First time meeting?...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time meeting?...

My boyfriend and I have been dating for about 10 months. We plan to meet this summer. I don't know how to plan our first meeting due to my parents being very strict. How can I plan a meeting without my parents finding out???

Originally posted by almaa_25 View Post
    My boyfriend and I have been dating for about 10 months. We plan to meet this summer. I don't know how to plan our first meeting due to my parents being very strict. How can I plan a meeting without my parents finding out???
    You don't keep your parents out of it. Honestly, this is very concerning to me. Strict or not, they are your parents and you need to keep them informed. You are a minor and like it or not, you are their responsibility. Being sneaky and dishonest is showing extreme immaturity. All you are doing is proving to them that you can't be trusted and would need even more supervision.

I went to meet my SO for the first time at age 43. As soon as we were in person, I took a picture of the two of us and sent it to my family and friends. My parents & children had my SO's name, address, phone number and name of his company. Why? For a couple of reasons. Though I had known him for a couple of years by this point, it was my first time meeting him in person. It was a safety issue. Secondly, out of respect. They wanted to know I was okay. I had no issue with that. Even when I visit now, I text just to let them know I've arrived safely because it's a 14-17 hour drive.
    To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

I agree with R&R. You are still a minor and it would not be a good idea to hide this from your parents. It's very important that your family knows where you are and that you're okay. I know that it may be frustrating if they tell you they will not allow you to meet, unfortunately though, they would be the ones in charge of that. Your parents are in charge of you until you turn 18.

I was 17 when I flew out of the country to meet my SO. I was still a minor and my mom was going to go with me to make sure that it went okay even though I would be staying with my SO and his family. Things came up where she was unable to go, so she decided to cancel the whole trip. I was devastated and very upset. She told me that because I was still a minor, I was her responsibility. I was about 4 months away from turning 18, so of course I was frustrated. After a long talk with her about lots of things, she decided to let me go.

Being open and honest with your parents shows them that you're mature. In the long run, it will allow your parents to trust you. I know it can be hard when parents are strict, but please please PLEASE always tell them where you are and what you are doing.

Comment

Working...
      X