it vague.

My mom has met friends she met online multiple times so I think for her to think that I shouldn't would be hypocritical of her. My dad never supported relationships that started online. He's always told me that I may think they're my best friend and I may even fall in love with one of them, but at the end of the day I don't really know them. Obviously I don't listen to that advice.

Comment

I wish it were that simple, I never go out of town so he would definitely be asking me questions.

Comment

I think it's best to just be honest.
          What's the worse that can happen? He wont watch your dog?

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."
          Married April 18th, 2015!!
          Distance Closed October 4th, 2015!!

Comment

Honesty is best. My daughters are 19 and 20. They are adults and can make their own decisions. Do I worry sometimes? Of course. But I also have to trust them. It's now their life.

My daughter is going to be going to TN to meet someone for the first time and I'm nervous.....even tempted to go with her. But she told me and now that I know, I am going to Skype with the guy and will have all his contact information.

I think sometimes parents aren't given enough credit. Tell him. He can't stop you. He may worry about you. That's what parents do. I'm sure he'd be much more upset if you weren't honest and he found out later.
            To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

I can definitely relate with the over protective dad thing and I know how annoying it can be to have to explain these things. I still haven't told my dad i'm even dating because I could really do without his questions and worries but I feel that it'll only get better once he gets used to this sort of thing.

Try to tell your dad that this is important to you and that you are hopeful that you can confide in him about it, and that you want to be able to tell him things without him freaking out about it. Assure him that everything will be fine and that you'll call/text every once in a while to let him know you're okay. Or even give him some contact information of your SO to put him at ease. I told my SO to give his mom both my address and phone number so she knows where he is and how to reach me just in case. Your dad needs to understand that you are an adult, trust that he didn't raise a dummy, and that you are capable of making your own decisions.
              "The Only Heaven I'll Be Sent To,
              Is when I'm Alone With You."

Met: Sometime in 2016
              Started Relationship: August 9, 2017
              First Visit: December 7, 2017
              Closed the distance: February 9, 2018

Comment

Well I went with honesty! He took it really well, much to my surprise which makes me even happier about this trip because I don't have to hide anything. Huge burden was just lifted off my shoulders Thank you everyone for replying!

Comment

That's awesome!!

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."
                  Married April 18th, 2015!!
                  Distance Closed October 4th, 2015!!

Comment

I'm glad he took it well. I was going to say I think you should just talk to him honestly. He'd be much more hurt if you lied about it.
                    Engaged Dec 2015!! Visa approved June 2016 . Married July 18th 2016 <3

Home is where the heart is and my home will always be with my love.
                    All the way from England to the USA.

Comment

Working...
                    X