Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time meeting. Not as planned. Suggestions ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time meeting. Not as planned. Suggestions ?

Hello !

So, im in a long distance relationship with this girl, for about a year now. It's been going great, we live in the same country only that we live in diferent towns. I've met her through facebook, and since then, things got pretty serious about 2 months in, we started skyping each day all day, we started doing things together, building trust in each other, and most importantly, LOTS OF LOVE and caring, we learned together what love is despite the distance. Basicly, we love each other to death, thing is, this summer, we're about to meet. That's not the problem. The problem is that, im 17, she's 16. So we're still kind of in control of our parents, they set up the meeting (which i know, sucks, but we have no other choice). Basicly, me and her had plans that i'd stay for 1 week, her mother found an apartment for me, and we'd hang out and love each other. But this night, my mother talked with her mother on the phone, and they settled to just 3 days of staying, and that will be under the presence of their parents MOSTLY (not all the time probably) and when i heard that, i got an empty feeling in my stomach. I mean i get their POV cause it's risky and its the first time something like this happened, and it's for the best. But, our view on this, it's more... mnyeh... Like, i cant imagine her parents around all the time, and me, being unable to show my affection to her, beacuse im ashamed of her parents being there assisting to it. And also, her dad was not ok with this relationship in the first place, her mom is a bit: ''meh, lets just make our daughter happy'' so im not really GOOD looking in their parents eyes yet... I promised that i will fight for this relationship until the end, because i geniunely love this girl to death. Thing is, we both had high expectations about this meeting, and now it's just slowly falling apart with all the bad news we got on how it's gonna go. Also she wont be able to sleep with me or stay too much alone with me (cause duh... her parents...). Any of you have any ideas or suggestions on how should i act, when i first met her parents, what to do, and if this will get any better ? (hopefully). I know things, but you can never learn enough. Im a good guy generally, we're both comited to this, but these news just really brought us down a bit... Help ?!

You need to look at the positives and not the negatives.

There are not a lot of parents out there who would be willing to put up their child's SO in an apartment for any length of time just so the kids can meet. They are also providing the transportation. Be thankful. You get to spend time together. You get to see each other. Yes, parents may be there and you may not get to sleep in the same bed but you are getting to see each other.

Once you are both 18 (if that is the legal age there) and you are able to fund your trips and do what you wish, then you can do what you want. For now, be thankful you each have parents willing to work with you on meeting.
    To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

You sir, have a good point of view. Thanks for your suggestion, i really appreciate it. I've always been the kind of guy to look at the positives, but this just really put me a bit down (which doesn't usually happen) beacuse of my unrealistic expectation. But you're right, staying positive and being thankful for what i'm given is the way to go here !

Comment

I agree with R&R, I think you have really understanding parents that are willing to let you meet. You need to see the positive in that. Show them how responsible you can both be and then there will be a next time as they will start to trust you. There is only 2 years until your girlfriend is 18 and then you can both do as you please. Until then you both have to listen to your parents.
        Engaged Dec 2015!! Visa approved June 2016 . Married July 18th 2016 <3

Home is where the heart is and my home will always be with my love.
        All the way from England to the USA.

Comment

I second R&R completely. Also, just to let you know, I'm 26, 27 in 2 weeks. I was 24 when my SO and I met. Guess what? My family made me bring my brother and his boyfriend with me to our first date. So, I completely understand how you feel, and how embarrassing it is. I made my brother and his boyfriend go in the car while I kissed my SO...our first kiss and it was just a normal peck on the lips.

They probably felt that a week was too much, and overdoing it in case you two do not click in person. It can happen, and they're looking out for your best interests, both of you. About her parents being there, that's their baby girl who's about to meet someone from the internet. Her parents, especially her dad, do not have you in their good thoughts. If you don't let this bother you, and try to get to know her parents while they're there with you, this could definitely be a win for you. They might like you, a lot, and maybe ease off on your relationship with their daughter.

Think of it this way: This is a great chance, and opportunity, for everyone to really get to know you. Both your SO and her parents. Not a lot people's parents are this supportive, even if you think it's not much. Some parents would not be okay with it all, and not even allow their son/daughter to meet their SO's. Let alone provide a place to stay, and transportation.

Also, R&R is a woman.

Comment

Wow guys, thank you all for the awesome support and great feedback you're giving me, when i wrote this thread, i was pretty let down. And know you guys are opening new windows of opportunity and views for me, and for my girlfriend, since we had the same level of concern. This will be the best thing as long as we're supporting each other, and be thankful for every second spent together. And you guys are right, i get their POV's also and they're not wrong by any means. It's just that my mindset was a bit in fog after i received the news. I will try to follow every piece of advice u guys left me ! Im here to listen to everybody, so if anyone feels like writing something or asking me something to get more info, please feel free to do so. Im leaving in 4 days to see her.

Comment

I just wonder: what does POV mean?
              I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
              - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Point of view

Comment

It's fine and completely understandable. I was annoyed and frustrated too when my parents told me I couldn't see my SO without bringing my brother. It was a safety precaution, and they wanted to make sure he was a nice guy.

Comment

I know. Im looking forward to meeting her. And im up to make the best impression there ever was to her parents, cause now i really see this as the best opportunity of my life to make my life goal complete. Thank to everyone of you commenting in this thread, wish i could treat you guys with a beer or something, everything you guys wrote here, really helped me ! And i wish you all the best life and best of luck in your LDRs. May you guys never let distance rule !

Comment

Make sure that you act like yourself when you meet her parents. Don't go overboard as parents can tell the difference between someone being genuine and someone trying to overly polite, etc. Let the true you show through. You love their daughter. Show it in the kind way you treat her and the ease of how the two of you get along. I know it will be a little nerve-wracking at first but you'll do just fine.
                      To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

Working...
                      X