Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Families meeting!

Hi all

Its not quite a 'meeting for the first time" as my partner and I have been together nearly 2 years and closed the continental gap between us last year. We are quite happily together- when the army lets me have him! (Which isn't much if I'm honest)

Through the various visits over the years we have both met each others families and we get on with each others parents swimmingly! In fact, he's deployed and I am off to visit his parents for the weekend

This summer, we are taking the big step of introducing our families to one another. Because of the gap, it can't be a nice neutral 'meet at a restaurant' thing, his family are flying from the UK to Canada to spend 2 weeks with my family, and us all together. AGHH!

I'm abit nervous to be honest. We aren't engaged or anything, and I'm a bit nervous the 'family meeting' will go terribly wrong and it'll all fall apart. Which isn't logical if i'm reasonable about it, they are quite similar, and at the end of the day both sets of parents genuinely want us to be happy together and fully support our relationship. Plus, if we can survive 2 deployments in 12 months we can survive anything! It just feels like a big step, especially with the huge distance his family are travelling.

Does anyone have experience of doing something similar with their OH and your families. Can you offer tips, or even just success stories to set my mind at ease a bit?

My family met his last year (just after we got courthouse married) and it went amazingly well. My mom was initially NOT okay with me dating/my LDR/my SO, but she found out early on and had plenty of time to process. Two completely different immigrant families and two very strong-willed mamas. We all got together for brunch at a restaurant and our mothers instantly got along, chatting non-stop like old friends. I'm still really happy about it. We then went over to my in-laws house to talk a little more, exchange gifts and make some plans for meeting in the future. My mother-in-law still talks about how lovely it was to meet my mother and my mom considers them to be family.

You're already off on the right foot if both of your families are fully supportive and it's definitely easier to meet on neutral ground. If we had as much time as you, I'd want to take them to do something fun together like mini-golf or something touristy. Definitely take pictures!

Married: June 9th, 2015

Comment

My family will meet his family for the first time at our wedding in 37 days (except my one brother who knows his sister). My mother is such a miserable woman that I am not looking forward to it. Plus she is a little In Love with my ex husband so she's not happy about having a new son in law. Ugh! There will be a lot of adult beverages!
      sigpic

I love him. Forever. And every day after that.

Comment

Working...
      X