Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Visiting the USA for two months - Advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visiting the USA for two months - Advice?

This is my second post here, but I really need to put my mind to rest about a few things!

I'll get my smaller question out of the way first:
    My boyfriend is coming to visit me in the UK in March (his first time travelling) and as far as I am aware he doesn't need to apply for any kind of visiter visa as he is free to travel under the Visa Wavier program from the USA to the UK, I assume that this is correct?

Now the main thing is that from May I will be visiting him for 2 months and a few days. I am free to use the Visa Esta to travel and I can stay for up to 90 days, which I will be within (and have a valid visa esta currently).

We have spent roughly a month in each other's company spread across a little over a year, and for me this trip is to see really how we fit together as two people, and to get a small taste of life in the states. I will be out there to spend my birthday with him (in May), his birthday (in June) and then the 4th July together before I go back home.

My main worry is border security being suspicious that I have an ulterior motive to stay.
    I'm just looking for advice of what to expect, what to say, what evidence I should bring? and what kind of thing should I expect from Border security when I have to explain such a long visit. We have no intention to marry in this time, and I have a job that my boss has allowed me to have this time off to visit him for. I work a management role that I need to go back to in the UK when I get home.

Has anyone here ever travelled to the states for a month or more to visit their partner? Is there any other advice for visiting for such a long time?

My worries come from having an incredibly intimidating Border officer one time, and he made me feel anxious and nervous because he was so rude and mean..
    but to contrast I have mostly had very pleasant and polite officers, so I just have no idea what to expect.

Sorry that this is all a mish-mash of my thoughts. I'm trying my best not to worry about something that is so far away, but I want to mentally prepare myself.
    Last edited by SquishyTacos; January 11, 2016, 10:17 AM.

I have no advice, but I'm following this thread as I will also be visiting my American boy for 1-3 months this year, and I want to steal the tips.

Comment

My SO has come to visit me for months at a time. Every time that he says he is visiting his girlfriend they grill him about if he brought a ring and if he is proposing and if he's staying forever blah blah blah. He's learned to just say that he's visiting friends. In and out quick and they have no real problems with it. If you do say that you are visiting your SO, you still should be allowed in the country just be prepared for some extra questions.

Comment

Working...
      X