Border Problems USA -> Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Border Problems USA -> Canada

SO was denied entry into Canada at the border (he had taken a bus from the US) because he didn't have a return ticket and wasn't traveling with enough money. We obviously didn't think it through.

We're now planning for him to fly about a month after the first attempt. He'll have a round trip ticket and will be traveling with cash. What else can we do to make this easier? Any advice appreciated.

We haven't met in person but have known each other for many years and are very much committed to each other. We plan on getting married and applying for PR. If his return ticket is for a couple of weeks to a month after he arrives, is he still able to stay for the six months and apply for the additional six months? It's all very confusing and it's difficult to find clear information online.

I know normally when you go through border control they'll ask you how long you're staying for and possibly ask for proof that you have a return ticket and and will sometimes look at it to see if you're telling the truth about how long you'll be staying for. I'm not sure how the staying for months on end thing really works, i was under the impression you needed a separate visa thing to spend any more than 3 months in the country but i could be wrong. Hope you have some luck finding this stuff out for sure :3
    my girls <3

Josie (SO)
    Met online ~ 17th August 2017 ~
    Met in person ~ 30th August 2017 ~
    Became official ~ 15th September 2017 ~
    Closed the distance and moved in together! ~ 18th June 2018 ~

Ash
    Met online ~ 21st November 2018 ~
    Met in person ~ 26th November 2018 ~
    Became official ~ 4th December 2018 ~
    All moved in together! ~ 30th May 2019 ~

Comment

Yeah it's better to be safe than sorry when it comes to crossing the border in to Canada. Was it his first time? Because it does kind of look suspicious to come up to Canada for the first time and not have a return ticket... We don't usually have issues because they see my wife always goes back home eventually and they can see on her file that she's started the immigration process. But last time was a bit harder because she is staying longer than usual. We got stopped and had to go in, they checked her background, asked a ton of questions and they even search her car. We were just honnest and cooperated and it was ok.

For kittyxuchiha11, you do not need a Visa to come to Canada, from the US, for 6 months or less. You can even ask for a 6 month extension when your initial six month is almost up.

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."
      Married April 18th, 2015!!
      Distance Closed October 4th, 2015!!

Comment

It is probably a good idea to not stay for a long time the first time you go. It sounded a bit like he planned to stay for a year on the first visit...
        I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
        - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

My kids make the trip to Canada at least twice a year, if not more. Usually heading to PEI but they've gone other place. I have friends who live in upstate NY who border hop all the time. I've never heard any of them having issues like I see on the boards. Is it because of longer visits?
          To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

Because he has been denied entry once, it will probably be harder for him the second time trying. Make sure he is well prepared! He'll need a return ticket, proof that he has enough money to support himself while he is there, and proof of ties to home. Ties to home can be anything such as proof of a job, a lease or proof that he owns a home, etc. CBSA just wants to be sure that he isn't staying. He needs to be completely honest and cooperative with the agents.

CBSA will determine how long he can stay. If they write a date in his passport, he has to be out by that date. Otherwise, he is safe for 6 months. I would be careful about applying for any additional time. He is flagged because of the one time denial. If he is denied the additional 6 months he will have to leave immediately and it could make reentry more difficult in the future.

Comment

Thank you, everyone!

Comment

Working...
              X