How to convince my dad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to convince my dad?

I have been in a LDR for about a year now (he is 20), and I met my SO for the first time in October. My parents would at first not let him come, but after talking to my mum she agreed with him coming if he stayed at a hotel. Because my dad was a work this week he did not know my mum had said this until he came back home after my boyfriend had went back home. My dad was not very happy with this, saying I was too young to have a boyfriend and what so ever.
    We had a big argument in the family after this, and I havent seen my SO ever since (6 months ago).
    Now I want him to come over again in two weeks, as it is my 17th birthday then. My mum is fine with this as she has met him and really like him. My dad on the other hand has said its unacceptable for him to come visit before im 18, which will be in a year.
    I`ve tried everything, but my dad wont listen regardless. Me and my boyfriend wont even share rooms, and we have a lot of activities planned for the week he would be over.
    Does anyone have any advice on how to make my dad agree with my SO coming over, and what to do? I feel like he wont listen regardless, and my mum has tried as much as she could...

Have you asked your father to compromise with you by chaperoning some of these events? Having him come over and being a part of it?

Follow our story on Tumblr~

Comment

I do not know how you could convince him. I probably, as a mother, would also not allow this until my child was 18. However you asked for advice and I agree with the notion of chaperoning. Don't feel bad, even as adults our parents are often very unhelpful and critical of this type of relationship. My bff's mother apparently hates me even though she has never made any attempt to get to know me at all. I have been friends with him for 5 1/2 years and since we meet online, she thinks I am not real or some such nonsense. We have plans to meet this December and she is throwing a huge fit and her son is a man so.
      I reach out for you and for a moment...I can almost touch you.

Comment

Do your best to let they meet.. I had to meet secretly my girlfriend (from Italy to Brazil, imagine the difficults..).
        Then she said to him that we love each other. First he didn't believe in our kind of relations, then he met me.. Now he loves me. My secret? Be myself, be a simple person, don't be afraid to tell him my feelings for his doughter.

In our relation I'm 33 and she's 17, everybody know my age a part the father, and as I look so younger, they said to him that I'm 23!

Comment

I am currently 17 and I don't even know how to tell my parents that my SO will be coming over in August - Probably will only say that he's a Japanese friend of mine who casually decided to travel to Slovakia, so I suggested him spending time with me, rather than someone else.
          I suppose you should try to get your dad involved. If he is worried, he might just want to see you two while being together. Maybe go for a trip - The whole family?

Comment

Working...
          X