We spent 4 Months Together

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We spent 4 Months Together

I just came back from the UK two days ago, after spending a lot of time together with my SO.

It was great! First, he came to the States from Dec 11th-Jan 29th to spend Christmas and New Years with me and the family. Then, I traveled back to England with him to spend some more time with him and his family. We went to the Chinese New Year festival, celebrated his cousin's eighteenth birthday, saw Deadpool, celebrated our anniversary, went up north to see the in laws, and generally had a good time.

Now that I am back in the States, we are already planning for the next visit to keep everything flowing and moving forward. As long as we have visits planned ahead of time, are distance apart is bearable. I am suppose to go over there from Dec-March to spend Christmas and New Years over there, as well as attend a wedding, and celebrate our anniversary once again (we got married February 18th.)

These past two days have been quite hard for me, but I am trying to stay strong, like always. I am also trying to recover from Jet Lag. The plus side is, I have work tomorrow to keep me busy, and I have been taking horse riding lessons as well.

I guess what I wanted to do was share my visit to the community and look for some support and comfort while my hubby and I wait the eight months. You guys have been helpful every time I come on here, so yeah.

Glad you're staying positive, to me I feel that's half the battle. At least you've planned your next visit. Work will help keep you occupied too.

Comment

I'm curious, did you have any trouble getting in to the UK at all i.e. through customs? The first time me and my SO met, she came to the UK for just a month and they quarantined her. After a 4 hour fight and many phone calls, she was finally let in.
      This may have been due our situation as 'never physically mets' but now I'm nervous because she's agreed to come again almost 3 years later, for longer: 2/3 months. I'm not sure if it's going to be any easier letting her in.

Comment

Is your SO a US citizen? Because if so I'm very surprised they quarantined her, as US citizens shouldn't need a visa for tourist travel up to 6 months (if she filled in the landing card that she was visiting for tourism I wouldn't expect it to be questioned either).

To fill in the details, was she quarantined in the traditional sense of she might have the plague, or that she was put in a room on her own? And from that, was the issue passport/who she was meeting or to do with customs (as you mention customs)? As passport/who she's meeting and customs/quarantine are two big separate issues.

Comment

I'm really not sure.

She told me she was pulled to one side and questioned in a nice room by several people. Could have been due to our first meeting physical meeting, could have been she only got her passport months before. Could have been because she didn't bring much money, She questions if it was her ethnicity, but most in my family say it ways because it was our first meeting, and I could have been anyone to customs I.e. I could be trafficking her or something like that.

Comment

P.S. By customs I mean the U.K. Border.
            It's just what we call them.

Comment

Originally posted by Shauny View Post
              I'm curious, did you have any trouble getting in to the UK at all i.e. through customs? The first time me and my SO met, she came to the UK for just a month and they quarantined her. After a 4 hour fight and many phone calls, she was finally let in.
              This may have been due our situation as 'never physically mets' but now I'm nervous because she's agreed to come again almost 3 years later, for longer: 2/3 months. I'm not sure if it's going to be any easier letting her in.
              While I did not have any trouble getting into the UK, I was questioned, and had to make sure to bring evidence that I was not intending to illegally stay in the UK. I went through the line for British Citizens with my husband, since that it what the Immigration Officer suggested on my previous visit to the UK (we were traveling together from the US.) The questions were not too harsh. She questioned me on my work, on his work situation, when we got married, and questions about the spousal visa (if we knew how much was required to apply for one, and had to tell her why we were not eligible at the time to apply for one.) I had a letter from my employer on me, and my bank statement showing that I had enough funds to support myself while over in the UK. That seemed enough for her, and she stamped my passport without a problem.

When visiting the UK, I always have to make sure to bring a letter from my employer, a bank statement showing my funds, and a print out of my return ticket. When I go again, I plan to also bring a letter from my Trainer at the barn I ride at as well, since I have to be back in the States to continue my training for the summer show seasons.

Comment

Your family could be right, especially if she mentioned she was coming to meet her boyfriend for the first time and as a young female she would be in a high danger category.

It does sound like it could be for a few reasons, but as Phantomrose says, you can be safe and bring extra evidence just to be sure.

Comment

Working...
                X