Obtaining Canadian Work Permit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lala View Post
    ok but what for a visa would I need for working in a bar or shop, those jobs I don't need an Universit degree or any "special skills"?
    and can I get a common-law visa when I'm in the country,shoudl work?
    Good luck getting that unless you marry a Canadian or you get something like a Working Holiday Visa.

Most Western countries don't have unskilled work visas anymore. Especially given that most countries have rising unemployment.

Comment

Originally posted by Tooki View Post
      The catch (as in all countries with that scheme) is that you get the work permit if you are married to a national.

I have no doubt about that, but I know heaps of Australians who have gone over there with that visa. It took them around a month to get the visa. I don't think it is a hard visa to obtain as long as you have a few thousand dollars in savings.

I know Estonia needs money so they let people in easily. They don't get people who want to freeload off the welfare system as they don't really have one.

She could move to Australia but it costs about $23,000 AUD per year to study. It is just as hard to get her here unless we marry.
      and you finished studying?
      well then it would be perfect if you stay in Estonia.. if you guys move to another country it would be much more complicated and there she would probably pay a lot for studying..

Comment

Originally posted by lala View Post
        ok but what for a visa would I need for working in a bar or shop, those jobs I don't need an Universit degree or any "special skills"?
        and can I get a common-law visa when I'm in the country,shoudl work?
        Have you been living together for 1 year at the same residence?

If you want to immigrate as the conjugal partner you must provide evidence that the two have maintained a conjugal relationship for at least one year. So whatever application you put together (conjugal or common-law) must prove at least one year in a "marriage-like" relationship. If you apply conjugal (with 11 months of proof) intending to change status to common law when you qualify you will run the risk of having your application returned for the same reasons scylla mentioned earlier regarding applying early for common law.

EDIT: I saw that your in country. Can you tell me about your situation. It's hard to give you good advice when I'm getting very little information. Example, what visa your here on etc...

Comment

Well this has gone pretty off topic xD I just wanted to hear if any others had success with the work visa process. Maybe I should've been more specific--any experience as a temporary worker? Trying to get all of this closing the distance business is exhausting xD I'm in Canada with my boyfriend now as a visitor. Our options are pretty limited due to our financial situation :/ I just left my job and he is currently looking for work. Pretty much everything seems impossible at the moment but by some miracle I was hoping maybe I could get a work permit and come back up here as a temporary worker. So frustrating. You need to have money to come make money lol xD Savings are all but depleted as I've been up here for almost two months already. Um...thanks for the replies, but I was hoping for more personal experiences regarding it all. Any success stories?? xD But thanks all for your input

Comment

I only skimmed this thread, but:
            Canada has a good Working Holiday Program and it's available to many countries.
            Both Canada and Australia have common law/defacto visas, you do not need to be married if you can prove you have lived with your SO for a year.
            It is hard to get a Work Visa.
            Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Look into getting a working-holiday visa.

Comment

Alrighty will check out the working holiday visa. I've seen the common law mentioned a few times--that's not an option for me at the moment, but thanks for the suggestion Thanks for help all

Comment

So funny..I'd never heard of the working holiday visa until now, but even funnier is the fact that the United States is not on the list of participating countries >.< There's a list of other programs to travel through, though so I'll look at all of those I suppose. This search gets more and more depressing every day lol. Canada is so diverse and yet it feels impossible to get here xD I dunno, I guess I was thinking it'd be a bit easier being a US Citizen and all. Our other option is going to the States for a while. So funny--for my boyfriend to obtain a greencard in the US all he really needs is his long form birth certificate and proof that he has 50% or more blood of the American Indian race >.< Ughhh xD But we still need money. Meh. Well thanks so much everyone. Off to do more reading...

Comment

Getting a work permit up in Canada is hard, I got one and actually have my Canadian Citizenship test coming up soon. I'm an american but i went to school up in Canada, graduated and then started working. Unless you have Canadian work experience, a university degree or even a skilled worker in certain fields it will likely be very impossible for you to get the work permit. Finding a job up in Canada as a visitor isn't possible either as almost all jobs require you to give them your SIN card at the interview and even more so if you are a foreigner working up there.

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

Originally posted by Riyko View Post
                      Getting a work permit up in Canada is hard, I got one and actually have my Canadian Citizenship test coming up soon. I'm an american but i went to school up in Canada, graduated and then started working. Unless you have Canadian work experience, a university degree or even a skilled worker in certain fields it will likely be very impossible for you to get the work permit. Finding a job up in Canada as a visitor isn't possible either as almost all jobs require you to give them your SIN card at the interview and even more so if you are a foreigner working up there.
                      That's untrue. If they ask you for your SIN Card you should be reporting them.

Comment

Originally posted by digitalfever View Post
                        That's untrue. If they ask you for your SIN Card you should be reporting them.
                        I actually contacted the government about it, they said if you are a foreigner they have a right to ask for your SIN card, so if they choose to hire you they know you are legally able to work in the country as well as they need a copy of your work permit. Believe me i read a lot into it when i originally started working in Canada while being an international student and i had a company ask for it, so after that i called the government and they told me for foreign workers they can ask for it as a way to prove you are legally able to work in Canada. The reason is because the citizen SIN cards are different than the foreigner SIN cards, mine started with a 9 where as those born in canada theirs start with 2-3 in the province i was living in as well as my SIN card had an exp date on it.

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

Originally posted by Riyko View Post
                          I actually contacted the government about it, they said if you are a foreigner they have a right to ask for your SIN card, so if they choose to hire you they know you are legally able to work in the country as well as they need a copy of your work permit. Believe me i read a lot into it when i originally started working in Canada while being an international student and i had a company ask for it, so after that i called the government and they told me for foreign workers they can ask for it as a way to prove you are legally able to work in Canada. The reason is because the citizen SIN cards are different than the foreigner SIN cards, mine started with a 9 where as those born in canada theirs start with 2-3 in the province i was living in as well as my SIN card had an exp date on it.
                          Really? That's interesting and good to know.

Comment

Originally posted by halliekins View Post
                            So funny..I'd never heard of the working holiday visa until now, but even funnier is the fact that the United States is not on the list of participating countries >.< There's a list of other programs to travel through, though so I'll look at all of those I suppose. This search gets more and more depressing every day lol. Canada is so diverse and yet it feels impossible to get here xD I dunno, I guess I was thinking it'd be a bit easier being a US Citizen and all. Our other option is going to the States for a while. So funny--for my boyfriend to obtain a greencard in the US all he really needs is his long form birth certificate and proof that he has 50% or more blood of the American Indian race >.< Ughhh xD But we still need money. Meh. Well thanks so much everyone. Off to do more reading...
                            I don't normally post but no one else has told you about the TN and you should definitely look into it. The US, Canada and Mexico have a NAFTA trade agreement where any citizen of these countries can work in one of the other countries with only a job offer that fits their list of job descriptions. Note that a university degree (or in some cases, several years of experience) is required. But the company does not have to prove they can't hire any local worker, and there is also no annual limit on how many TNs are handed out. As well, you can apply for a new TN indefinitely. They last 1-3 years I think. All you do is show up at the airport with your job offer and TN application, do an interview, and you're on your way. If they accept you of course.

If you don't have a degree or the required experience yet, it doesn't help quite yet, but if you do have them, it's a MUCH easier solution than a work permit. Google the TN for more information, but here is a list of the possible job titles that fit, with their requirements: https://www.tnvisaexpert.com/overview/nafta_job_list/.

Hope it helps someone.

Comment

Working...
                            X