Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Might not be closing the distance now...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Might not be closing the distance now...

Well I need some good vibes right now. Posted a few days ago about my SO getting a job offer and accepting it to close the distance between us.

Apparently the verbal offer my SO accepted was wrong. They quoted him too high of a pay by more than a couple dollars. HR said that they can file paperwork to see if he can get the higher pay that he was promised...The issue is the lower pay is about what he makes now and he would be living in a more expensive area. If they offer him the lower amount of pay he might not take the job. He already quit his job (they said they will take him back though no issue), filled out all the job paperwork and did the physical, put a payment on the apartment, all with the idea he was getting the higher pay. He also made the apartment decision quick because they want him by December 10th.

We thought everything was set in stone on Friday and just found all of this out today. I just feel so hopeless right now :/

I mean, what are the chances he will even get the higher pay (that pay was for a 4 year degree, not 2)? The HR lady seemed hopeful but I don't know. Can they even legally change the pay to the lower amount since he accepted the job thinking he was getting more money?

We won't hear back from HR until Monday at the latest...
    Last edited by rixue; November 19, 2012, 09:17 PM.

It isn't legally binding if it was a verbal quote. Does your SO have a copy of the contract? Also do you know what the difference is between the quoted pay rate and his current pay rate?

And you should discuss with your SO if it's worth it for him to move there, even if it will be more expensive. Closing the distance requires sacrifices after all, but would having your dual income be more beneficial in the long run? Your SO could always try to get a better job in a year or two.

Comment

He never got a written copy of the contract, they offered it verbally then made an appointment to come in and sign papers to get the hiring process started. His pay only came into question when HR was writing out how much he gets paid for the apartment complex to approve him.

Well right now he gets paid ~$1700 a month and he was offered $2200 originally.

We don't have dual income at the moment. I am still going to college and living with my parents, don't currently have a job at the moment. He doesn't want me getting a job and to have me focus on finishing school.

He said he might take the job anyway even if it is lower pay since the pay isn't going to get any better around here for his job (he works at a hospital). He would just have to find a different place to live.

Comment

That sounds aweful. What kind of company is that that lure you in and all of a sudden want to pay less?!
        But since he doesn't have his his job anymore I hope you guys can still close the distance and that he can find a cheaper place to stay.
        Don't give up on hope yet *hugs*

Comment

That is just rotten! I hope they "man up" and realize it was their mistake and remedy it by giving him the quoted pay, or at least compromise somewhere in the middle. I am so sorry!

Comment

I don't know about how it is in other countries, but here, a verbal agreement actually is as binding as one on paper. If they promised him a pay that high and they agreed on it, it is binding. However, the thing is that it's a LOT harder to prove what was being said, and you'll have a case of word-against-word in that case. That being said, I really, really hope for you guys that it all sorts out! I really think it's awful of the company to tell you one thing and then change it, even if it was a mistake... Good luck!

Met online: February 2011
            Met the first time: August 16, 2011

Comment

the good thing is that it was caught by hr, and not a supervisor. hr has more pull in situations like this. he should see if they the hospital offers tuition reimbursement and think about going back to finish the 4 year degree. If he talks to them about that, they may be more inclined to give him the higher quoted income (since they quoted him for the 4 yr degree). If he goes to school while working, and they are paying for it, its a win win. The 4 year degree would give him more leverage when he finishes in moving up.
              everything happens for a reason. We may never find out what that reason is/was, but there is a reason.

Comment

Sorry you and your SO are having to deal with this crappy situation, and over a holiday too! Waiting to hear back from decision-makers is the worst. I know you said your SO wants you to focus on finishing school, but have you considered otherwise? Realistically of course... only you know how much you are able to do, and I have no idea what your courseload/study requirements are like, but as an example to make up the $500 monthly difference in between what was quoted him and what he *may* end up getting instead, considering a typical pay of what a standard job would pay someone in college (assuming $8/hr), that would only be a little more than 15 hours a week. Of course if that would interfere with any studying it wouldn't be a great idea.

Comment

Originally posted by subeasley View Post
                  the good thing is that it was caught by hr, and not a supervisor. hr has more pull in situations like this. he should see if they the hospital offers tuition reimbursement and think about going back to finish the 4 year degree. If he talks to them about that, they may be more inclined to give him the higher quoted income (since they quoted him for the 4 yr degree). If he goes to school while working, and they are paying for it, its a win win. The 4 year degree would give him more leverage when he finishes in moving up.
                  ^this

and HR definitely has more leverage and thus raises the chance of him getting the initial promised pay, but written paperwork would be the key here, he should have requested to see that verbal agreement in writing, no matter what though good luck to both of you

Comment

UPDATE

Well Monday has passed and we have not heard anything from Human Resources about the requested pay change. My SO called yesterday and they said their CFO has not been able to look at the request yet. Apparently they are going to escalate the request to the CEO and have him deal with the situation. They said he would hear from them Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest to let him know what is going on. He tried calling them today and they did not return his call, so he is frustrated about that.

My SO is afraid that they are not going to give him the job since it is taking so long for them to decide what to do on the pay. From my understanding he still has the job since he has not been notified otherwise (is it safe to assume that?). They want him to start the 10th, know he is moving from another state, so I would think if they wanted to retract the offer they already would...

His boss at his current job told him to give her a final decision tonight on what he was deciding to do with the job offer. He told her he is going to be taking the job, no matter what the pay ends up being. He has not slept well in days due to everything being up in the air and has been very stressed. I am hoping we hear something from HR tomorrow. As of right now it looks like we will be closing the distance in 10 days.

Comment

That's rough! Best of luck! Sending good vibes!

Comment

Awwwh it sucks that they take so long to work this all out, if it's their fault they should deal with it sooner! Anyway, even though it's great that you'll probably still be closing the distance so very soon, the way it's going must give you a bit of a double feeling. I'll keep my fingers crossed that everything goes smoothly from now on because you deserve that!

Comment

QUICK UPDATE

My SO finally got his phone call today! They ended up compensating in the middle, he will be getting paid very close to the original offer. Of course he accepted it! I am so glad his mind will be at ease now. And now I can say it....

FOR SURE CLOSING THE DISTANCE! I need to change my signature...

Comment

Yay!! Congrats!!
                            First met online: June, 2010
                            First met in person: August, 2011 (See the story of our first visit)
                            Second visit: December, 2011 (Christmas and New Years together!)
                            Third visit together: August, 2012
                            Fourth visit: December 2012 (Christmas and New Years together!)
                            Fifth visit: July 2013 (2 weeks here in Canada)
                            Sixth visit: December 2013 (Christmas and New Years together again and I finally met his mother!)
                            Next visit: Unknown... for now but coming up ASAP

Comment

Working...
                            X