Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Travelling alone to meet my LDR boyfriend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travelling alone to meet my LDR boyfriend?

Hi there.
    I have a bit of a problem here. So basically I go to the same holiday resort in Turkey every year and I met the most amazing guy over there. He owns a restaurant, hotel and property there, so I know he isn't after me for my money. Anyway, we spoke everyday after I left and we never got together until after I left. So basically, he wants me to go over there for a week in February. The resort airport shuts down in the winter so I'd have to fly into another airport then drive four hours from there to the resort. He's already offered to pick me up at the airport and drop me back off. He has apartments out there so there'd be free accomodation. He's offered to pay for everything once I'm there. He is so sweet.
    I've never travelled alone before and that's really scary. I really want to go. If I listen to my heart then I want to go but if I listen to my head I'm terrified. Should I go out and see him on my own or wait till June when I go with my mum? I know that I love him so I shouldn't worry but I do. I also don't know how I'd talk to my mum about travelling alone or my reasons for it.
    Please help!

Originally posted by Shann View Post
    Hi there.
    I have a bit of a problem here. So basically I go to the same holiday resort in Turkey every year and I met the most amazing guy over there. He owns a restaurant, hotel and property there, so I know he isn't after me for my money. Anyway, we spoke everyday after I left and we never got together until after I left. So basically, he wants me to go over there for a week in February. The resort airport shuts down in the winter so I'd have to fly into another airport then drive four hours from there to the resort. He's already offered to pick me up at the airport and drop me back off. He has apartments out there so there'd be free accomodation. He's offered to pay for everything once I'm there. He is so sweet.
    I've never travelled alone before and that's really scary. I really want to go. If I listen to my heart then I want to go but if I listen to my head I'm terrified. Should I go out and see him on my own or wait till June when I go with my mum? I know that I love him so I shouldn't worry but I do. I also don't know how I'd talk to my mum about travelling alone or my reasons for it.
    Please help!
    IMHO, if you aren't able to have an adult conversation with your mother about it, you're probably not ready to do the travelling all by yourself. You'd be going to a different country to be with someone you don't know all that well and that you haven't told your parents about (or the entire story). If you want to do adult things, then you need to behave as an adult would. Having the conversation with your mom would be a good start.
    To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

Hi Congrats on your relationship

If you want tips on how to fly in Turkey at winter time, I might be able to help you. I know the Istanbul airports at least.

When it comes to travelling by yourself, the most important thing is that you bring enough cash or visa /credit card to last you your visit. It is sweet that he has offered to pay for you, but you need to think a little worst case scenario style, especially when you are not an experienced traveler. Check out hotels and travel options near the airport you will be landing at - and hotel options at the place you will stay, in case things do not work out between you. I did this the first time I visited SO. My plan B, if he did not show, was to find myself an airport hotel/finer hotel (if that existed) for the night and then find a cheaper hotel for the rest of my days there. Likewise, if things did not turn out well with his mates. Luckily, I did not have to make use of this plan, but it made travelling feel safer for me knowing that I could take care of myself anyhow. Make sure to withdraw at least a certain ammount of Turkish lira (I like to to that before I fly, because I know I will be tired when I arrive) - as you may know, Turks prefer cash - and bring some extra food for the travel to keep your energy.

I assume that you live with your mum and that she might be a little sceptical about you travelling alone, although you are a legal adult. The good thing is that she knows the place - and for sure it is not party heaven in winter. Can you work it out with her so that you are in touch while you travel and when you get there? Will you meet his friends and family while you stay there? Perhaps she can see you on Skype and see for herself that you are in fact enjoying yourself and get to know the guy, if she does not know who that is already. Or you can send her pics so she knows you are on your way. This could be a good idea even if you lived with a friend.
      Last edited by differentcountries; December 2, 2016, 11:58 AM.
      I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
      - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

If he is willing to pay for everything... then perhaps he can come visit you first and meet your mother. I realize at 18 you're considered an adult, but if you were my child, I wouldn't let you go either. How old is he? I would imagine he must be a bit older if he owns the property you say he does. I know what you must be thinking and feeling about all of this, I was 18 once and I remember exactly how I thought and felt about boys/men/guys.... We want to believe in them, but the truth is that the older guys get, the better they are at persuasion. As moms, we know this and we don't want to see our children hurt. I am in no way saying your man is like this, I'm just saying that as a mom, that is what I think first. A true gentleman understands how moms are, and knows that if he can win over the mother, he wins period!
        Sparkling72

"Strength in Us!"

"exclusive" since May 13, 2016
        ** Shortened the distance!! December 2016 **
        closing the distance in ~ Oct. 2018

Comment

Working...
        X