He doesn't want to spend time together after 11 months apart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He doesn't want to spend time together after 11 months apart

I'll be heading to Tokyo in a couple of weeks (as long as my visa comes through fine) to study as an exchange student for 5 months, which has been my dream since middle school. My bf also lives in Tokyo, about an hour train ride from my school, so we'll probably mostly be visiting on the weekends while I'm there, though I'll be staying with him my first week. I get in on a Saturday evening and start orientation at my school on Monday morning, so we sort of had a loose plan (I thought) to spend Sunday together just going somewhere and being together. It will have been 11 months since the last time we met (a week last April). But he asked if he could go play board games with his group that Sunday, since they're meeting in his town I guess. Andit's like an all-day thing. I said it was fine, becasue I feel like if I don't I'll feel guilty and like a selfish overprotective girlfriend. But I also feel kind of sad and confused. We didn't have a hard-and-fast plan, but idk why he doesn't want to spend a day together after not seeing each other for 11 months. Is that normal?? Am I overreacting?? I probably won't make a big deal about it because if he feels guilty and spends the day with me instead then I feel like it won't be fun. I know it's not the biggest deal but I just feel sad he doesn't want to spend time with me after so long apart. And most of the time I feel like it wouldn't really matter if we were together or not -- he never seems really sad that we aren't together and can't celebrate Christmas/birthdays/anniversary together.

Sorry this is kind of a rant, idk I just feel really disappointed somehow.

Edit: I should mention this will be my third time in Tokyo, so it's not like he'll be leaving me on my own in an unfamiliar city in a foreign country lol, then I'd be a lot more mad haha
    Last edited by Chifuyu4; March 5, 2019, 12:08 AM. Reason: additonal information
    Chifuyu

Just wanna make sure i'm getting the details right here. So you're gonna be there for 5 months, guaranteed you're not gonna be able to see him 24/7, but still you'll be close enough for him to see. These friends he wants to have a games night with are all just in town to each other anyway? My opinion is yeah you're allowed to feel a bit disappointed and upset, but in the main scheme of things, its just one day and he's getting to see you on Saturday night, right? Personally i wouldn't feel too bad about it because i know my SO is a huge nerd and although she loves spending time with me, getting group game meet ups are a pain to plan and only happen once every so often, so i'd want her to go to that.
    my girls <3

Josie (SO)
    Met online ~ 17th August 2017 ~
    Met in person ~ 30th August 2017 ~
    Became official ~ 15th September 2017 ~
    Closed the distance and moved in together! ~ 18th June 2018 ~

Ash
    Met online ~ 21st November 2018 ~
    Met in person ~ 26th November 2018 ~
    Became official ~ 4th December 2018 ~
    All moved in together! ~ 30th May 2019 ~

Comment

Without more information about how your routine looks like while you were apart, it is hard to tell whether it is normal.
      I think you can have two kind of people, people who the longer they are apart crave more and more for spending time together.
      But you also have the people who after some time get used to being on their own, that it is hard to adapt again to taking someone else into account.
      If has has had 11 months of planning his own daily life, he may need some time to count you in again.

Don't worry, everything will work out. It's possible he will 'regret' going to the game night after seeing you again.
      He will remember all the things he has missed by not spending time with you.
      And if you really have 5 months together, there will be plenty of time to do all the things you want to do. Make the most out of it!

But I understand it feels bad not being able to spend all of your time together as soon as you finally meet again.

Comment

He wants to share you with his friends. Because he wants to show you off. Embrace it.
        sigpic

I love him. Forever. And every day after that.

Comment

Working...
        X