Change of Plans, Advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change of Plans, Advice?

Me and my boyfriend had been hoping to meet up over spring break for the first time, with him coming to where I'm at.

Well, some things have happened, and he can no longer afford to book hotels or a flight in advance, nor will spring break be open for him.
    At first I was really bummed out about this because for both of us, we wanted something to hold on to for the future. But then I got to thinking about it and realized there were other opportunities available to me now.

The first is that I can now study abroad over spring break, something I'd hoped to do at least once throughout my college career. And second, while he can't fly to see me, I can drive to see him.

Don't get me wrong, I would prefer to fly to see him. 13 hours is a very long drive. But he doesn't have a car, and we're not old enough to rent a vehicle when I get there, and otherwise we'd be paying around $30 every single time we want a ride somewhere with Uber. And I don't want to wait even longer to see him- by next summer it will already almost be a year without meeting him in person. So it seemed financially the best option for me to drive to him with my own vehicle. And honestly I think the experience would be really good for me so I can get used to traveling on my own, even at 20 years old. It doesn't scare me, the thought of driving to his state in a single day with music playing the whole time. I enjoy driving and my car hasn't had a single problem in the 7000 miles I've already driven it.

My mom has been a little less than enthusiastic about it though. And I know she's just being a mom, and she's told me if it gets to that point, she won't stop me from making the drive. And my grandparents have even said they'll chip in for gas money if I need it. But she's been asking me if I'd like to be buried or cremated (jokingly, but in context it kind of hurt), keeps insisting it's not a good idea for me to travel alone especially as a girl, and has even said she thinks it strange that he would let me make that drive to see him if he really cared about me- which seems to me quite assumptive given we both really want to see each other and I offered to drive in the first place. I don't see why him not forcing me to stay home is a bad thing? He's not overprotective and he doesn't even seem to think the drive is that unsafe, and I feel the same way. We both think I'll get there just fine. And I'm the partner with the most resources to do traveling right now- he doesn't. So even if I'm a girl I don't think it fair to assume he doesn't care, it's just the way the situation is right now.

I don't know if anyone has any advice or their own opinion on this. Would you think it a terrible idea for me to make that drive? We'll have been together 11 months by then, and I'll almost be 21 (August). I've done a lot of driving the past two years, usually around an hour each day or several days a week. I feel like I'm capable of handling myself just fine to get to where he's at, and it's pretty much a straight shot on two interstate highways.

There’s a few members here who drive to their SO’s, I know Kitty09 has driven a fair distance before.

Comment

Working...
    X