He is here.. and he met the Ex!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He is here.. and he met the Ex!

The boyfriend arrived last Tuesday and I have to say that this visit is the first time that he's getting that taste of "real life" in my house. I can't keep taking vacation while he's here anymore since we have December plans. Can't keep eating out all the time, every night isn't date night, honeymoon is (sort-of) over... there's the cleaning, laundry, cooking meals... kids, homework, packing lunches, getting everyone showered and ready for bed... I did work from home 2 days last week. He took me to work today. He is working on his MBA, so he has his homework to do as well.

Our visits have been mini-vacations pretty much until now and I was a bit concerned about him interrupting the established routine that the kids and I have. (my boys are 12 and 14, very accepting of him). To my delight, everything has been smooth and natural. I cook the meals, kids clear the table, and he does the dishes while I pack the kids lunches. He pretty much dove right in and I loved it. Kids have met him enough times now to where everyone is comfortable with each other - so he had no issue hollering at them when necessary... by hollering I don't mean yelling... I mean that when the kids would wander off (like kids do) before they finished their chores, he would holler their name and ask them to come back down stairs and finish their chores. Ya know, like any of us would do when kids are distracted by texts and video games. I'm so glad he's also a dad of 3 (and a good dad I will say).

So, he did meet the ex-husband on his October visit, but it was awkward to say the least. This visit they actually had a bit more interaction and I think he doesn't hate the ex as much as he used to. Granted, my complaining about the ex added to the disdain and he knows the ex is an idiot, but that he's not malicious and is a decent enough guy. The ex picks up the kids from my house every day and takes them to school, so they are going to interact regardless if they want to or not. So far, so good on that front!
    Sparkling72

"Strength in Us!"

"exclusive" since May 13, 2016
    ** Shortened the distance!! December 2016 **
    closing the distance in ~ Oct. 2018

Originally posted by Sparkling72 View Post
    The boyfriend arrived last Tuesday and I have to say that this visit is the first time that he's getting that taste of "real life" in my house. I can't keep taking vacation while he's here anymore since we have December plans. Can't keep eating out all the time, every night isn't date night, honeymoon is (sort-of) over... there's the cleaning, laundry, cooking meals... kids, homework, packing lunches, getting everyone showered and ready for bed... I did work from home 2 days last week. He took me to work today. He is working on his MBA, so he has his homework to do as well.

Our visits have been mini-vacations pretty much until now and I was a bit concerned about him interrupting the established routine that the kids and I have. (my boys are 12 and 14, very accepting of him). To my delight, everything has been smooth and natural. I cook the meals, kids clear the table, and he does the dishes while I pack the kids lunches. He pretty much dove right in and I loved it. Kids have met him enough times now to where everyone is comfortable with each other - so he had no issue hollering at them when necessary... by hollering I don't mean yelling... I mean that when the kids would wander off (like kids do) before they finished their chores, he would holler their name and ask them to come back down stairs and finish their chores. Ya know, like any of us would do when kids are distracted by texts and video games. I'm so glad he's also a dad of 3 (and a good dad I will say).

So, he did meet the ex-husband on his October visit, but it was awkward to say the least. This visit they actually had a bit more interaction and I think he doesn't hate the ex as much as he used to. Granted, my complaining about the ex added to the disdain and he knows the ex is an idiot, but that he's not malicious and is a decent enough guy. The ex picks up the kids from my house every day and takes them to school, so they are going to interact regardless if they want to or not. So far, so good on that front!
    Awww...that's good. My current husband and former husband were also thrown together because of the kids and the ex picking them up for school and dropping them off....plus we have a 26 yr old daughter who does thanksgiving with the entire family at her house. It is so much more pleasant when they get along, isn't it? My husband also fit right in when he started coming to the house, and also had no problem telling the kids what to do, which I was happy about (they were 11 and 14 at the time). Enjoy the rest of your visit.
    sigpic

I love him. Forever. And every day after that.

Comment

Working...
    X