Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An Alabamian in the UK. Planes, Trains and Immigration Officers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An Alabamian in the UK. Planes, Trains and Immigration Officers.

Hi,

In July I turned 30. Scary to leave the twenties behind me. But I had the best birthday present. Two days later I picked up my soul mate, my love, my best friend, my everything, from Heathrow.

We'd been talking and in a relationship for a little over two years, meeting on a poetry forum. Neither looking for anything more than an outlet for our writing. But something about her, (you'll see yourselves as you read her posts) drew me to her. I knew nothing about her apart from her age and location....... And her awesome personality. We talked, joked, set poetry challenges. Stood up for each other and started messaging through the site. We seemed to naturally fall into something more than friends. Neither of us really vocalising it but both feeling it.
    We Skype and voice called, we kikd and yahoo messengered....daily. For hours and hours a day.

The day I picked Bridgette up from Heathrow, I was nervous and excited. I'd seen the tickets, had the flight numbers from Alabama to Chicago and on from Chicago to Heathrow, I had the flight tracker app to keep me updated. I was there early, 4 hours before the flight was due to land. Found myself a seat and settled in with a book. Updated from my phone telling me it was on time. Early in fact. I followed the route and speed and altitude.
    "Coming into approach"
    "Landing"
    "Landed"
    "Taxiing"
    "Awaiting baggage"
    "Baggage arrived at carousel 5"

Nothing. I was stood waiting at arrivals. Looking up at the screen saying the luggage had arrived. An hour went by and still nothing. I was playing hunt the American at this point. Looking for anyone that could've been on the Chicago flight. Looking for cub hats or Chicago hoodies.
    I started to worry, thinking maybe she'd missed the connecting flight? Travelling on her own, for the first time it was possible. But I would've heard surely? I stood at the barriers a little longer until I had to give in. I needed the bathroom.
    After walking from the bathroom I heard my name over the tannoy. I stopped in my tracks and listened again. "Can marsdamnsure contact immigration in relation to a passenger please"
    I fist pumped. That meant she was here!!!

I called immigration from the internal phone, some of the questions I found were a little more than needed. My place of birth, my salary, my job title. How I met Bridgette. Who she lived with. Her age. Date of birth. The names of her family. Anyway, after sufficiently answering her questions she told me Bridgette would be through shortly.
    I waited back at the barrier. Then I saw her. Pictures, videos etc don't do her justice. Even more beautiful in person.....but looking grumpy. It wasn't the massive run jump and cuddle I'd seen in movies or played out in my head daily for two years. It was a pissed off alabamian after two flights and an interrogation. I put an arm around her and we walked to the elevator. We were both quiet as I kissed her head and held and arm around her.

Then we got in the car and after programming the satnav it was like we'd always been together. As Bridgette put it once, it was like I'd waited outside a store for her and when she stepped off the plane, it was like coming outside.

What followed was a week split between London and Devon. A few days in the city then the rest by the sea.
    Seeing the globe in London was a must for a couple that met over a shared love of writing. Buckingham palace, Westminster, Big Ben, parliament, St James park. The hustle and bustle of a big capital city, a little intimidating to two country folk.

Devon, a change of pace. A long drive back from London and a quick stop at a 24 hour Tesco later, we were at my house. The first time my house as felt like a home was when we shared it.
    Walks on the beach, dinner dates, baking together, grocery shopping together. Meeting family. Meeting my pooch. Enjoying all the things most couples take for granted. Just being together. Hearing each other's voice without having to arrange a time to call or pick up a phone.
    I've fallen in love three times with this woman. Once through text. Once through the phone. And again in person.
    The most amazing week of my life. Physically being together. After those two years. It really really Reinforced how much we love each other and want to be together.
    Thus, plans are in place for the next visit in the new year.

Plus, always a bonus....my mum loves her and she loves my mum.

It was an amazing week, the best of my life. And those few days put everything perspective and made me not want to go home because where I was flying back to was no longer it. And, despite how amazing the trip and Mark was, the weeks following were complete HELL when that missing and loneliness sets in

Also it always helps to bake a cake to win over a mum.

Comment

Glad it worked out. All the best to you both.

Comment

Thank you, Redheart.

Comment

Glad that your trip went well and that they let her through immigration! Sometimes those situations can be nightmares, so it's a relief that you were able to see each other relatively quickly after that interrogation! Wishing the best for you two!

Comment

The immigration thing sounds all too familiar to me and my SO. Waiting at Gatwick 4 hours! Absolutely rediculous.

Comment

Enjoyed reading this! New year isn't that far away. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by MissingMyDutchLove View Post
                Glad that your trip went well and that they let her through immigration! Sometimes those situations can be nightmares, so it's a relief that you were able to see each other relatively quickly after that interrogation! Wishing the best for you two!
                Thank you. Can't believe how common place this seems to be with regards to immigration. Especially the questions asked and comments made to Bridgette. Highly intrusive and actually really rude. But the trip was awesome. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Shauny View Post
                  The immigration thing sounds all too familiar to me and my SO. Waiting at Gatwick 4 hours! Absolutely rediculous.
                  4 hours!!? That's crazy. Worth the wait of course, but still.

Comment

Originally posted by Ahava View Post
                    Enjoyed reading this! New year isn't that far away. Good luck
                    Thank you yeah counting down, can't wait to be together again.

Comment

Originally posted by MarsDamnSure View Post
                      4 hours!!? That's crazy. Worth the wait of course, but still.
                      Yes but when it takes so long you get very worried hahaha! She was mortified and as a result doesn't want to return to England through London.

Comment

Originally posted by Shauny View Post
                        Yes but when it takes so long you get very worried hahaha! She was mortified and as a result doesn't want to return to England through London.
                        I bet. I was worried after an hour or so. Four hours would've had me contemplating how long to wait before going home. I don't blame her.

Comment

Working...
                        X