Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New guy

Hello all!

I'd like to take a minute just sit right there, and I'll tell you how I became the prince of a town called Bel-Air. I'm only kidding, but humor always makes introductions easier.

So, my name is Rob, and I am an Army Veteran. I Served 6 years active duty in the Signal Corps. I met my SO while stationed at Fort Campbell. Things went great, we fell in love and we ended up moving in with each other. We will have been together coming up on three years in February. I finished my enlistment in December of last year and have since become a civilian contractor in the same line of work I did in the Military.

This year started off a bit rough for us as I took a job that, while I was able to stay located in Kentucky, required me to travel to other military bases around the US quite often. It was rough, but I don't think either of us really considered it a LDR because I was usually gone for no more than a month at a time. Things were going okay, but not great, until I got laid off not 6 months after I started this new job. I've never really been good with money in the first place so we were already a bit behind BEFORE I got laid off. Losing my job just made things worse and added to the accumulating pile of stress that already existed.

Worried about money and numerous other things, I decided to take a contracting job in Afghanistan. The pay was good, but the situation sucked. The way I look at it is it's a temporary sacrifice for our long term goals. We both agreed to this and after much deliberation, I left home to secure our future. So here I am, sitting in a combat zone as I type this. It's not as bad over here as you think, it's actually pretty chill, but keeping that connection with your SO is where it gets difficult. I got lucky enough that my work schedule here lines up with me being able to call home and chat/text with her daily. While this is great, and we are able to communicate regularly, it does tend to get a bit bland after awhile.

This is the point we had reached when I found your website. I was looking for fun activites for us to do as a couple, from a distance. I have to say your list of 100 things for LD couples to do has been quite helpful. (That hoochymail has been a personal favorite. I can't tell you how many laughs we've gotten out of that.) That being said, I decided to pop over to the forums just to browse a little bit and see what type of community exists around this website.

Here is where I noticed a few things that could stand to improve. It seems like every thread I read is about a girl who's man went off and joined the military, or those that were already together and now he's deployed. What I didn't see was anything the other way around. Where are the soldiers looking for ways to keep things exciting with their spouses back home? How can another soldier expect to get advice from someone that shares their perspective? Maybe I'm wrong, and I would like to think I am, and there are at least a few other active users who are on the other end of the military LDR. If not, I will gladly offer my services to not only other soldiers/contractors/vets, but also for any of you military spouses or SOs (whichever you prefer) that would like a little insight on what it's like to be on the other side.

Welcome! And yes, your observation is correct. There are very few military relationships on here, and I honestly can't recall the last time I saw the actual military person on here. It is mostly milsos.

But I do hope you stay around and change that. It would definitely be a breath of fresh air to get the other side of the situation, in hopes that more to follow.

Met online: 04.19.14
    Became a couple: 04.23.14
    First Visit: 08.09.14-08.15.14
    Second Visit: 12.17.14-12.28.14
    Third Visit: 02.13.15-02.15.15
    Fourth Visit: 04.03.15-04.06.15
    CLOSED THE DISTANCE/GOT MARRIED: 06.22.15/06.27.15

Comment

Well, I've added the forums here to the list of other forums I check on a semi-regular basis. If anyone has any questions for me, feel free to ask them here. I haven't ventured to the other parts of the forum just yet, but I'm sure I will probably lurk in the shadows just reading for a bit before I actually post elsewhere.

Comment

Welcome to LFAD!

Comment

Hi, welcome to LFAD!

When I first read the thread's tittle, I thought the content was about a girl that had found a new guy
          Anyways, I hope you like it here. It's always good to have new members and even better when they contribute to the community.

Comment

In retrospect, I can see how that could be someone's first thought when just glancing at the thread title.

I would be lying if I said I didn't feel like the ugly duckling around here. I'll admint, my humor tends to be a bit vulgar and insensitive, but I will try to keep my comments at least PG-13.

Oh, and thanks for the warm welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by dglynn77 View Post
              Welcome to LFAD!
              I thought your signature was cute and it made me think of the first time I told my SO I loved her.

We both went to a 4th of July party at her friends house. I got a little too tipsy and couldn't drive so she was gonna drive us home. I told her I had no problem letting her drive my car (my little 2004 Mini Cooper S), but forgot to mention to her that it was a stick. I don't actually remember saying it, but appearantly while she was driving us home in 2nd gear, I began to ramble and it came out.

The next day I woke up to her making me breakfast and tending to my hangover, wondering why she wasn't pissed at me. I even started to get a little scared thinking she was trying to poison my food or something.

She ended up telling me what I said, and I just said, "Well I do love you, it's just appearant that drunk me was less worried about freaking you out than sober me."

Comment

Originally posted by Tenchi_My View Post
                I thought your signature was cute and it made me think of the first time I told my SO I loved her.

We both went to a 4th of July party at her friends house. I got a little too tipsy and couldn't drive so she was gonna drive us home. I told her I had no problem letting her drive my car (my little 2004 Mini Cooper S), but forgot to mention to her that it was a stick. I don't actually remember saying it, but appearantly while she was driving us home in 2nd gear, I began to ramble and it came out.

The next day I woke up to her making me breakfast and tending to my hangover, wondering why she wasn't pissed at me. I even started to get a little scared thinking she was trying to poison my food or something.

She ended up telling me what I said, and I just said, "Well I do love you, it's just appearant that drunk me was less worried about freaking you out than sober me."
                Awwww... That is sweet

Comment

welcome to the group! I truly wish there were more military personnel and/or males here to give perspective.. it would be such a wonderful contribution if you do stay and do the same.
                  Do not feel like the ugly duckling. You are a breath of fresh air!

Comment

Welcome

Comment

Welcome to the forums!

Married: June 9th, 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Tenchi_My View Post

This is a pretty cute story. If it makes you feel any better, my now husband was pretty hammered when he first blurted out "I Love You" to me - by phone. He was away on an internship and I thought he was joking, just hammered. But he repeated it the next day, sober. :-D

Sometimes a little social lubrication helps us say what we're too scared to put out there otherwise!

Comment

Working...
                        X