Pre trip stress?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre trip stress?

Does anyone else start freaking out about forgetting to pack things, missing connections or losing luggage? It makes me so nervous! I'm not scared of flying, I'm not nervous about seeing SO this time (at least not yet lol). Just terrified that I'll miss a connection or lose luggage. I think traveling with a kid makes it worse because I have to keep track of her too.
    Engaged Dec 2015!! Visa approved June 2016 . Married July 18th 2016 <3

Home is where the heart is and my home will always be with my love.
    All the way from England to the USA.

I get a bit nervous if I'm flying via a new transit airport that I don't know yet. Usually I fly to Ghana via Istanbul, but last time I had to fly via Lisbon. It was fine in the end, though. How much time do you have to catch your connecting flight? That's the thing that used to stress me out the most. I'm sure you'll be fine

Comment

Originally posted by abna1 View Post
      I get a bit nervous if I'm flying via a new transit airport that I don't know yet. Usually I fly to Ghana via Istanbul, but last time I had to fly via Lisbon. It was fine in the end, though. How much time do you have to catch your connecting flight? That's the thing that used to stress me out the most. I'm sure you'll be fine
      It's 1-2 hours per connection and I have to get 3 flights. I usually get so stressed out that I can't sleep for 2 days before I fly so I've got some sleeping tablets for the hotel so I can try and get a few hours sleep at least before we fly and I'm going to sleep same time as my daughter because we have to get up at 4am to get to the other terminal. I've never spent the night anywhere other than the terminal. I only booked a hotel room because my daughter got scared last time and couldn't sleep, so I thought I should at least make sure she can sleep. I don't like that I won't be by check in first thing in the morning. I'm sure it's fine, it just makes me feel nervous and it's so close if I had to I could just get a taxi.

Comment

We will try for the first time this. In February I'm taking my kids to Maryland to see their dad so instead of sending them as unaccompanied minors all three of us travel together to D.C and back. From there on I continue to New Mexico to see my SO and on the way back I come back a day early not to miss my flight home with kids. For me would be more convenient to fly on my own directly to my destination ( I will have 7 more hours within the us!) after I drop them off. But I choose this because it's nice for kids this way and only slightly more expensive. I've traveled my fair share to the US and back for 20 years so it's only these new plans that make it a little more stressful. Since I don't have one fixed ticket to destination but two there is always the chance that flights are delayed or cancelled and I'm stuck somewhere on the way. Also the fact that I will probably have to face my ex with his new wife for the first time after our divorce. I don't necessary need that but I'm in very close contact with my ex mother-in-law and I want to visit her for a day. It's been over 3 years since I saw her.

So yes, I understand it can be nerve wrecking in many respects!

Comment

I can totally relate on the whole missing connections things. I've flown internationally twice and both times I have connections and was absolutely terrified I was going to miss my flight. For my flight coming back from seeing my ex in PA my flight from Pittsburgh to philly was delayed by a few hours and I was freaking out so much that I was going to miss my flight home, luckily I literally managed to get to the gate for my flight home with about 5 minutes to spare. Something similar also happened in London when I was flying to see my friend in Canada, i had to switch terminals and the bus that ran between the terminals took 40 minutes to turn up, i only had an hour lay over so i was really really freaking out. and then after that I got stopped at security and had to be searched and such because something was wrong with my bag apparently. eventually i made it to my gate which was on the literal other side of the airport and i had to run pretty much the whole way to make it but i just made it in time before the gate closed, my poor heart lol. After all these scary experiences i still absolutely love flying and can;t wait until i get to travel to see my SO again :3
          my girls <3

Josie (SO)
          Met online ~ 17th August 2017 ~
          Met in person ~ 30th August 2017 ~
          Became official ~ 15th September 2017 ~
          Closed the distance and moved in together! ~ 18th June 2018 ~

Ash
          Met online ~ 21st November 2018 ~
          Met in person ~ 26th November 2018 ~
          Became official ~ 4th December 2018 ~
          All moved in together! ~ 30th May 2019 ~

Comment

Definitely. I have been flying international with connections many times, and I did everything- lost luggage, missed connection, delayed luggage or flights. And I'm always getting nervous This time my bf is flying here and we meet at the airport and fly to my family, so I'm worried about weather (winter in Scandinavia can really freeze all traffic), about him missing connections, my train being delayed and many more

Side question: Has anybody of you experienced "developed" fear of flying? I did trips from Europe to Australia and States, but around 1 year ago I got so scared of flying! I had one situation with very bad turbulences and to be honest, I'm now afraid every time I fly. And I have never been scared before!

Comment

I've only ever missed my connection once. I was 17 weeks pregnant and they wouldn't let me get a drink while I was in a line so the room got spinny and they wouldn't let me get my flight till my blood sugar was normal. But still, I worry lol. I hate turbulence too but not afraid of flying.

Comment

Oh my god. Yes. I also have no fear of flying in itself, it's the flight complications I am terrified of! I HATE traveling alone. I don't have much travel experience (the one time I took a trip alone, I paid extra so I wouldn't have to change flights and just sat in my seat while the plane refueled) so I'm sure I will bungle it up, miss my flight connection and be stuck in some strange city, bawling my eyes out. I'll have to take 3 planes to go see my S/O in February, including some god-awful tiny Cessna plane, and I am already freaking out about it. Plus I have to check my luggage when I just want to clutch my belongings close to me while sitting in a fetal position. I can only imagine how travelling with a child makes the stress so much worse!

Comment

I used to be stressed about missing connections and such, now I never worry. Even at busy Istanbul airport I am totally relaxed, I know what to do and if not I will ask someone. I usually go directly to gate if it is a new airport, if I know the airport I wll usually stop for food first thing or mid way, and usually go for tax frees as the last option I can. I remember once in Oslo airport I was super stressed because my connecting flight was in late. I remember I ran through the entire airport and sort of collapsed on the Turkish airlines plane. I would probably had more time still but I did not take any chance. If you travel with a child that can't run, I am sure you could get some help driving to the gate.

I reccomend having chocolates or other heavy calory snacks in your hand luggage in case you don't have time to buy food - water are usually sold anywhere and is heavy to carry, so I buy on the plane or the last kiosk.
                  I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
                  - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

For me, my flights have been pretty relaxing. The only thing I've really stressed about is losing my luggage, passport, or my debit card. So I guess most of my stress/fear is losing the important stuff. I'm not really stressed about missing my connecting flight, because my layovers have always been 4-6 hours, and I usually get done what I need to (Transfer luggage to the connecting flight if needed, eat, exchange currency) within the first two hours of landing in Oslo, and then the remaining I usually spend at or close to the gates of my connecting flight to head up to Harstad/Narvik. So, most of the time I'm pretty much set.

The first trip was a different story, as I only had a 2 hour layover in Oslo, however we were late getting there, so it was only a 1 and a half hour layover, and I only had time to transfer my luggage and get through security before I had to catch my flight. So, on that note I'm kind of thankful for the long layovers.
                    "Love, it's not an emotion. Love is a promise!"- The 12th Doctor in Death in Heaven

You need to stop focusing on the "what if" and keep focusing on the "what is."

First Time Meeting: August 10th 2014-August 21st 2014
                    Second Time Meeting: March 13th 2015-March 20th 2015
                    Third Meeting: December 27th 2015-January 21st 2016 (We got engaged!)
                    Fourth Meeting: July 12th-August 25th 2016
                    Fifth Meeting: February 10th-February 28th 2017 (My S/O came to America!)
                    Next Meeting: June 20th-September 17th 2017 (Our longest visit yet!)

Comment

Blimey. Reading all this is enlightening!!!

I was going to save a hundred pounds or so next year by flying to JFK then on to Chicago, I think I'll stick with direct flights lol!!!

Comment

You don't always have to choose between saving lots of money and flying directly. Just plan your connection right, with min 3h layover, especially if you are connecting with different tickets. When I missed my connection flying the same airlines, they just rebooked me for free for next available flight (missing the plane was not my fault).

As a student, I'd rather save quite a lot of money and spend extra 5h at the airport connecting

Comment

Every time I fly with Turkish airlines, they loose my luggage. The first time, I got it back less than 24 hours before my return flight.The second time I flew with them, they also lost the luggage of my husband. Which is why I have started to fly more and more with just hand luggage! The only time Turkish airlines did not loose my luggage, it came so broken that they had to give me a new suitcase (which they had on the spot, apparaently they must break a lot of suitcases). I have no idea how they manage, or if I am a statistical marvel, TA says that the problem is that I travel with SAS before bordering the first TA plane, so that somehow the system does not read the suitcase markers right - which sound really stupid, I mean changing flights and companies on an international route is not that uncommon. I was adviced to check in my suitcase manually in Oslo, but that means getting in the security line at the busiest hours and at least another 2 hour travel time to be on the safe side, there is enough stress with taking 3 planes so I refuse to do that. Parts of the year I can fly direct flights with Norwegan, that is the best (although the food is not as nice). We have a standing joke: "And where is your suitcase?" "Bagaj yok"
                          Last edited by differentcountries; December 11, 2015, 05:37 PM.
                          I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
                          - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

ChloChlo: This is the reason I hate traveling though New York alone. In February I got lost and nearly missed my flight home. I was crying out on the street and no one would give me directions. For that reason I am flying most of the way there this time as I really can't deal with it with a kid. I had a horrible experience on greyhound last time, but luckily SO surprised me and was there so I was ok. But a stupid man started calling my SO fat and I lost my temper and told him he was rude and disrespectful and there was no need for it as my SO was just sitting in his seat.

Diffirentcountries: Don't tell me that lol I'm flying though Oslo. I hope I don't miss any connections there!! I have had to run to a gate before. My daughter can run to an extent but not like me. I train so I can run for 30 mins (not at the moment as I've been unwell again) but I could probably still run for at least 15. I think she'd be pooped after 4 mins. I'm flying with SAS!!!

Luckily I am flying the whole way with the same airline so I don't have to recheck my luggage they will do that for me. But it's not an airline I've ever flown with before. I've flown with Delta, Continental, Airlingus, Norwegan and probably a few airlines before. I'm pretty sure this is my 7th or 8th time flying to the US... but even so I am taking a lot with me this time... now after the baggage thing being said I need to find something in one of my bags and put it in my hand luggage. If I lose that I'll be devastated....

Comment

Working...
                            X