How to visit SO for a long time with a job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to visit SO for a long time with a job

I live in the UK and my SO lives in the US so visiting him for 3 months would most likely require me to leave my job as I wont be allowed this time off. I am reluctant to do this anyway as it would require changing jobs fairly frequently. I'm also aware that when going through customs the CBP officers prefer you to have evidence of going back to a job.

I was just wondering how people manage this with their SO's? Do you leave your job every time or are there other ways around visiting for a long period of time without this?

I've always wondered this when i've seen posts about people having super long visits like that. I'm a college student just now so I can only visit my SO within holiday times so i'm using the whole of my Easter holidays to visit her this year and will have to do the same when i'm in uni next year. Obviously I wouldn't suggest leaving your job to go visit but you surely can take at least 3 weeks off or something to go visit right? it may not be as long as you want but at least you get to see each other.
    my girls <3

Josie (SO)
    Met online ~ 17th August 2017 ~
    Met in person ~ 30th August 2017 ~
    Became official ~ 15th September 2017 ~
    Closed the distance and moved in together! ~ 18th June 2018 ~

Ash
    Met online ~ 21st November 2018 ~
    Met in person ~ 26th November 2018 ~
    Became official ~ 4th December 2018 ~
    All moved in together! ~ 30th May 2019 ~

Comment

I think that the people who manage that are the ones who have the same schedule as school holidays.
      Including both young people studying in college and adults who are either teachers or lecturers or something of that sort.
      Most people still don't get super long visits like that and work with a couple of weeks long ones.

Comment

I've wondered how people have these visits that lasts for months. I wouldn't quit my job if it was just for a visit with no intention of becoming more permanent move. I know the job market in UK is good and the unemployment rate is low. So if you think changing jobs every 3 months is possible and managable to you then why not.

In here if you get a job you hold onto it since its impossible to find a new one! We have only have long weekends or week long visits. He did come here for 2.5 months once when he was doing short term contract work and his contact ended. So no we dont quit jobs between every visit nor visit for longer times. Maybe once it becomes possible for my work to be done from home (I need a phone and a laptop. I don't understand how it is not allowed yet in the company) then I could do longer visits.

Comment

I was only able to visit my last SO for an extended period of time (about 2 months) because the contract I was on had ended and I was in between jobs. It is not common at all for working adults to take long trips like that unless they have seasonal work or teach. Most people do one- or two-week visits throughout the year.
          Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
          Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
          Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

Working...
          X