Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doing a Masters degree abroad and closing the distance..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doing a Masters degree abroad and closing the distance..

My boyfriend is thinking about (or better already trying) to apply for a Masters's degree in a university that is close to where I live!

I'm very excited right now, because he could maybe start in September or October!!

There is also a possibility of him getting a scholarship!!

What do you all think about the possibility of doing a Masters study abroad (in your SO's country) and so close the distance?

I had considered it, but unfortunately, my major is psychology, and as a result of that, to do my graduate (postgraduate it's called there? I think?) studies abroad, I would more or less have to do a 1-2 year conversion course. :/

However, I did consider it. I think the most important things to consider would be money (it's not as easy to find financial help for graduate studies abroad as it is for one's undergraduate studies abroad) and whether or not it's in his best interests for his degree. For example, doing a conversion course and getting my graduate degree in psychology, which especially since I want to work in clinical psychology is a very regional degree, would probably not be in my best interests considering I also hope to ulimately move back to California with my SO in tow. :P So unfortunately getting my degree abroad may not be what's in my best interests for my career. If he's in a more flexible degree (I believe business, language, etc. degrees are pretty flexible/general across colleges and degree programs), then he should be fine, but I do think he needs to consider what's best for him and his future, regardless of you.
    { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
    Met online: February 2009
    Feelings confessed: December 2010
    Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
    Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
    First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
    Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
    Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
    Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
    to be continued...

Comment

He is studying Software-Engineering, so I think that is pretty much the same everywhere . Also he would like to work here in Austria after that, so the degree would fit then .

But as for now, it's still very uncertain. He is checking requirements right now..

Comment

I'm currently in the process of applying for my master's degree in Anglophone Studies in Paris to hopefully close the distance at the end of this summer. I would tell your SO to really get a move on with his applications--I don't know about Austrian universities, but the French universities' deadlines are anywhere between the end of January to the beginning of April. It's especially important depending on where he lives, because he'll probably have to get a lot of documents translated, which is a difficult process to expedite (well, at least with the American translation companies I've worked with).

Comment

Wow! That sounds great! I wish you all the luck for your application!

The deadline for the university here is 30th of May, but he is already in contact and if they say he is qualified, he'll get the translation. Yes they cost and it needs a bit of time! But everything will be good I think!

Comment

My boyfriend's coming to Germany for his Master's degree.
            Unfortunately not anywhere really near and I'm doing my Master's half in his country, soo um, we're not closing the distance with that directly. However him having Polish undergrad and German master studies and me getting a bi-national Master's makes it possible for us to live in either countries. So we'll have more options to close the distance eventually.

I was so nervous about his application process, but it was really a lot easier than I had thought. Getting the documents translated and getting certified copies was a bit of a hassle (and the lady at the municipal office where I got the copies certified was a huge *****, complaining that it takes ages. Well, excuse me, that's your effing job if you don't like it, get another one!!), but all in all it wasn't as bad as I had thought.
            He didn't need to do any motivational letters or essays or anything. Apparently there's not a lot of competition in railway engineering

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

sounds great that you both learn both languages like this! but with him in Germany maybe it will be easier and cheaper to meet?

When is his Master starting?

Good luck to you both!

Comment

A friend of mine (she's Spanish) went to Australia to do her master tehre because her SO lives there! I think it's a great way to be close to each other! Also, you can help him with the required documents and procedures! Good luck to both of you!

Comment

Thank you Kiara!

I also think it's a good opportunity and I can always help him with the things here! Even more because he doesn't really speak German yet

Comment

Originally posted by Lilly9886 View Post
                    sounds great that you both learn both languages like this! but with him in Germany maybe it will be easier and cheaper to meet?

When is his Master starting?

Good luck to you both!
                    He's needs to do a one semester German course before he can start uni. So he's starting the course in April (possibly at my university, we'd live together for half a year!) and his Master's programme starts in October.
                    I'm most likely moving to his city in October for one year, but we'll still be closer than we are now (500km instead of 900km).

I'm so proud of him for getting accepted (they'll take him if he passes a C1-Test in German) and for going through the effort of learning German.

Comment

You must be so excited about spending half a year with him and be closer after that too!!

I'm excited for you!

Wow, C1 is a high level! So his German is very good already?

Comment

He has a B2 exam in about a month, and he passed B1 half a year ago. So getting to C1 in half a year, especially while attending an intensive cours and living in Germany is definitely possible.
                        He can already say and understand a lot. It's only that it takes him a lot of time to build sentences, which frustrates him endlessly. I've already told him 100 times, that speaking slowly is actually a good thing. I sure would like to be better at it

We don't really speak German together a lot, though. I mainly see his progress through the homework he reads me and the mails he sends my mum (they forward me all their mails and it's the cutest thing ever!!)

Comment

When my SO and I move back to the states he wants to continue his education with a master's, he's a mechanical engineer. But he needs to finish his damn bachelor's degree first!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lilly9886 View Post
                            Thank you Kiara!

I also think it's a good opportunity and I can always help him with the things here! Even more because he doesn't really speak German yet
                            If he doesn't speak German, how is he going to do graduate-level work at a university in Austria?

Comment

Dziubka, I believe with practice he'll pass the exam!
                              I know how you feel about not talking much German with him :/

lucybelle, that sounds like a good plan to me! Good luck!

CynicalQuixotic, at this university, they have one English-speaking program, where all the classes are in English! luckily it's a degree he is interested in. If not for this one degree, there are still a lot of English classes here at the universities. When he was here as an exchange student, he only took English classes.
                              I'm very glad it exists!

Comment

Working...
                              X