Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally meeting after three years

Hello,

I'm brand new to this site. I've been in a LDR for three years and we will finally meet September 14, 2011. He lives in the UK, and I'm in the US. I'm so excited. I will be going to meet him there. I just wanted to share it with someone who would understand. I'm also a bit scared. We talk everyday, and see each other on Skype all the time, but I know being "in the flesh" is going to be different. I imagine it will be like getting to know one another all over again in a different way. If you have a moment, please share your experience. For those of you that began a relationship before meeting, what was your first encounter like? Did it meet your expectation? Did it take some getting used to? What about ...ehem... sex? Awkward? Easy?

I'm glad I found this site! I'll try to check in as the final day approaches.

Sincerely,
    Marcy

My SO is English too.

We met for the first time last year after talking for about 2 years online. At the time, he was married and we were just friends, so I spent time with him and his wife. It was a bit awkward at first, and a little odd. Not in a bad way, but almost a bit like a dream: that's my friend, in front of me, right there, saying words!

This year, after he and his wife decided to split up, I decided to visit him as a supportive friend. Within an hour we were making out on his couch. *grin*

It's natural to be nervous, but if you talked for such a long time, and if you've skyped, it'll be like seeing a long-lost friend, it really will be. It might be awkward for a few minutes, but as soon as you get over it, you'll be on your way.

Judging from posts here, a high percentage of people end up having sex on the first visit. It's strange how comfortable you can feel with someone you've never met before. Don't feel you have to rush into sex if you're not ready for it, but at the same time, don't feel like you are rushing if you do have sex. It's not like having sex on the first date: you already know this person, very well in fact.

It's thrilling and heady, and a bit surreal, meeting for the first time. But you should be fine after the initial shock of realizing your love is standing right in front of you.

Good luck.

Comment

We met about a year into the relationship. He was exactly like I knew him, except more 3D. That first moment when you step into each others arms for the first hug, that's a moment you'll remember forever. Conversation and being with each other came easy, we spent 3 weeks together and it felt so natural. He introduced me to all his family and they all enjoyed the time we spent together. There was no sex.

I hope you have a great first visit! (:

Comment

Hi, welcome to the forums.

I'm in the same boat as you! I'm traveling from the U.K on September 20th to meet my better half in Canada for the first time. We've known each other just over 3 years,So i know exactly how your feeling at the moment. I really hope your meeting goes brilliantly.

Not really any advice but atleast you know theres someone about to go through the same experience.
        As long as there is air in my lungs... there is a chance

Comment

Welcome to LFAD

I haven't had the pleasure/honour of meeting my SO yet. He lives in Arizona. I look forward to meeting him soon hopefully

Comment

Gratz for making it so far without seeing each other. Three years it's quite long and proves truth about your feelings.

Welcome to the forum

Comment

Welcome!
              I wish you the best on your first meeting! I've known my SO for almost 4 years, and we've been an official for 5 months now, but we have not met in person yet, so I know the feeling. We're hoping to meet in June for his birthday, so I'm excited/nervous about that lol so I know how you feel.
              You never forget your first love...

Comment

Working...
              X