LDR Movie collection list/database in excel spreadsheet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LDR Movie collection list/database in excel spreadsheet

Okay, so I know that this probably isn't new, and you probably all have to-watch lists with movies you want to watch, but this thing me and my SO started is a lot more extensive and a lot of fun, but it can also be quite intimidating xD It's a list/database of every movie we own or want to own, and it's really making it much easier both for me to restore my old movie collection which I recently lost in a hard-drive crash and to avoid doubles when we eventually combine our movie collections when we close the distance in the future.

We used to keep a normal to-watch list on Springpad, but since they shut down their service we had been casually looking for a replacement to host these lists of movies we want to watch, and we actually ended up simply making an Excel spreadsheet that resides in out shared dropbox folder so we can both open and edit it.

And actually, I think the spreadsheet solution is way better than any web service, because we can have only the features we need and not have features we don't. And Excel has really powerful features for formatting cells based on content and ways to provide a drop-down list by cells that you can use to ender values instead of typing everything manually as well as sorting rows based on the values in the cells, so it's really simple to enter and modify the data, which currently include entries such as individual watched statuses, whether any of us owns it on dvd, whether it's downloaded to my hard drive or not (I prefer to download movies I watch while she mostly streams them), release date and a special sorting title for correct sorting of movies in series etc.

We currently have over 400 movies in the list, and it's growing all the time. I keep wondering how long it will take to get and watch every one of these movies...

So if you have large collections of movies that you will need to keep track of, or want an easy way to list movies that you want to watch, or for any other purpouse, give Excel a chance!

This is a screenshot of a small part of our list and how we have set it up. (The "H" column is usually hidden to hide the sorting title for a neater appearance.)
Working...
X