Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fun Organisation & Planning in Microsoft Office with your SO!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fun Organisation & Planning in Microsoft Office with your SO!

Hi y'all! I just felt like sharing this in the hopes it may come in handy if not for you and your SO, maybe just yourself! Johan and I were big fans of the shared lists and things on Springpad, until they shut down their service earlier this year. Although we searched, we couldn't find another app that would satisfy us both. The closest we could get was Evernote, and I really dislike it, I really do (the merge with Springpad probably doesn't really help... the merged stuff looks bad). What began as just a fun list to display our movie and tv show collections, has expanded into several useful documents for fun, organisation and planning, albeit a little ahead of us sometimes. We keep the documents saved in our Dropbox, and as long as we're not trying to edit at the same time or save it while the other has the document open, it's a wonderful alternative to Springpad or any list service, with many more customisation options to suit your needs. I think I'm almost a little addicted now to creating nice, easily-readable, presentable documents in these programs and it can really help with the clutter and confusion! xD So I just wanted to share some pictures with you of some of the documents we've created... Maybe they'll inspire you.

PowerPoint

A document full of categories for the different meals of the day, and yummy recipes to try!

Word

Goals towards our future house, mostly showcasing large furniture items and how we'd prioritise getting them.

Excel

Similar to the Movies/Shows list we have, a Book List showing the books (both singular and series) we own, partially own, or want to own.

Pros and Cons of living in each country (which, if ever we get it finished, I thought would be a good thing to show parents or other uncertain family members about the move... to help reassure them that I'm not just going over for love, but that we've thoroughly planned and thought it through with our research). Includes a list for comparing groceries, etc, too.

Deciding on what items we would bring with us in various moves. Johan wants to continue study and move into an apartment, and I hope to move in with him into a new place after he finishes his studies, which requires two moves on his part (the first where he'd only bring his essential items), and one on mine, but whilst his list has things like Leave (at his Dad's, and collect at a later date) mine has things like things to be packed in Suitcase, Shipping, or at a later date on visits, or selling, to give more cash towards the move instead.

Simple timeline with appointments and goals. Always ignored people when they harped onto me about goal setting, but suddenly, with the prospect of a moving-goal, and savings-goal necessary for such a time when that move is possible, makes things much more exciting! As is aiming to learn the language by a set time before I move. (Don't mind Johan's Goals. He has them. He just hasn't written them in xD)

And finally, what I'm most excited about at the moment is this Family Tree we started yesterday. After much fiddling on other websites, and in excel templates, I decided to create my own and it's really quite simple after a while, just requires a bit of patience! We both have such large families that it is so hard to keep track of everyone and we're constantly getting confused with people grandparents and aunts and uncles, so what better way then to help visualise who is who? Currently have at least another 30 names to add to the list, and I fear that this is going to get verryy long, although hopefully I can expand it downwards a little more to avoid that a bit! It has the persons name, DOB and DOD - and even current pets! Believe it or not, Facebook has helped with a number of the unknown birthdays of cousins and things (it's amazing how many people still have public profiles despite all the warnings -.- ). I think, once finished, it would be a really nice thing to have on a wall or something. At the moment I'm only going as far back as my grandparents and possibly great grandparents, as I don't know much more before then, but it's a nice little project to be working on with my SO, even if it is a tiny bit frustrating. Entirely made out of Excel, two different sized columns, lines and borders.

"My arms will be your prison" - My Boyfriend [♥] Our LDR Blog!

Started Talking - October 2012
    Started Dating - 08.11.12
    First Meeting - 08.12.13 - 39 days together
    Second Meeting - 16.12.15 - 31 days together

Rosetta Stone Progress
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
    22 / 60

Hey I know this was posted sometime ago but this is really interesting idea for a project to work on. I like it especially the pros/cons to moving thing. It is really nice for me to see things like this with fairly common apps that can be done as a couples project. Very nice idea thank you for sharing.

On a side note, I happened to notice your Rosetta Stone signature thing. I was wondering how it is working for you? I have been thinking of taking up language programs as well and I am not sure which.

Comment

Hi and welcome to the forum! We certainly continue to find these documents helpful! Have completed a full budget-goal for a move which includes rough estimates on moving items, flights, immediate furniture and household items, and an emergency fund should we need to return to the other country. It's so nice to have an actual figure in mind now.

I'd certainly recommend Rosetta Stone. I kind of flew through the first bit as I'd already learnt a few of the basic phrases and words they were teaching at the start, but was great to go over them again in different contexts and start putting them into sentences. I've neglected it much more than I should lately though and it's been at a stand still... haven't really used it since about Christmas as I've just been so busy, but am eager to get back to it. It's definitely helping and can certainly see an improvement in how far I've come.

"My arms will be your prison" - My Boyfriend [♥] Our LDR Blog!

Started Talking - October 2012
      Started Dating - 08.11.12
      First Meeting - 08.12.13 - 39 days together
      Second Meeting - 16.12.15 - 31 days together

Rosetta Stone Progress
      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
      22 / 60

Comment

Originally posted by SmileyK View Post
        Hi and welcome to the forum! We certainly continue to find these documents helpful! Have completed a full budget-goal for a move which includes rough estimates on moving items, flights, immediate furniture and household items, and an emergency fund should we need to return to the other country. It's so nice to have an actual figure in mind now.

I'd certainly recommend Rosetta Stone. I kind of flew through the first bit as I'd already learnt a few of the basic phrases and words they were teaching at the start, but was great to go over them again in different contexts and start putting them into sentences. I've neglected it much more than I should lately though and it's been at a stand still... haven't really used it since about Christmas as I've just been so busy, but am eager to get back to it. It's definitely helping and can certainly see an improvement in how far I've come.
        Thank you for the greetings!

Yes I see. Those are helpful things! I am also very new still to my LDR so it will be awhile but I hope when we are ready we may also be able to do things like that to be prepared. Emergency fund is definitely a smart idea as well and easy to forget with everything else that would be happening. Thank you so much again!

Ok, I have heard some people say Rosetta Stone is good and some people say it is bad. It is very expensive so I wanted to know if it was worth the money so maybe I will look into more because I feel like I am learn so very slowly on my own. I hope you will have luck with learning a language and everything else too! Thank you again for the advice!

Comment

Working...
        X