Closing the Distance Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Closing the Distance Issue

My boyfriend and me have been together for a year already and we're trying to decide who moves where. We want to reach a decision or at least have a rough plan by the end of July, during his visit at my place. We've been looking at what our current circumstances are and what goals the other has.

I get out of school in July and am currently writing my dissertation. I'm planning on getting into work afterwards and after a year I want to do another degree because I want to become a full-time teacher. All while working part-time. He on the other hand already works full-time as a draftsman while working on furthering is education. He also wants to do a bachelor of architecture. These are the circumstances and goals we have. I could easily move since I'm fresh out and don't have a job that permamently ties me down. He does and we recently heard that if he moves to me (we were thinking for a year or two and then permamently move to him) and then goes back, there is a good possibility that he'd have to wait two years until he finds another job in his branch and in the area where he lives. So moving to me if it is just temporary isn't a very good idea in this case. The picture is quite clear now. Now here's the thing where I get stuck: My current education is only applicable in my country because of certain circumstances, which is terribly annoying, but since I'm planning on getting a bachelor of education anyway that wouldn't be a problem, right? It wouldn't be a huge problem, yes, but I'd have to deal with college fees in his country which I wouldn't have to pay if I'd go to one in my own country. And they're super expensive in his country! We both be hardpressed working and studying at the same time, not to mention the financial burden we'd be shouldered with. I'm sure we can deal with it. The only thing that scares me is moving to his country. He already asked me once at the beginning and the second time just recently when we got into talking about moving again. Both times I said I don't know. I'm not sure I'd want to move and can be happy in his country too, but I've already been there and I know I liked it. I don't understand why I'm still being hot and cold about it?! I feel like I'm being silly wanting to visit my SO's country one more time before making a definitive decision to move to him. Anyone felt that way about your SO's country or had any issues about closing the distance? Advice please!

I think you just need to wait it out and get your degree in your current country.

I am in a similar situation. I currently study and I could transfer to somewhere near her but as I'm not an EU citizen, I need to have ~10,000 euros in savings per year (which my family doesn't have to spare) JUST TO GET A STUDENT VISA (Add on more for expenses etc). Studying in Australia isn't an option for her either because the tuition fees for a non-AU/NZ citizen is around $23,000 AUD per year.

I also am entitled to a lot of financial assistance/scholarships that I can't get outside of Australia.

We have realised that I will need to finish my degree then try to move to Europe with it. My university is within the top-150 in the world so it should be recognised.

Comment

You're not silly. I loved visiting my SO's country, but man I hated living there!!

The thing you need to ask yourself is: what are you willing to sacrifice?

The things I can see are: He could sacrifice a couple of years of working in his feild/ delay his career. You could sacrifice a butt-tonne of money to study in his country. You could both sacrfice becomming closed-distance to continue your education/career paths. etc.

You have to find the thing you're most willing to give up or delay.
      For Obi and I, that was my career. I had early entry into uni, but I gave that up and moved to Canada for a couple of years instead. Now I see that I'm not going to go to uni (at least not this decade) and I'm still waiting for my chance to study so I can have a career. - For some people, that would have been too much to sacrifice, but for me it was worth it.

Prioritize. Is being with him more important than keeping thousands of dollars? Is being debt-free more important than having career jobs right now? etc.
      Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Is university in Austria free even for non EU-citizens?
        If yes, could he get his Bachelor's in architecture in Austria?

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

Don't worry for your worries It's all normal when it comes to move to another country, and South Africa is pretty far. I think that you shouldn't rush and consider all the possibilities. As Dziubka suggested, your SO might study in Austria. Or, simply, you might go to your SO for another long visit and take a break before continuing to study, just to see if ideas get cleare in your mind.

Comment

Since the first time I came to Germany, and even before that, I knew its where I wanted to spend my life. so i didn't have this problem. I don't know what I would do in your circumstances... as I wouldn't be happy if I spent my whole life in Brazil, my own country. so if you feel strongly that you wouldn't be happy there, i would think twice before giving up furthering your education in your own country
            our story.

sigpic

02.02.2012 - When we got married and closed the distance once and for all

"If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you'll find an excuse."

Comment

Unfortunately, university in Austria is not free for non-EU citizens, I think!

But I think the idea of a long visit, or doing practicas or something, and living with him in South Africa would help to decide if you could be happy there!

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone!

As far as I know, students from foreign countries are not exempt from tuition fees except for those who have Austrian citizenship or at least long-term residendcy permit and I don't think he'll want to move to my country long-term. Especially not, if he can't work and study at the same time, but since we're just talking about it and no decision-making just yet, maybe it IS better to have another long visit to decide for myself if I like it there enough to want to live there. Looks like I do better if I listen to my gut feeling....

Comment

Working...
                X