First time abroad, scared of immigration and customs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time abroad, scared of immigration and customs

I'm traveling abroad for the first time ever. It was such a pain getting a tourist visa alone but I managed to get it. I'm traveling to Australia to visit my gf and I'm from India. I have no relatives or friends in Australia and she's basically the only person I know. She invited me with an official letter and I've stated in my visa application that I've known her from 2 years. I have also stated she would show me around and look after me when I'm there.

We've never met yet, it's just online. Sice I'm from a risk country, the customs and immigration will be a huge problem for me. They're going to ask about how I met her, whether it's online friendship only. I certainly won't tell them we're in a relationship. I'm quite scared about it as I've read stories of people getting deported because of "online friendship/relationship"

-How do I go about this?
    -How do I convince them about our friendship and not get deported?

Ps, I have return ticket, I have a job here(stated as unemployed when I applied for visa as I got my job late), I have enough money, booked hotel.

Just relax! You have a visa already. Make sure you bring proof of ties to your home country and remain calm when being questioned. Unless you stated it in your letter, they shouldn't ask you whether your relationship is "just online". They may ask you how you met though.

Comment

The main thing is to have proof of everything printed out and easy for you to find (I am against just carrying electronic copies because what if your phone/computer dies?). Document everything. You got a job, bring your offer letter with you. I assume your job knows that you'll be traveling - maybe you can get HR or something to write a letter saying that they are aware you are traveling from x day to x day and expect you back at work on x day. Bring proof that you have enough money for your trip and definitely bring your return ticket.

Going through customs is always a nerve-wracking experience for me, so I always like to be prepared with every document I could conceivably need.
      So, here you are
      too foreign for home
      too foreign for here.
      Never enough for both.

Ijeoma Umebinyuo, Diaspora Blues

Comment

Just relax and enjoy..

Comment

Working...
        X