Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doing a Masters degree abroad and closing the distance..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had already planned to do my Masters abroad before I met my SO. But I will be applying for programs in the UK and hopefully I'm as close as I can get.

Comment

Originally posted by Lilly9886 View Post
      Dziubka, I believe with practice he'll pass the exam!
      I know how you feel about not talking much German with him :/

lucybelle, that sounds like a good plan to me! Good luck!

CynicalQuixotic, at this university, they have one English-speaking program, where all the classes are in English! luckily it's a degree he is interested in. If not for this one degree, there are still a lot of English classes here at the universities. When he was here as an exchange student, he only took English classes.
      I'm very glad it exists!
      I'm glad his English is good enough to apply! I wish you both the best of luck

Comment

I did my Master's degree abroad and for me it was a really good decision. I was accepted into an international program at a well-known private university and the whole experience overall was very positive. The application process was a bit of a pain, but eventually it all worked out. The school really helped all the incoming students to integrate into life there...ie. helping to open bank accounts, drafting support letters for landlords. There were several students in my program who applied to the program to be closer to their SO's and it seemed to me to be a really great way to go about closing the distance.

And in case you're interested in knowing...I studied International Public Management in Milan, Italy.

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
          When my SO and I move back to the states he wants to continue his education with a master's, he's a mechanical engineer. But he needs to finish his damn bachelor's degree first!!
          My SO is a mechanical engineer too ...well, almost. He finishes his degree in December of this year and I believe will be working with the national water company in Nicaragua.

Comment

digitalfever, I think that's great! So your SO is from the UK and you're trying to go there now?
            Good luck for applying!

CynicalQuixotic, yes, I'm so glad his English is so good! It's also the language we communicate in for now . Thank you!

books, your experience sounds amazing! was it an English program or did you do it in Italian?

Comment

I am in the process of applying for graduate school here in the US...in fact I am sending my application off tomorrow! 0_o

Comment

digitalfever, I think that's great! So your SO is from the UK and you're trying to go there now?
                Good luck for applying!
                Thanks! I need all the good vibes I can get.

Comment

I did my Masters degree abroad (UK). At that time my SO was still living in Germany (my home county) so going abroad actually caused us to be long distance Now we're long distance again but unfortunately the distance is much wider this time around.

Good luck to all of you who are applying at the moment or planing to apply! It's a great experience and if it helps you to be closer to your SO I am sure it's even better!!

Comment

We live in the same country, but I did consider going to grad school near him to close the distance. We even decided on a city that was about halfway between his school and the one I would have been going to where we could get an apartment together. Unfortunately, tuition and cost of living in his area are so high that it wasn't a practical idea Our current plan is for him to apply to graduate schools in my state in a few years, since it's cheaper here. If that falls through, we'll have to wait until I finish grad school to close the distance.

Comment

books, your experience sounds amazing! was it an English program or did you do it in Italian?
                      The program itself was in English, although being in an Italian university, many seminars and networking events were in Italian only. After finishing my internship (an English-speaking post with the UN), I went on to work as a researcher in an Italian research center (working in Italian). So, that's to say although the program was in English, I was exposed to academic level Italian throughout my studies and graduated with a good understanding of many of the technical terms related to my profession.

Comment

Good luck for you, Madge!

littlethinktank, I'm sure it's always worth it studying abroad. Even if sometimes it causes and LDR. Too bad for you that you are LD again though!

I wish you both luck, whatever you decide, Lumos!

books, it's always positive to know some more languages .

Comment

I'm studing in Germany to become a teacher.. I will finish next year my first stateexamine.. and then should work in a school for two years to get my second one and become an offical teacher.. This would mean three more years of LDR, and I don't know if I can do this. But if I decide to close the distance I could not work until I finish my studies, but it is really expensive to study there and I would just get a work permit if I'm a permanent resident.. I don't know what to do

Comment

Hello lala! what about him? what is he doing? would he consider coming to Germany for some time?

Comment

My SO and I are actually going something similar but would both be transplanting to the UK if things work out. She is able to do an exchange program for the last 6-12 months of her masters at the school in the UK and it would also be a top program for me as well... so kind of a win win if we both get accepted, need to get my application sorted in the next month and then play the waiting game....and work on my Polish as well

Comment

Hello lala! what about him? what is he doing? would he consider coming to Germany for some time?

he is studying marketing business.. and he can't speak any German.. so there is no chance for him to close the distance -.-
                                but he will come this summer to get to know everyone..

Comment

Working...
                                X