I'm 18, but parents won't let me go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm 18, but parents won't let me go

So i just got back from 2 wonderful weeks of meeting my LD boyfriend for the first time. He lives in Texas while I live in California. As summer is beginning to end and school is starting up again, we both would love to see each other once more. If i do go it would be 3 week gap since we hadn't seen each other, the problem is my mother does nt think that is a good idea at all. How can I convince to see him again, without having a bad relationship with my parents?
    They saw that it is too soon to see him since we just got home and if i do go against them and go then they will not let me go and see him again till Christmas. Even when his birthday is in November, I will not be able to go, even for thanksgiving, we won't be able to be together. Im 18 and I will be the one paying for the plane tickets to go see him. I don't understand why they are giving me such a restriction to go and see him. It is like a crime to them. Please give me your opinion, because I don't know if I should go and make them mad or stay and just give them what they want.

I don't think it will be a bad idea to sit down and have a deep, civil conversation about it, meaning that you explain your side in detail and they explain theirs.
    Sometimes, it's really hard to understand what goes through a parent's mind. Most parents make these strict decisions out of love, even if it might not BE the best decision, and your parents might have a very legit reason for their restriction even if no one can really understand it at first.

Perhaps they don't want the "post visit blues" to get your down when school starts. Maybe they're afraid that you'll leave the nest too early, and these are the first signs? It's really hard to say, and I understand your frustration. I would be annoyed too!! But you're 18, a legal adult, and it's time you take that first step into speaking to your parents as equals in order to make your life your own.

Comment

Working...
    X