Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visit frequency and duration?

Hello all!

There is such a wide variety of relationships represented here that I'm very interested to hear about how often and how long people are visiting their SOs, as well as what they feel like is and is not working well.

I'm in a new and somewhat undefined relationship with someone 1000 miles away. We have been friends a long time, but the dynamic shifted a bit around Christmas. I'm going to visit him in a few days for a week during which we will both be working. (my job is ok with me working remotely sometimes so it worked out).

What is everyone else doing?

My SO and I are also 1,000 miles apart. We've been together 2 years. We have had 7 visits. All but two were for a full week. As of right now, we haven't seen each other since last July. Things are up in the air about when our next visit will be.
    To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

It took us 3 years to close the distance. We had 12 visits in those 3 years. The longest I stayed was 4 months. This was during the visa process though. A typical visit for us was one to two weeks as we both worked full time. I think the longest we went between visits was around 4 months. We hated the distance. We didn't handle it well so we made it a priority to visit often because we knew we would never make it otherwise.

Comment

Almost 1000 miles as well. We promised never more than 3 months, then 2 months.. Now we try to see each other at least once a month. I visit him in FL for up to a week (stupid snow storm cut that short 3 days) and he now comes to me for 3 week visits. He can work remote anywhere there is high speed internet.. It's working great for us. Plan early and it's cheaper. T
        His RT ticket cost only 106 for this visit coming up!

Comment

We go a lot longer than the others due to our greater distance. It's expensive to fly and we were both students for the majority of our relationship as of this point. We have made it a little over two years and have been very fortunate with how much we have been able to see each other. We have had two 6 month visits and the rest of them have been about 2-3 weeks. The longest we have gone without seeing each other is 7 months. We just kind of take it as it goes and take advantage of opportunities when they present themselves, like studying abroad. Overall, we've been very lucky to see each other as much as we have! We try really hard not to let it get past that 6 month mark, but sometimes you just can't control it.

Comment

Although I haven't met my SO yet because the distance is so big and it's really expensive to fly anywhere near to where she is, i'm guessing we'll have hopefully 2 visits a year for probably from about 10 to 14 days each. we both have very busy schedules, her working full time and me being a full time student doesn't leave much time for us to see each other, hence why it's taking so long for us to meet as well.
            my girls <3

Josie (SO)
            Met online ~ 17th August 2017 ~
            Met in person ~ 30th August 2017 ~
            Became official ~ 15th September 2017 ~
            Closed the distance and moved in together! ~ 18th June 2018 ~

Ash
            Met online ~ 21st November 2018 ~
            Met in person ~ 26th November 2018 ~
            Became official ~ 4th December 2018 ~
            All moved in together! ~ 30th May 2019 ~

Comment

1,5 year in relationship, started out as close distance for 6 months. Then we parted and had 4 visits throughout 2015- which is very lucky considering ticket prices and we are both full time students with part time jobs. Visits are usually 2 weeks, we can't get more free time Longest we didn't see each other was 5 months and it was the hardest thing Don't know the time for next visit, but now it will be around june, so we'll be 6 months apart this time

Comment

1000 miles apart here. Doing this for almost four years. We started out every two or three months, then went to once a month, then every three weeks, then every other week. Now he lives here but commutes to work, so he flys home on Friday and back to work on Monday. Still waiting on a transfer.... Ugh!
                sigpic

I love him. Forever. And every day after that.

Comment

Almost 4000 miles apart. We have been together since October 2014 which is just today 15 months. I've made 3 trips first one was 2 weeks, second 6 and this last one was 3. I have to work around the school holidays and I am very lucky that I can take some unpaid time off work (along side the paid time). I can't take anymore trips now because we are planning on closing the distance in July. He's coming to visit in March and then we will be apart 4 months before Closing the distance. But the longest we have gone is 5 months and it was really hard. I know after his visit in March I'm going to really miss him again. But at least at the end of those 4 months we can just be together. We manage with daily contact. But sometimes it's harder than other times. But we love each other and we are strong enough to get though it
                  Engaged Dec 2015!! Visa approved June 2016 . Married July 18th 2016 <3

Home is where the heart is and my home will always be with my love.
                  All the way from England to the USA.

Comment

We've been together just over 3-years and had 6-visits. We're UK-USA so it's the price of flights that stops us doing it more.

Comment

We've been together for almost 4 years now and we see each other once or twice a year. We've had 6 visits so far, which were always around 4-6 weeks. Our longest time between visits was 8,5 months and our shortest time apart was 3 months. I've been lucky to get some time off work in between semesters and my SO also visited me once, but flight prices and visa regulations are a pain.

Comment

We've been together 6 months. First visit was for 2 days, the second (a month later) a week, and now the third (3 months later) will be another week. We have found that 3 months between visits is really, really hard on us, but there was no other option because of work issues. As we go forward we want to not go so long between visits again, but it's tough because it's expensive and my boyfriend doesn't like working while I'm there for such a short time, so we have to line up both our vacation schedules. Hopefully we will be closing the distance (short-term, without a visa) in 8 or 9 months, so we've just got to get to that point

Comment

My SO and I are over 8,000 miles apart and we've been together for over 4 years now and have had 2 visits. It doesn't seem like a lot, but our visits are really long, at least 6 months. We are also younger, so school and work gets in the way for us most of the time. Flights are so expensive, that's why we have longer visits. However, since we're both students, we can get some really good student priced flights.

Comment

No visits yet but we'll see eachother may 28th until June 28th. After that I'm not sure.

Comment

He was here in August for two weeks, and that was when our relationship really started, after having been pen-pals 30 years ago and spending a week together in 1991. I'm flying to New Zealand February 10 and will stay until the 29th. He already has his ticket for our next visit, 3 weeks starting at the end of July. So 4-6 months between visits of 2-3 weeks in duration so far. We both have full time jobs and kids still at home, so until we figure out how to close the distance (i.e. who gets to completely uproot their lives and move - hopefully him ;-), this is the best we can do. We chat in messenger throughout the day and FaceTime every night.

Comment

Working...
                              X