What to do with 2 weeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do with 2 weeks

I've just been granted Disability Allowance, but it comes with restrictions on time I can be out of the state. It seems that I can only be away for 2 weeks in one calendar year. My SO is in Arizona, and I am in Ireland, so to get from mine to his will take a full 24 hours (although the last 3 we will be together driving back to his ).
    So I am now in the awkward scenario of trying to work out how to best use my holiday time. I had thought of going over for 2 whole weeks at a time, but as he isn't currently in a position to travel over to me, I don't think 2 full weeks would be that great. I'm wondering about splitting it into 2 seperate single week visits instead, cos then at least we will be able to see each other twice a year, instead of once. I had even thought about breaking it down further still, but once you take out one day on either side just travelling, there's not much time left to recover and enjoy being together.
    I also have wondered when would be the best time to go there. I'm adamant that this will be the only Christmas we will ever spend apart, so that will put a week in December. I think the second week should be about 6 months from then, so as to break the year up as evenly as possible. It will be more expensive to fly then, it will be hotter there, and I'm not good with heat.

What are other's thoughts or suggestions on this predicament?

Ultimately it’s up to you and what you feels suits your needs best. I’d personally find a week is too short esp with 2 days taken out for travelling and might not give you much time to go explore things. But that’s just me, each person would have their own take on this.
    Could he Fly to you?

Comment

No, unfortunately not. He's stuck there for the foreseeable. It would be easier if he wasn't. I'd like to go over and stay, then fly with him back to mine. But his situation won't allow it at present. It sucks.

Comment

I was going to say if it was a money thing. You could pay for his flight over then you fly back with him and use your 2 weeks from then. That way you’d get an extended time together.

Comment

I've done a 19 hour visit. Sometimes when the time is short you make the most of it.

Can you swing 2 trips?

Does your 2 week allowance take into account Weekends? If you had a Weekend on either side of your week Vacation that adds 48 hours on each visit if you split it into 2 trips.

(2 weeks straight is 14 days with 3 weekends and 288 hours of visit, 2 separate weeks is 18 days with 4 weekends for 336 hours of visit)

Comment

Originally posted by 2Rocky View Post
            I've done a 19 hour visit. Sometimes when the time is short you make the most of it.

Can you swing 2 trips?

Does your 2 week allowance take into account Weekends? If you had a Weekend on either side of your week Vacation that adds 48 hours on each visit if you split it into 2 trips.

(2 weeks straight is 14 days with 3 weekends and 288 hours of visit, 2 separate weeks is 18 days with 4 weekends for 336 hours of visit)
            I did ask if I can split it up, and it sounds like I can. I don't know whether it includes weekends or not, that is an interesting question. I wouldn't have thought of that.
            I will confess to being baffled by your calculations though. Do you mean go for a week, come back, then go back out again within a weekend?

Comment

If you're not good with the heat, don't come in the summer, honestly. If you want to make the most of a short time, you don't want to be completely worn out by the heat, sweating profusely and getting heat exhaustion or (god forbid) heat stroke. The really unbearable heat is late May - September/mid October (ish) so maybe right before or right after then (it will probably still be warmer than what you're used to, though).
              So, here you are
              too foreign for home
              too foreign for here.
              Never enough for both.

Ijeoma Umebinyuo, Diaspora Blues

Comment

I would personally choose to split it into two separate weeks, because it would break up the year for me. I've done week long visits with my SO many times now and I feel like it's a good amount of time, although any amount of time always feels too short, especially with so many months in between. :P A week is enough time to settle in and maybe take a short trip somewhere (to see family or friends, museums, whatever), but still have time to just spend with one another. It does feel a little shorter if your SO has to work while you're visiting, but it's also a bit of a taste of real life.

You should definitely find out if weekends are included in the "two weeks" you're permitted to be away, since weekends aren't days you would be expected to work. When my SO was on employment insurance, he was expected to be in the province on all working days, but was able to take a trip to see me on a long weekend because the weekend and the Monday holiday didn't count as working days. Different country, obviously, but the extra few days you can get it you're able to discount weekends and holidays can make a big difference!
                Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
                Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
                Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantic Crossroads View Post
                  I did ask if I can split it up, and it sounds like I can. I don't know whether it includes weekends or not, that is an interesting question. I wouldn't have thought of that.
                  I will confess to being baffled by your calculations though. Do you mean go for a week, come back, then go back out again within a weekend?
                  No I meant visit twice. Split it a few weeks months apart.

2 weeks of Vacation time is what I'm allotted. Based on a 5 day work week. If I take 2 separate weeks, i leave Friday night after work Dec 7th, and I have to be back to Work on Dec 17. I get the benefit of having the weekend to travel.

Comment

Well I spoke to a woman who actually works at the benefits office today, and she confirmed what I'd already managed to find out, which is good. I should be able to get three weeks away, and I can break it up. Now I just have to work out when to go.
                    Last edited by Atlantic Crossroads; December 17, 2018, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Of course it's too late now, but two weeks in a calendar year means you could go Dec 24-31 and Jan 1-7. Those are separate years.
                      sigpic

I love him. Forever. And every day after that.

Comment

Working...
                      X