Working Holiday -- Where to stay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working Holiday -- Where to stay?

So this isn't something that would be happening before my graduation in 2013, and it's still not set in stone as there's a lot to consider, but I'm curious...

My partner and his brother are currently living together and receiving government help to afford/pay their rent based on their circumstances. Though I'm unsure of what the arrangement will be when I start filling out the applications for a visa, let's assume it's the same. Both my partner and I would love to be able to live with one another while I'm there, to give living together a go, as marriage is something we have both spoken about, but would the fact I'm bringing in income screw up the help they're receiving? Or would I be able to stay there as a guest due to the type of visa I'd be going under (as I understand it, one's not obligated to work the entire time on a working holiday, though that would be the ideal situation, of course)? As a guest, I can legally stay in Ireland three months, but if it were any longer than that, would the landlord have to be involved as well as their welfare officers?
    { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
    Met online: February 2009
    Feelings confessed: December 2010
    Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
    Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
    First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
    Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
    Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
    Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
    to be continued...

Hmmmm I would think if you're not legally married to your partner your income shouldn't affect their benefits. As far as staying for more than 3 months you would probably need a working visa which the company you're working for can help you apply for. If terms of the landlord, you might want to ask your partner to find out will they charge you for over staying. Is there a way the landlord will find out you're over staying? If not then I would just be hush about it

Comment

Originally posted by Jgui View Post
      Hmmmm I would think if you're not legally married to your partner your income shouldn't affect their benefits. As far as staying for more than 3 months you would probably need a working visa which the company you're working for can help you apply for. If terms of the landlord, you might want to ask your partner to find out will they charge you for over staying. Is there a way the landlord will find out you're over staying? If not then I would just be hush about it
      No, I will have a visa. Based on the fact we do want to think about marriage, there is no way I will be screwing with the terms of it. :P Also I wouldn't be able to stay for so long/work without a visa.

I had considered that we're not married/related so that would mean my income would not legally affect their benefits, but I wasn't sure, and I have a feeling we're going to have to get the landlord involved either way, simply because, well, it's the landlord. :P

But we'll see. I feel like it will work out the way it's meant to and it's a long ways off regardless. It will depend entirely on what their situation is a year from now and if they'll be continuing to lease out where they're staying now and so on. Simply based on the repercussions of violating anything on a visa, everyone will likely be involved even if they don't have to be/it seems like a complete no brainer.

Though the more I think about it... My mother's a social worker for the developmentally disabled and mentally ill and even when her clients have had to move and required roommates, they still receive the same amount of government help; their rent simply has to be divided between them/the roommate and the government obviously will not pay for the roommate. I wonder if it'd work similarly in Ireland...

I suppose we will figure it out then. The idea simply has made me eager now and I'm trying to figure things out and keep things in perspective and plan more or less accordingly, as whether I have a return ticket or not when I go over (not sure if I'm going to book one before I go or not), I want to go with around 5000.00 on hand.
      { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
      Met online: February 2009
      Feelings confessed: December 2010
      Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
      Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
      First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
      Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
      Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
      Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After